Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Changing the boot priority on RDB via Shell or CLI. Possible?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hey guys,

I?m back with another hairy question

Do you guys know if there are any way to change the boot priority of the partitions on a Harddrive by a shell command?

I have 4 OSes in my A4000 HD, and it?s too boring having to select it via Early Startup Menu all the time i want to boot into a different installation. Or even have to boot into any installation to run HDToolBox to change it before i can boot the system a want to use...

As you guys know any of these systems, given to patches and improvements, have to reboot the machine at least once (so there are 2 boot time delays). So i have to press the two mouse buttons at least twice. My AOS3.9 install boots 3 times. It?s really boring and not pratical.

I would like to do a simple script that could work like a boot selector, changing the partition that have the system i want to use, to the higher priority.

I don?t need to check what priority the partition have. I just need to set it.

Thank you!

Go to top
Re: Changing the boot priority on RDB via Shell or CLI. Possible?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Amiga - still alive & kickin'!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@bamiga2002

As I said in the other forum,

Thank you alot man!

Also Thanks a lot to Thomas that developed this amazingly usefull piece of software

Will try it tonight.

Regards.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@mugo

Also, don't forget that if you interrupt the boot process and select a different boot device, you are stuck with the Kickstart modules from the original boot partition.

For instance, say DH0: is your highest priority partition, but you use the ESS to select DH2: and boot that. Although it makes DH2: the system disk and assigns everything to DH2:, you still have all the Kickstart modules loaded from DH0:, and they may not be compatible with the libraries or other system components on DH2:, so it's not guaranteed to work properly.

Changing the boot priority of the partition is the only way to go.

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post