Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

clint, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

5V Radeon on OS4 classic?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi, I have a 5V Radeon card in my A4000/CS PPC/Mediator system that is working just great under OS 3.9.

I know the Radeon is not working with OS4 native drivers, so I have tried to use the Elbox drivers, as per their instructions in an e-mail to me.

However, I am unable to get it working. While the Radeon screenmodes show up in Screenmode Prefs on OS4, if I try to use or test a screen the machine will freeze.

Does anyone out there have a Radeon working on OS4 classic and if so, how did you get it working?

thanks!

Go to top
Re: 5V Radeon on OS4 classic?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

The best thing is that hyperion could release a quickfix update for classic users to allow them to use the radeon, as the radeon is already supported under amiga os 4.0 ( if you check, you can see the radeon chip in the driver video.. )

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Yes, Radeon is supported but not on classic. There is much more work required in the Radeon ROM initialization that is tricky. UBoot and OpenFirmware handle the graphics card ROM (normally x86 code) initialization, but on the classic there is no uboot or OF...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

Some months ago, Rogue told that it was possible to use the radeon on the classic and that the only limitation at the moment was in the kernel that didn't use it..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

I don't think it was ever really tested, though. I've done extensive testing with it and a debug atiradeon.chip.

The card is properly detected by pcigraphics.card which then passes it to ATIRadeon.chip. Unfortunately ATIRadeon.chip fails to initialize it properly. Hans de Ruiter looked at it and said the ROM isn't being read properly.

...which is why I was inquiring whether or not anyone had it working with the Elbox drivers on OS4.

According to Elbox, all you need to do is copy (from your working OS 3.9 partition:

pci.library to LIBS:
Radeon.card to LIBS:Picasso96
Devs:Monitors/Radeon from your OS3.9 partition to OS4 partition
Devs:Monitors/Radeon.info from your OS3.9 partition to OS4 partition
and comment out PCIGraphics.card and 3dfxVoodoo.chip from OS4 kicklayout

I tried that but unfortunately it freezes shortly after clicking "Test" in screenmode prefs (although the Radeon modes do show up).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@HammerD

*BUMP*

So no one has a Radeon working on OS4 classic with the Elbox drivers? :(

oh well...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

You have to disable in kickstart the pcigraphic.kmod ( i don't remember the exact spelling of the module sorry ) disable the ati chip card, don't use the os4 monitors ( so don't use radeon monitors in devs/monitors ). Instead you have to use elbox drivers ( radeon ) and use the pci.library ( from elbox ) but you need a particular version, and if it is the correct one, the system should not freezes at startup letting you use also the others pci boards connected to the mediator board..

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:
The best thing is that hyperion could release a quickfix update for classic users to allow them to use the radeon, as the radeon is already supported under amiga os 4.0 ( if you check, you can see the radeon chip in the driver video.. )

Well that doesn't mean that classic have already a Radeon support, if you ckeck your OS4.1's Sam CD you can find the old Vodoo video drivers ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Maybe it is not the correct version. The latest radeon.card doesn't work anyway.

I heard someone mention on the Mediator list a radeon.card 1.4b...but I don't have that.

Anyone have it out there?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@HammerD

i don't know.. try to contact elbox maybe they could give you better solution..

Go to top

Register To Post