Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Screenmode on OS4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Gents,

Which screenmode (and depth) should I run E-UAE in on my Micro A1? Also, which is the best application for generating UAE config files?

Thanks,

Steve

Go to top
Re: Screenmode on OS4
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Try 640x480x8, that'll do for most stuff.

There is no program to genererate UAE config files, they're all W.I.P., none are complete, your best bet is an editor (notepad) combined with a set of fingers (I recommend 8 and a couple of thumbs but some still only use 2) and a bit of knowledge.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@slcroucher
If you use RunInUAE then you don't need to worry about UAE config files, because I already spent a great deal of time optimising it for the Sam440. (The MicroA1 has a faster CPU but worse graphics than the Sam440 - neither are that powerful but are generally enough for AmigaOS4 programs.)

RunInUAE gives you the option of 320x256 (best performance but your monitor may not support it), 320x240 (similar), and 640x480 (worse performance but all monitors support it). IIRC it defaults to 640x480 if you have a RadeonHD card (like the X1000 or Sam460 usually have), otherwise 320x240, and so should default to 320x240 for you.

I forget if it uses 16 or 32 bit, but have a feeling it will use whatever your Workbench does, so try setting Workbench to use 16-bit. (BTW, for my Sam440 I created a specially dithered version of the white-ish gradient used in screen titlebar, so it looks good in 16-bit.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks Chris. My monitors are NEC Multisync LCDs so can handle any resolution up to 1600x1200 and any frequency from 15.6khz upwards.

I've found that if I select anything less than 1024x768 part of the UAE screen is missing; 1024x768 has a huge border and the bottom of the screen is corrupt.

According to the bar at the bottom of the screen the emulation is running at around 20% or lower.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@slcroucher

Quote:
I've found that if I select anything less than 1024x768 part of the UAE screen is missing.

I assume you're using a VGA cable so have you used the auto adjust button on the monitor? You have to use it for every screen mode you use, not just workbench.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin wrote "There is no program to genererate UAE config files..."

Not true. Get UAEConfig from OS4Depot. I wrote is several years ago and it generates working uaeconfig files on AmigaOS4 systems using a Reaction interface.

Scott

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@slcroucher Quote:
I've found that if I select anything less than 1024x768 part of the UAE screen is missing; 1024x768 has a huge border and the bottom of the screen is corrupt.

You may have automatic monitor configuration disabled (it used to be the default for AmigaOS4 & may still be). You can enable it with Sys:Prefs/ScreenModes (notice there is a second tab), and then reboot to see if it helped.

Warning: Unfortunately this doesn't work correctly with a few monitors (or at least it used not to), so you should make a backup of your Sys:Devs/Monitors folders before making any changes. Then in the worst case (screen frequency out of range) you only need to boot from your AmigaOS4 CD to restore the Monitors folder to fix it.

Warning: Make sure you have the latest AmigaOS4 updates (at least up to Update 6) before doing this.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks Chris.

I do have it disabled otherwise the A1 boots in 1600x1200x24 even if I save a lower resolution. I'd use that resolution if it wasn't so slow.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@slcroucher
After you enable automatic monitor config & reboot, you should be able to choose a screenmode for Workbench, save it, and it should use it after that. (Screenmode IDs change when you enable automatic monitor config, so Workbench MAY not use the correct screenmode when toggling monitor config, hence my suggestion of a reboot before making a screenmode choice for Workbench.)

However, if no luck, then you CAN manually input your screens specs, if you can find them out.

Go to top

Register To Post