Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

About DDC capabilities
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi there,

I have a SyncMaster Samsung monitor and noticed its min/max frequencies were not correctly detected by OS4.1's DDC.
I was about to report a bug on the OS4 bugzilla when I wanted to check on a WinXP machine.

Guess what? It's wrong even on Win!

So beware some monitors out there don't play by the rules!

(I used this software on Win: DTuner)

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Re: About DDC capabilities
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

Its not uncommon for LCD monitor's to report incorrect DDC information.

I would have thought a Samsung would be ok, and only cheap chinese "brands" more likely to be wrong, but I guess not.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

Same for me :-/

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Elwood

See, you are so quick to doubt OS4 :)

In actual fact, DDC information is not the only type of data that is reported wrongly by many devices out there.
Many USB devices (especially the cheaper Asian variety) simply don't care about standards at all, and what's even more shocking is the amount of well branded items that don't adhere to the rules of their class either. This is one of the reasons Linux has a huge blacklist of USB devices, and why MicroSoft get the manufacturers to write their own drivers.

How anyone can expect OS4 to keep up with shitty hardware that just doesn't play by the rules, I don't know. What's even more of a problem is that the list of "dirty" hardware is growing quicker than the list of developers which try to keep up with it :/

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

Quote:
I would have thought a Samsung would be ok

I've thought Samsung is one who doesn't obey the rules. Anybody making devices cheaper than the rest doesn't follow the rules/standards most likely.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
@Elwood

See, you are so quick to doubt OS4 :)

In actual fact, DDC information is not the only type of data that is reported wrongly by many devices out there.
Many USB devices (especially the cheaper Asian variety) simply don't care about standards at all, and what's even more shocking is the amount of well branded items that don't adhere to the rules of their class either. This is one of the reasons Linux has a huge blacklist of USB devices, and why MicroSoft get the manufacturers to write their own drivers.

How anyone can expect OS4 to keep up with shitty hardware that just doesn't play by the rules, I don't know. What's even more of a problem is that the list of "dirty" hardware is growing quicker than the list of developers which try to keep up with it :/

Simon

There have been times when I've considered starting a website with a URL such as donotbuythis####.org (insert four letter word of choice at ####), and a companion site called buystuffthatreallyworks.org. They would review products that are utter total ####, and ones that are high quality, respectively. Added to that they would serve as a reminder that buying cheap garbage that doesn't work properly (or serves no useful purpose) and/or breaks too fast is a waste of materials, adds to the growing pile of garbage, and is bad for the environment.

The "I'll buy the cheapest item, and just buy a new one if it breaks" attitude is killing the planet, and is making our jobs harder.

I think that such websites would be a good idea, except I don't have the time to maintain something like this, or deal with the aggravated arguments surrounding which products should and shouldn't be listed on which site.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post