Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
SOS! DH1:Uninitialized
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I posted this thread in Amigaworld first but I'm hoping to get more answers to fix this issue.

First, please note that I am not an expert on OS4.1, so I'd very much appreciate as much information as possible with instructions.

Here we go...

This is a SOS. My Work partition seems to be gone as it shows as DH1:Uninitialized.

I was using an external CFcard with an old back up of my Work partition that I had named as Work_New2. After powering my computer off for the day and removing the CF card the following day before powering it on again, the computer is now asking for the Assign of the Work partition, but it's not listed under any of the volumes. I can only finish booting when I point or Assign to the CFcard.

After booting up it says "Please Insert volume Work in any Drive" WorkbencHh 84, or something like this.

Later the same day, I made my problem a bigger issue, since I messed up with the booting order and the system would not boot.

I was playing with the settings in System>Tools> Mediatools and and I clicked saved after testing (changing) the booting order.

I'm not sure what to do after pressing Escape to access the system boot settings.

On perhaps a better note, before I messed up, I notice that both my partitions, System and Work are still listed there and judging by the size of the data in the Work partition, my data is still there.

I have tried inserting the OS4.1 CD in the DVD unit, but the system is not reading or booting from there. How can I force the unit to boot from the CD?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Go to top
Re: SOS! DH1:Uninitialized
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigOS

First, which system are you using? Classic-PPC, A1, Sam, Peg2 or X-1000?

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Valiant
I am using a SAM460ex with OS4.1.6

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmigOS

Quote:
Later the same day, I made my problem a bigger issue, since I messed up with the booting order and the system would not boot.

I was playing with the settings in System>Tools> Mediatools and and I clicked saved after testing (changing) the booting order.

I'm not sure what to do after pressing Escape to access the system boot settings.

That's easy to fix - simply hold down both mouse buttons on boot to access the early startup menu (you might have to experiment with the timing, but holding them down just before the OS4.1 boot screen gets to full brightness should do the trick).

If you click on "Boot options" you can select the device you want to boot from. It looks something like this: (this screenshot is from 3.0)

Resized Image

The list on the left is the one to concentrate on. Select the correct device (probably DH0), click OK, then Boot and you should boot normally. Then go into MediaToolbox and set the boot priorities back to how they were previously.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris
Pressing both mouse buttons didn't work.

I can access the booting menu as shown in the pictures saved in this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0n6cafa5cve ... Kbf6g8O8NTTS9CB7ByLa?dl=0

But I can't make the system to boot from the OS4.1 CD. What am I doing wrong?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
That's because your mouse is wireless... You might use a usb mouse to reach this menu.

Sam460ex
Os4.1 Final Edition
2GB Fast Memory
envy 24 HT sound card
HD R9 TRIX 280X 3GO GDDR5
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@pseudaxos

It's possible to use the keyboard as well, isn't it? Holding down Scroll Lock or something IIRC.

@AmigaOS

You should be able to boot from CD through that menu, so I'm not sure why that isn't finding Kickstart on the CD. I can't really tell what you're selecting from the screenshots as they are a bit overexposed.

I take it you do get further than that if you let it boot from HD?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@pseudaxos
I'm using a wired Apple mouse

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

I don't have a scroll lock button in my Apple keyboard.

During boot up, I press space bar to access booting preferences > select 3114 SATA DVD > Save booting settings > Press Esc to continue booting. But nothing. It says that I couldn't find configuration files in any partitions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

Does the SAM 460(and other sams)require ps2 or usb keybd/mouse???

@Oscar

This might be the reason you can't reach the boot menu!

Use a pc (ps2 or usb?)keyboard.

I know with my AmigaOne G4 I have to use a ps2 with uboot!

M

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sacc-dude

I don't know about the SAM460, but I know that I need a PS/2 mouse to get to the early boot menu by holding down both mouse buttons. It never worked for me with USB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Steady

with my SAM460ex and a USB wire connected mouse, holding down both buttons works ok & brings me to the early boot screen, scroll works too

Edited by JosDuchIt on 2014/10/1 7:56:56
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
with sam you can choose the boot order from SAM boot menu. You don't need to enter into OS4 boot menu to choose where to boot.
When you are into SAM boot menu you have to find the menu that is used to select boot priority and invert SATA HD with DVD HD.
Then return to console and run "boota"

i don't have a sam now. but it should work and this is the fastest way to boot from os4 cd.. i've used it a lot of times

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@afxgroupwith
Quote:
sam you can choose the boot order from SAM boot menu. You don't need to enter into OS4 boot menu to choose where to boot.

I'm not sure that's right. The U-Boot boot priority has no relation to the OS4 boot priority. Sure, you can boot off the OS4 CD in this fashion, but that's because by default CD0: has a high boot priority (+20, I think), so Kickstart nearly always picks it first.

Maybe it does inherit - I haven't really played around with it very much - but in my limited experience it doesn't seem to, and IIRC U-Boot also has no concept of partitions, only drives (for AmigaOS booting, as it only needs the SLB which is in the RDB).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I hooked up a PC keyboard and mouse following suggestions.

Pressing the Scroll Lock button has no effect.

Boot up continued so I pressed the space bar. It accessed the U-BOOT Preferences Menu with Video Options, PCI-E 1x/ SATA-2, Boot Sequence and System Information.

Selecting Boot Sequence brings up: Menu Boot Delay (2 i selected), Boot Arguments fro AOS (debuglevel=0), Boot Arguments for Linux: root=dev/sda3 console=tty0

Network Boot Options and OS Mutiboot Options

On the other hand, pressing Enter during boot brings the U-Boot Boot Select screen. Selecting Boot Device shows: 0680 PATA HD, 0680 PATA DVD, 3x12 SATA HD, 3x12 SATA DVD, 3114 SATA HD, 3114 SATA DVD, 460 SATA2 HD, USB DVD, USB HD, Netwrok and None

Selecting 3114 SATA DVD has no effect. Next screens after saving and exit reads:
AOS4 FLB
FLB: no SLB found in any of the designated boot sources; returning to u-boot
Press any key to continue...then only close brackets show up in the screen after pressing any key.

??????

Edited by AmigOS on 2014/10/1 23:30:08
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmigOS

Quote:
I hooked up a PC keyboard and mouse following suggestions.

Pressing the Scroll Lock button has no effect.

Boot up continued so I pressed the space bar. It accessed the U-BOOT Preferences Menu with Video Options, PCI-E 1x/ SATA-2, Boot Sequence and System Information.

In that case you're pressing the Scroll Lock key/holding down both mouse buttons way too early. You need to be pressing them after Kickstart loads, as the OS4.1 splash screen fades up. They need to be held as it gets to the brightest point. (edit: see video http://youtu.be/1VDcDSG7jsU )

If Kickstart isn't loading from the HD (as it clearly isn't from the CD) you've got bigger problems, and you need to explain exactly what is happening on a normal boot otherwise it's going to be impossible to diagnose.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Unfortunately, the pictures (and I have tried different cameras and exposures) are not clear, but the only screen that I didn't describe in my previous post, it's the one that read Sam460ex Power for free Mindsand that the bottom gives you the option to EXit, Press Space to Edit prefs, Enter for boot select and Esc for prompt booting.

I never reach any AOS4.1 boot screen.

Here is the link to the pics just in case, or as reference https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0n6cafa5cve ... Kbf6g8O8NTTS9CB7ByLa?dl=0

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigOS

looks like it's time for a rescue CD...

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmigOS

Those pictures are from when you are trying to boot from CD. I want to know what happens if you don't press anything during boot .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris
No, those pictures are the sequence of screens that come up during boot up, with or without the CD in the tray.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »