Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A 4000 + GVP A4060 (TREX II) startproblems
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello!

I've got some misterious problems with my Amiga 4000 and the GVP A4060 accelerator (68060 @ 50 Mhz and 128 MB RAM):

Problem #1:

If I do a cold boot, the machine doesn`t start. That means, the Power-LED is on, but the screen remains black and there is no sign of disk activity.

Now I trigger a reset by keyboard. The system starts normal!!

OK. If I run Workbench-Versions like OS 3.1 where no "SetPatch" command is given, I can do reset by keyboard or software and the system come up again and again.

Problem #2:

If I now run OS 3.9 with SetPatch, the system starts regular, too. But if I do a restet or a crash happens, the system doesn`t start again. That means the Power-LED is flashing (very fast) and the screen is black. The only way out is: Turning off the computer and wait 3 minutes. After that, I can start again. The 68040/68060 libs are the versions of GVP, not the original libs of AmigaOS, of cause.

SAMflex 733 Mhz, 1GB RAM 500 GB HD
Go to top
Re: A 4000 + GVP A4060 (TREX II) startproblems
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Wilfred

Greetings

As for problem 1) I had a similair problem but it required more than 1 reset to get it going... It seems to have to do with the problems associated with age... when you turn off your machine off via the button also turn it off at the wall. Then turn the button on yu machine on again... it won't power up since its turned off at the wall but it will allow static electricity built up in the boards resistors and similair to dissipate... just remember to turn this off again when you go to turn you machine on again... see if it works for you? If it does your machine should boot right through first time...

Makes you wonder in your case at least whether its worth all the hassle if yours boots after one reset... the other more obvious thing is perhaps the system isn't waiting for your harddrives to spin up and goes past the point where the actual harddrive can boot...

As for problem 2) Obviously the loaded modules aren't surviving a reset... you don't have any other strange reset proof software running in the startup as well? Could it be an incompatiable setpatch? Perhaps remove everything except the loading of the kickstart modules?

There are so many variables that really can only be solved by trial and error or exact knowledge of this exact situation... good luck

One last thing I recall is a file in devs I believe NSDPatch.cfg... it's a text file with setting for most boards etc... Setpatch can even disable running this file with a command syntax... I just used to rename it by putting a . at the start of the name then setpatch couldn't find it to execute it... had a look in devs or l for the file and load it up in cygnused or notepad if we must and search for gvp etc,,, maybe your board needs to have the # removed from the start of the line to activate the written settings etc...

check out this page

http://www.gregdonner.org/gvp4060/solutions-help.html

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Wilfred

My current A4000/TrexxII does the same. My previous A4000 with TrexxII and slightly higher rated PSU was fine, so I've put it down to either the PSU or some A4000 revisions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Wilfred

Quote:

Wilfred wrote:
Hello!

I've got some misterious problems with my Amiga 4000 and the GVP A4060 accelerator (68060 @ 50 Mhz and 128 MB RAM):

Problem #1:

If I do a cold boot, the machine doesn`t start. That means, the Power-LED is on, but the screen remains black and there is no sign of disk activity.

Now I trigger a reset by keyboard. The system starts normal!!

OK. If I run Workbench-Versions like OS 3.1 where no "SetPatch" command is given, I can do reset by keyboard or software and the system come up again and again.

Problem #2:

If I now run OS 3.9 with SetPatch, the system starts regular, too. But if I do a restet or a crash happens, the system doesn`t start again. That means the Power-LED is flashing (very fast) and the screen is black. The only way out is: Turning off the computer and wait 3 minutes. After that, I can start again. The 68040/68060 libs are the versions of GVP, not the original libs of AmigaOS, of cause.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts betweeen CPU board and motherboard?
My A4000 with CyberstormPPC has similar probs from time to time.
Up to now I could always fix it by cleaning the contacts with commercial contact spray...

Go to top

Register To Post