Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SFS error on the SAM: what could I do ???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I have a SFS error on the caches: partition (where Ibrowse save his caches, mainly).

the error is located on 2 drawers:

Caches: has a block ID error au block xxx
expected was block ID 00x.....
but the block is 00x.....

For sure the rules is often do backup of the Aos and third party compoments and on AOS3.x (arrive one time in 10 years) is to save all on medias, reformat and reinstall.

Now with AOS4.x:

- Is it posible to repair SFS errors with special tools or special manipulations or the rule with SFS is the same as with AOS3.x ????

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: SFS error on the SAM: what could I do ???
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

backup and restore (if you have any sensible data) and don't use disk cache at all with IBrowse (use RAM instead)

If you want to keep a disk based IB cache, create a small partition for caching pourposes only (very fast to recover if something goes wrong)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr
Impressive that you got SFS to error, because I have tons of files, and lots of crashes due to OS4.1 beta bug, and it's still perfectly fine here.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MrodFR

We already gave you all the answsers about this topic on Amiga-NG, and in your own language.

Don't you trust us ?

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

No repair tool for sfs. Just copy the files to another partition,format the one with the errors and copy the files back.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@K-L

Yes, I know K-L and also would like to give the advice to all that rarely SFS could cause problem and don't forget to backup from time to time

The problem arrive on the Caches: partition (1go) with caches from Ibrowse and more than 100mo of no important files.

This is great because I just reformat the partition and copy over.

This error came after less than one year of using the SAM and for sure Ibrowse could sometime do this kind of error apparently.
The only point is that never arrive on my classic during the last 10 years (on the caches: partition of the classic) and only one time on the boot partition on the classic, only.

This is too bad finally, for newbies of AOS4, that not have the rule to sometime do backup to, if really no chance, to lost datas if using SFS on their SAMS. At least a minimal tool for repairing SFS for AOS4 will be greatly appreciated IMHO.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Ok. formatted and work fine again.

On AOS3.x, I use sfscheck for usefull informations about SFS (fragment, buffers,...).

On AOS4.x, there are something the user could control for SFS with tools (defragment, informations, settings the caches of SFS,....) ???

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Get the full SFS archive from joergs homepage and/or have a look at SYS:Utilities/PartitionWizard.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Impressive that you got SFS to error, because I have tons of files, and lots of crashes due to OS4.1 beta bug, and it's still perfectly fine here.

Since the data integrity checking of SFS is less than all covering (AFAIK!) a bit error on the harddisk would give this error. Not really SFSs fault but the disk that starts to show errors.

Only thing one can do (for both SFS and JXFS) when this happens is to try to never touch this part of the disk again, either by leaving the IB cache and choose a new directory without deleteing the old one, or reformat and hope you will get data instead of file system structures over these bad bits the next time.

One bit error in a text document, mp3, picture or movie doesn't matter much, but a bit error in the file system structure can kill the partition. FPS3 handled this a lot better it seemed. SFS seems to keep showing this error, FFS unvalidates and the validator could crash leaving you with a permanently write-protected partition until reformated.

Could be a glitch in the data transfer, especially over a UDMA PATA cable that is pushed to hard, or that isn't 80-wire. In this case a reformat would remove the bad bit and it should never show again

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Deniil

the error came on a HD with less than one year old.

surprising me because SFS said the error and said (on the requester): - retry or - no more requester.

With no more requester, I have continued to do things normally but know the fact that there are errors on the HD.

Copy over the file to another partition give me 2 drawers with errors (IB tree errors) and also 2 files (external archive datas) with errors. I have formatted and copy over the datas and all is fine again.

also, when making a wb/disk/informations and calculate the size, The same SFS error came that could show to the user a method to check if errors or not on the HD.

ALso, I have downloaded the original SFS archive and no SFS AOS4 tools. that mean no SFScheck or setcache available in AOS4 .exe.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

the caches are not settable in the native SFS version.

For checking the integrity of your partition, use Partition Wizard.

About fragmentation, you can use sfscheck 68k, ONLY to look at the amount of fragmentation. Don't use it to defrag, use PartitionWizard "Optimize" tool.

Go to top

Register To Post