Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Newbie Questions!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I got my SAM through today and have managed construct it and to install Workbench onto it and it's all up and running OK apart from the screen resolution.

My monitor has a resolution of 1440 * 900. Unfortunatly this was not an option when installing the OS, nor one now it is installed and I try to amend it via Screenmode.

I understand I can edit the Radeon entry under Devs? But how and what would I add? I thought Notepad would allow me to open it, but it just loads a garbled file?

Any help on sorting this niggle out would be fab!

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: Newbie Questions!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tommo1975

You need to change you sig

Sorry, realise that's no help.

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tommo1975

Quote:
I understand I can edit the Radeon entry under Devs

Select that file and then select "Information" from "Icon" menu of the Workbench. Then add next line to the tooltypes (in "Icon" tab/page): MODE=1440x900@60. (I assume you have a LCD monitor.) (Save and reboot. After reboot select this mode in ScreenMode prefs and save.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Thanks that did it! Now all I need to do is change the wallpaper as it doesn't seem to work at that res!

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommo1975

Quote:

tommo1975 wrote:
@TSK

Now all I need to do is change the wallpaper as it doesn't seem to work at that res!

In WBPattern preferences, have you tried setting Layout to 'ScaleWell'?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@tommo1975

There are some other resolutions of backdrop on the CD.

have a look in CD0:System/Prefs/Presets/Patterns/OS4.1 Backdrops TFT Resolution/

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

I think 1440 * 900 should be there as standard. Alot more people are using widescreen tv/monitors as the norm these days.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@magic

I agree, I use a wide screen monitor with the same
resolution.

IMHO, AmigaOS should adapt to reality, not the other way around.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@RacerX
In OS4, ScaleWell ignores aspect ratio, so pictures get stretched HORRIBLY. In OS3.x ScaleWell kept the aspect ratio, so this was not a problem.

Rogue (IIRC) said they'd look at this, so I am crossing my fingers. I think the fix would be trivial, just a few lines of code.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Hmm, so how would you want a 4:3 image scaled with aspect kept to 1440?900 then? Should it have blank areas at the sides? Or would you rather have the bottom cut off? That is actually what I chose to do for the standard 4.1 WB backdrop on the Sam when I connected it to our 16:9 TV. The Boing Ball lies like a rising sun down at the bottom of the screen - doesn't look too bad.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache
The way OS3.x did it, and the way I'd want, is for the edges of the picture to be lopped off (rather than blank areas added). It should also be centred.

The additional calculations to do this are trivial. (If OS4 were open source, I'd have added it myself...)

It would of course be nice for there to be configuration options, to give the user choice, but if it starts getting too complicated then they won't do it at all.

BTW, rename Scale(Well) to Stretch(Well), and call the "new" option Scale(Well), which is what OS3.x called it.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/4/22 10:26:08
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Right. That actually achieves more or less the same thing as what I do. I have chosen a picture which has the correct width and a larger height than the screen, and set it to Tiled. It doesnt scale, of course, but it fills the screen without distorting the aspect. And as long as both dimensions are equal to or larger than the screen, it will not repeat either (in spite of the "Tiled" name). So all it does is display the top part of the picture, as far as the screen height will let it, and ignore the rest.

Works for me.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post