Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

[SOLVED] Strange IDE problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The last time I opened my A1, OS 4,1 reported an error on boot that the drive System: is not validated. Somehting that to my limited knowlege means that the OS was unable to recognise this partition.

Have not done anything strange and the machine was shutted down normally before this.

I hard reseted the A1 and reboot and now the OS booted normally and all my partitions worked fine.

But running the diagnostics from UBoot it crushed on the IDE Test showing a message "IDE Test Failed. Press Any Key To Continue..." and then the system goes on crush.

Before someone points this, I have changed mobo battery and have the mahcine cooled perfectly with three fans on the tower which is located next to an air condition device for fresh cool air all the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by CountRaven on 2009/7/8 20:48:09
A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Re: Strange IDE problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CountRaven

If the partition is not validatet its unable to write to disk. I assume you're using ffs partition? Use the fixing tool that comes with os4 to repair the partition. Most likely a couple of files will be removed. If that doesn't help or the problem comes back try formating the partition and copy back the contents.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@CountRaven

The message means that a previous write process was interrupted and that now an automatic validation process is running in the background.

The worst thing you can do is to shut down or reset the computer while it is validating. You should just wait until it is finished (click on Retry regularly).

Fortunately in your case the validation process was already finished and after the reset all worked normally.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I did not reset the computer before the validation finished. I click retry on repeat ending in the AmigaDOS prompt.

I run the PartitionWizard, tested all the partitions and all seem to be ok. I also made a repair just for the case, no prbs again.

Only on the Uboot Diagnostics iI get this message on the IDE test:

Quote:

Write test is disabled
Read succes --> 0

Write test is disabled
Read succes --> 0

Write test is disabled
Read succes --> 0

Write test is disabled
Read succes --> 0

IDE Test failed! Press any key to continue....

If I run it from the UBoot prompt via the "post Idetest command" it does not crush. If I run the diagnostics selection form the UBoot menu then the system crushes.

This is the only thing thta makes me anxious, except that the machine works fine. I am posting from it right now.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ok I tried something sdimple and it worked. Those read / write messages made me thought that the test probably searches for a media into the DVD-RW drive. Placing a DVD into it makes the test to be completed.

As far as the crushes there was no response for the keyboard after the -failed- first test -and this would happend to any "press any key request" by the diagnostic programm- due to the fact that I use a USB to PS2 adaptor to connect my... mouse...! If I place the mouse straight to the USB port then it the machine is not crushing. In any case all the diagnostic tests went well.

Thanks very much for your posts. It was somehting simple after all. But through cases like this I am learning more stuff about my AmigaOne and realise how much etxra care does it need!.

A1-XE/800Mhz
Amiga 4000PPC
Sam440EP/667Mhz
PegasosII G4/1.0GHz
Go to top

Register To Post