Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4Depot behaving oddly
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I finally hit the "REGISTER_GLOBALS" wall on OS4depot.

This means that I have to do an enormous amount of updates to the OS4Depot PHP code base.

While I perform these updates you will experience all kinds of issues on the site. And even if I'm in the process of fixing everything you are welcome to post any oddities in this thread. I'm sure there's plenty of things I won't find on my own.

REGISTER_GLOBALS wall:

(Written in a simple manner without going into the gritty details to make it easier to digest)

In the beginning of PHP all GET and POST parameters (among others) were automatically available to directly access from your PHP code. This meant that you had to be very careful that you did not to use variables that you had not initialized yourself since they could already be initialized via the post and get parameters. Incorrectly written code could and frequently were exploited this way.

At some point the PHP team decided that there were too many crappy developers out there and that these parameters would not be directly available and that you had to access them via global key value arrays. However you could still configure PHP not to use this new restriction by activating the REGISTER_GLOBALS setting.

Since a lot of the base code for OS4Depot was written a long time ago (12 years or so) I have relied on this setting rather than performing the tedious task of updating the code to use the global key value arrays.

But the PHP team has finally decided that this flag will no longer be available. There's still some workarounds you can use that are more or less hacky in nature. But I decided that it was finally time to update the OS4Depot code base. And this is why you are or may experience some issues for a while.

Edited by orgin on 2016/3/6 8:59:52
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post