Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Futaura, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

KINGSTON 8 GB USB Disk: How can I boot OS 4.0 July on?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi amigans.

I have OS 4.0 July installed inside my recently buyed KINGSTON USB pen/disk and some emulation stuff such games for Sega Master System and Spectrum and It doesn't find the slb v2 when I try to boot from U-Boot.

I formatted it yesterday with SFS/00 filesystem but seems to not boot.

Has any of you booted Workbench from USB disks?

What I must correct to make it possible?

I want it for playing MAME 0.97 and hear if the sound is better than with update 2 of OS4.1 or what happens there.

Any ideas will be welcome.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Re: KINGSTON 8 GB USB Disk: How can I boot OS 4.0 July on?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Plug in the USB stick and open Media Toolbox, either by booting from OS4 CD or HD. You need to select the 'usbdisk.device' and then choose the disk. Click 'Install...' and you see the 'RDB/disk geometry editing' window, in this winodw go down to 'AmigaOne boot code (SLB)' and click 'Install', then 'Ok'.

This should not damage any data on the USB drive (but always best to have a backup).

You should now be able to boot OS4 from the USB drive.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Daniel
If his AmigaOne has OS 4.1 installed on the hard disk, MamePPCA1 will be booting his OS4.0 USB stick with OS 4.1 Kickstart files unless he does a cold reboot (reset). I'm not sure if you can cold boot from a standard USB stick but I have one that accicently boots from a hard reset. It's a 16GB SanDisk with a small read-only partition containing some sort of security software for a Windows PC. The read-only partition identifies itself to the system as a CD. I accidently discovered that if I have the main partiton partitioned and formatted as an Amiga disk (SFS/00) with WorkBench installed, the OS sees the stick as a CD and boots from the Amiga partition. It's strange that it sees the read-only partition as the CD but boots from the Amiga partition. Even stranger, the stick doesn't show up in Media ToolBox as a bootable device but it boots

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

No solution yet even after doing all you say before.

Any ideas?

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MamePPCA1
Quote:

No solution yet even after doing all you say before.
Any ideas?

Actually, it was Daniel that provided a solution. I merely pointed out that if you warm-reboot (Ctrl-A-A) the original boot Kickstart remains in memory and that you will be rebooting with OS 4.0 WorkBench files and OS 4.1 Kickstart. That is likely to cause problems. In order to have a complete OS 4.0 boot, you have to cold-boot (reset button or turn system off and back on) from an OS4 partition or disk.

I never heard of booting from a USB stick on an AmigaOne. I'm using a SAM which uses a completely different UBoot code, which might explain why I can accidently boot from my USB stick that has a read-only CD partition. You can create a bootable CD. There is an article on IntuitionBase that explains how to create a bootable CD.

As far as booting from a USB stick, I'm afraid I can't really help you other than by keeping this thread alive and hopeing that a USB expert jumps in to help.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

Thank you Xenic.

I already have an OS 4.0 July Update Cd created some day with AmiDVD so I suppose I can boot from it but:

Is it possible to use this on an useful manner and have a system as you have it on a HD? In other words can I with only a bootable CD?

I could try it later and is specially for MAME 0.97 to avoid stupid and annoying sound problems that I have experienced since OS 4.1 is on my HD.

And remember that version 1.06 of MAME is so unstable too.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MamePPCA1

I don?t remember when Mass storage became part of the kickstart modules.

Whit AmigaOS4.1 its possible, whit AmigaOS4.0 I don?t know.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

It wasn't a KS module in any 4.0 release - it isn't in my Kickstart directory for 4.0 Final.

Go to top

Register To Post