Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Insert volume CONSOLE: error
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I am getting the below message often after which the system crashes.

Please insert volume
CONSOLE:
in any drive

At first it seemed it only happens when I was downloading something in both browsers NetSurf and OWB. But now it also pops up when trying to install software or run any software. Anyone knows why? My system is a A1SE with OS4 Pre-release with all the latest updates.

Coder

Can't get enough of me?
The Bucket Diary
Go to top
Re: Insert volume CONSOLE: error
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I would suggest trying to find what is asking for CONSOLE:. It sounds like an assign somewhere.

Click on WB background, type RAmiga/F to bring up the Find command.
Select your system partition only, type "#?" in the "Pattern" gadget and "CONSOLE:" in the "Contents" gadget. That should find any references to the string "CONSOLE:" in your assigns or prefs.
If that doesn't find it, then search the partition where things like the browsers are stored, etc.

(All strings without the quotes, of course).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

CONSOLE: is not an assign, it is a file name which points to the console window the program was started from. Just like "*" did in early AmigaDOS versions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It happens with several applications and not just one.

Coder

Can't get enough of me?
The Bucket Diary
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
If you have clean installation of OS4, you should check that only one partition has the kickstart mdoules, they are loaded from the first bookable partition, So also check media toolbox.

If you have backups but this in a sub directory so they are not found at boot time.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
My system is a A1SE with OS4 Pre-release with all the latest updates.

I wonder if CONSOLE: was present on OS4.0 ? At some point it become the (preferred) alternative to "*" from OS3.x days.

I use CONSOLE: in some of my (wierd) code without even wondering if OS4.0 supported it.

EDIT: It might have even been supported by OS3.x? It is supported by AROS & MorphOS, which would suggest it was.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

CONSOLE: should have replaced '*' in OS2 if I'm not mistaken. The very strange '*' has been deprecated since OS3 at least.

From dos autodocs/SystemTagList (which have change from '*' to CONSOLE: since last I ready it):
----
Note that you MUST NOT pass the same filehandle for both SYS_Input and SYS_Output. If you want input and output to both be to the same CON: window, pass a SYS_Input of a filehandle on the CON: window, and pass a SYS_Output of NULL. The shell will automatically set the default Output() stream to the window you passed via SYS_Input, by opening "CONSOLE:" on that handler.
----

What have always puzzled me with this is the last part "by opening "CONSOLE:" on that handler". What the #$% des that mean??! "on that handler". How could you ever open anything ON another handler??!

Really strange phrasing, or am I just too swedish?

Anyway, CONSOLE: is something built-in and should never bring up a Please insert.. requester unless something is pretty screwed up I think.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Deniil wrote:

From dos autodocs/SystemTagList (which have change from '*' to CONSOLE: since last I ready it):
----
Note that you MUST NOT pass the same filehandle for both SYS_Input and SYS_Output. If you want input and output to both be to the same CON: window, pass a SYS_Input of a filehandle on the CON: window, and pass a SYS_Output of NULL. The shell will automatically set the default Output() stream to the window you passed via SYS_Input, by opening "CONSOLE:" on that handler.
----

What have always puzzled me with this is the last part "by opening "CONSOLE:" on that handler". What the #$% des that mean??! "on that handler". How could you ever open anything ON another handler??!
Could it be a typo? Would it make more sense if it said "on that handle" (i.e. filehandle) instead?

But I agree, it is not a very clear statement. At least not for somebody (like me) without much previous Amiga systems programming experience.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The shell is a handler, DOS starts up a process for it
and sends it a startup packet, just like any other
handler, and CON: is also a handler that starts up when
you try to do; IDOS->Open("CON:///"...).

Opening "CONSOLE:" simply means the IDOS->Open() function
will fetch the CON: handler port from pr_ConsolePort
of that shell process and send it another open request.

I'll tweak the autodoc...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
In the worse case I would re-install the OS.

Coder

Can't get enough of me?
The Bucket Diary
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Coder
Your original post states that you are using OS4 pre-release. Any software that is designed for OS 4.1 or later might be expected to cause problems. I don't know if NetSurf or OWB specifically state that they require at least OS 4.1 but I would suspect that they do. That may be the case for other programs too.

Edited by xenic on 2011/10/17 17:37:51
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@colinw

I see. I read it as "open CONSOLE: on a (file)handle" and wondered how anything could ever be opened ontop of another already opened file handle! That there is talk about a handler (task) somewhere in there attached to a CON: required to parse arguments felt pretty distant.

There's a lot of magic around these handlers and devices.

After programming Amiga for over 15 years it was only last week I actually got to see one of these mythical RKRM books, which doesn't appear to exist in electronical form.

This means people have to rely on autodocs alone and so they cannot be this cryptical and assume everyone has one of these ancient RKRM book in their shelf, and have actually read and understood them as well.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil

Quote:

After programming Amiga for over 15 years it was only last week I actually got to see one of these mythical RKRM books, which doesn't appear to exist in electronical form.

Developer CD 2.1 has the RKRM books in AmigaGuide and HTML formats.

You won't find much information about AmigaDOS in the RKRMs though. There is the AmigaDOS manual (for users, advanced users and developers) which is also on the Dev CD and has some information on dos.library but the best source of information on dos.library, filesystems and handlers would probably be the Amiga Guru Book by Ralph Babel (unfortunately the only way to get hold of it ATM seems to be by pirating it).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
the Amiga Guru Book by Ralph Babel (unfortunately the only way to get hold of it ATM seems to be by pirating it)

It almost seems they want us to pirate it, by cancelling the decision to print a revised version (which they blamed on piracy of the old out-of-print version - go figure).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Unfortunately, that book is considerably out of date
with the current evolution of AmigaDOS, it is of very
limited value, maybe if you want to stay with OS1,2,3 68K
versions it may have enough info to be somewhat usefull.

Things move on and with the next SDK you will be quite
surprised how much new and detailed information is now
included for AmigaDOS, and how much of the "mystery"
element is now resolved.

I have spent a considerable amount of time addressing
the lack of programmer documentation and cleaning up the
huge amount of "mystery" and "magic" required to understand
the basic workings of the dos.library.

I have also addressed much of the extensive complexity of writing
filesystems for the AmigaOS too, details will be released
in the next public SDK.

Go to top