Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 53

AmigaOldskooler, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A couple AbiWord oddities?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had to buy a new printer, and unable to find another PostScript capable one that I was sure would work on an OS4 machine, I settled for one that would run with the HP_Photosmart driver for PCL 3 on OS4Depot.

The new printer is supposed to handle (by ePrint, if not by USB as well) Microsoft Word documents, so I tried writing a short text with a variety of fonts and font sizes, etc., on AbiWord and saving it as a .doc file. When I tried to print it, I got an error message informing me that it was not, in fact, a Word file, but probably RTF. Indeed the .doc file begins "{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0." Now that's odd!

Oddity #2: Discouraged, I tried printing the .abw file, but my choices were to turn it into PDF or print to "Generic Postscript." It is my misfortune to have a printer now that doesn't do PostScript, but I was curious to see what kind of error message I would get, so I tried the latter option. And the thing printed almost exactly as I had typed it! The only thing different from what was on screen was that what I had italicized printed out straight up and down ('<c props="font-style:italic">to italics, </c>' doesn't work on the printer), but fonts and colors and sizes were preserved. Isn't that odd?

Go to top
Re: A couple AbiWord oddities?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The manufacturer marks up more for the PS-printer and yours is with the funny firmware. Or not.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
In fact I think that AmiCygnix uses the WB driver

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

AbiWord can only import MS-Word files and cannot write them, even the latest version can't. But you're right, AbiWord pretends that he can do it.

@Ricossa

AmiCygnix uses the ghostscript interpreter in "Sys:Utilities/Ghostscript" with "amiga_printer" device to print.

Go to top

Register To Post