Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS 4 on USB stick
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
If I copy the contents of my OS4.1 CD to a USB stick can I install the OS to my SSD from there or does it have to always boot from the CD?

Also can I install OS4.1 including all the updates (1, 2, 3 and 4) on a SD Card or USB stick and boot from it?

Thanks!

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4 on USB stick
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TheDaddy

It's a good question. I've tried multiple methods of booting from a USB stick, such as partitioning it with media toolbox, installing the bootloader, formatting with SFS/0, etc. that didn't work. i've tried using DD to copy the OS4.1 install CD image to the stick to boot from it. that didn't work. and of course i had to set up uboot to boot from the USB device at startup in both cases.

that said i'm an amiga noob, so it's possible there is a method. i'd quite like for there to be one as well. regardless of the inability to boot, i have a USB stick partitioned exactly like my system and work disks and use it as a backup device. never needed it, but nice to know it's there.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
TheDaddy wrote:

Also can I install OS4.1 including all the updates (1, 2, 3 and 4) on a SD Card or USB stick and boot from it?
I'm assuming this is on a Sam 460ex (since you talk about booting from SD).

I did at one point set up a system partition on an SD card and booted from it successfully. It was shortly after I got the machine (when it was still in beta), so I didn't have updates 3 and 4 on there - but that shouldn't matter much.

It did work nicely, but I stopped using it, as the boot was quite slow compared to booting from HD.

But at least I can confirm it can be done.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi Niels,

SAM440ep, via USB stick (I meant a USB pen drive or a SD Card inside a USB adapter).

If it can be done how?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'm not sure about the USB stick, I never tried that.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post