Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
174 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Small question to Norther friends
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello to all norwegian and northern friends,

tonight we had little snow here, I'm in the southern europe at the moment. My question is how do you in the north cope with snowy streets?
They are making a fuss here about 2,5 cm (yes 25 mm) of total snowfall. On the streets it's already melted away but they do have to spread salt.

Is it me being out of sync with reality or is some one able to read my mind and thinks the same about this as me?

p.s. average outside temperature in the past days was 9C actually it's 7 but the weather prevision says temperature drop of 5 degrees, possibly to freezing point.
Oh and it's a town in the middle of nowhere with approx 1000 peasants and a traffic of about 30-120 cars/day..

Go to top
Re: Small question to Norther friends
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Amigo1

I live between Dunnett Head the most nothernly point on the UK mainland, and John O Groats.

We have had hardly any snow at all this year believe it or not. Most of it has been further south

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BillE

Your time will be coming soon.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@magic

There was a bit of snow last night. All gone again now !

It is the howling gales that are more of a problem

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

How has my birth town Perth faired?

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Amigo1

A few centimetres of snow brought Liverpool to a standstill.
Never had enough grit in the city and supplies were low throught the UK.

Quite pathetic really.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

Quote:
How has my birth town Perth faired?

No idea mate it is about 250 miles away. Ask someone in Manchester

Its as relevant, Perth was always roughly half way between my journey from Warrington (my birth town) to home.

The A9 has been blocked several times between Perth and Inverness, but then there is nothing new about that it happens every year, I got caught in that a good few years ago on the way back home after New Year.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigo1

Here it has been a real winter this "year". Lots of snow and has been lying since it first came. Have been temperatures down at -32,2C here. They're salting the roads HEAVILY around here. But if it's too cold the salt won't work. So then the only help is small pieces of rokcs. Don't remember the name for it now. Getting old you know

And this is in norway as you probably understood?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

In Bergen there has been lot of snow. Its a powdery and we are getting used to it by now. Its been a long winter with snow. Traffic today was surprisingly good, exept to Sotra, but those living there can't seem to handle anything

You could read the weather forcast or some weather station in Norway, like my own, http://www.wunderground.com/weatherst ... History.asp?ID=IHORDALA26

(But it doensn't measure snow, I have to install a heating element in my rain gauge to make it melt into it. Now the snow just gathers on top of it and eventually blows away reading zero.)

OS4.1 Sam Flex 733MHz
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Geoshaper

Nice graphs. What equipment are you using for register and make graphs? But you seldom get snow in bergen. Only rain,rain and more rain. Hehe

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigo1

We are generality better equipped during the winter then most countries.

Snow is removed and salt and gravel is spread on the roads, almost on a daily basis to make the roads less slippery

On the cars we have winter tires with rubber whit more friction, some winter tires have tiny spikes, one more thing that prevents accidents in Norway is that Norwegians are used to bad driving conditions, and know what to do if car gets a bit out of control (when you know what to do its fun), its often not the coldest days that are worst but they days where you have ice layer on road and lets say +1 degrees Celsius (melting point), this when you get water layer on top of the ice/show layer, it can be difference between driving in shadows or in the sun (or night or day), this are the days you need keep your eyes on the road.

On bad days we often drive 10 km/t under speed limit, on good says we keep or drive 10km/t over the speed limit, the normal speed limit on country road is 80 km/t, when you get populated arias its 60 km/t.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post