Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

From E to OS4 in 7 days
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Thanks to PortablE, I've ported PDHFIC to OS4.

It's 120K of E code and needs modules PortablE didn't have. A bit of tweaking (and a rewrite of one routine, which needed doing anyway as the original was rooted in OS3.0), plus a port of the picture datatypes headers and it largely works.

Many thanks to Chris Handley for PortablE, and for putting up with me hassling him trying to get this working.

If you have old E code lying around please try out PortablE and port it to OS4! If you don't code you might find E easier (I started out on E before moving on to C).

With no polishing, I thought I'd post a link to the beta to see if there were any further problems I haven't picked up in my testing. There are a few things which need fixing, but they are all minor tweaks.

Still have more to port after I fix this up!

Download beta OS4 version

Changes since last public release
Use screen menu item fixed
Datatypes loader now uses 24-bit data
extscale fix no longer required

Things that don't work properly
Console window pops up on startup (fixed)
Choosing a file from input ASL doesn't unlock convert button (drag files in to appwindow instead) (hmm, only a problem if there is no path present in asl, this actually appears to be an old bug and nothing to do with the port)
A few odd crashes (not systematically reproduceable, appears that the second call to the display menu items causes problems)
Version number, email address and website are all wrong (fixed)
Values on requesters are wrong

Unimplemented
ARexx port (needs tools/arexx) (disabled neatly)
ASL file filter (currently using ecode module) (disabled neatly)

Edited by Chris on 2008/7/11 20:11:27
Edited by Chris on 2008/7/12 1:20:59
Edited by Chris on 2008/7/12 22:38:58
Edited by Chris on 2008/7/13 1:48:19
Go to top
Re: From E to OS4 in 7 days
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

the link is broken, and what does the app do?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Could you tell us more about how difficult/easy it was to compile the resulting C code created by PortablE?

Thanks

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@spot
Oops! That's what happens when I post things in the middle of the night. I've fixed it now (the download link - the info one was working anyway)
It converts Datatypes images to Spectrum emulator formats (SCR, TAP, TZX etc), similar to ppmtoscr but with more options and a GUI.

@Elwood
As easy as:
g++ -o myapp myapp.cpp
Plus whatever other compiler switches you fancy using, -mcrt=newlib and -O3 are certainly worth adding for starters.

You don't need to modify the C++ output at all, just treat it like the intermediate asm files some compilers create.

E code needs a few modifications to be compiled with PortablE, but these are usually fairly straightforward, and the OPTAMIGAE switch takes away the majority of differences.

Chris

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
Nice to see this post

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post