Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
deskop replica
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Been playing games on the pc this easter. And when downloading programs etc you can just dl them to the desktop so you don't need to search for the packed file. Could this feature be made for os 4? Just dl a lha file to wb and just double click and unpack it. Would make life a bit easier i think.

X5000
Go to top
Re: deskop replica
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Agree 100%

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

Whats wrong with the RAM disk? Or "leaving out" your download dir?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

Life easier at the expense of having crap scattered all over your WB...

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

thats what ram is for

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xeron

I usually dl to ram. But would be easy just clickin the lah file on wb istead of opening the ram disk. And you can just remove the files when you're finished with them.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Quote:

Antique wrote:
@xeron

I usually dl to ram. But would be easy just clickin the lah file on wb istead of opening the ram disk. And you can just remove the files when you're finished with them.

I don't know if you can access Amiga Workbench as you would a directory. But I also don't know if you would want to.

Are you familiar with the "leave out" option for icons?

Create a download directory with icon somewhere on your hard drive such as Main/download. Then use the icons "leave out" option to place a copy of the download icon on the workbench. This gives you quick access to your download directory and keeps your files contained. Have you ever opened an archive to have all the files in the archive created in the same directory you are working in? That could seriously mess up your workbench.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
antique. amigaos4 isnt windows

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kicko

MacOS X have this function and it isn't Windows

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

"Desktop" on windows is a directory, on AmigaOS our equivelant is "Workbench" which is a program, ie you run workbench, but windows doesn't run desktop. Oh! and I think that is the same on MacOSX as well.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

I don?t like that whit Window and Mac, because I forget to delete old files I have no use for, as result the desktop does not look nice.

Is there not a ?.backdrop? file or some thing that describes what files to put on the desktop?

I think this file will be read if the devices is removed and reinserted or possibly busy for short period of time.
Maybe a Arexx script can do it.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The idea of having files on the desktop is the worst idea IMHO, not only does it make a complete mess out of your desktop with icons scattered all over the place, it's a real pain when you're using file managers like TotalCommander, finding in the directory structure where the files on desktop are located (which actually are located in several places as there are user-specific files as well as globally accessible ones). Let's not have mess like that on an Amiga, I can't believe that double-clicking that Ram Disk icon, or a left-out 'Downloads' icon on the Workbench is such a difficult thing to do...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@COBRA

I agree completly... how lazy are people? It might seem like an easy to access idea but I hate it! I use the file handlers for this now and allways have... where the directory is and how to use it is for the creative mind to decide :) ...

Windows way annoyce me like h*ll

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I agree with many (againts that idea of a "desktop" diretory).

Quote:

I have a temp partition on my hard drive where I download everything. I can't understand why it's so painful to some people to double click a single icon.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

Could this feature be made for os 4? (Mess#1)
Why?
Would make life a bit easier i think.
Ah, PC retarded.
But, try on the Amiga:
Create a directory: Sys:desktop
Setup UnARC tooltype to AUTO
destination=Sys:desktop
Now, dowload to desktop and clicking the .lha will unpack the archives there.
Why don't you just stick to using the PC! I won't get upset.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Snuffy

We?? looked like a nice idea at the time. But i did not know it put the files all over the place. And i've been an amiga guy since you we're in your dipers Hehe. I have a dowload partition infact.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

First of all, we use Workbench on the Amiga, so it's a bench-top, not a desk-top. A workbench is for serious creativity; a desk top is for mere paper pushers. Next, cluttering up your bench-top with random useless garbage is poor work practise.

I'd be more in favour of adding a "directory docky" to AmiDock with notification when contents are changed (kind of like the way that Mac OS X has icons bouncing up and down to indicate that something has arrived). That way you could have a download folder in a dock for ready access. In fact, I think that AmiDock should have notification animation built-in to its API. That way dockies could signal something important with a single function call.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

I agree, would be a very nice feature for a docky.

I also hate using the desktop - one of the things I like best about the Amiga is the Ram Disk - use it for all your unarchiving needs!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Daedalus
@Hans
I completely agree with you!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Hans

I'd be more in favour of adding a "directory docky" to AmiDock ...
I always like the FireFox - download manager. Something like that for A1 would be nice. Hey Orgin, there's one for you file manger!

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »