Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

USB issue
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi!

I got an issue with the USB stack when using a cheap USB-fan. As soon as I turn the fan on I get messages from the USB stack saying something about it failing to add the device and it continues till I turn the fan off.

This is what it looks like:

http://hd.se/multimedia/archive/00135/usb_flakt_jpg_135873d.jpg

It's connected to an USB 2.0 hub which is connected to an AmigaOne XE. I'm using AOS 4.1 update 2.

Go to top
Re: USB issue
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@hotrod

Quite possibly the fan doesn't talk to the USB data lines at all, but only uses the +5V supply lines. The USB controller knows something is plugged in and tells the USB stack that there is something there, but the USB stack can't cope with being ignored and complains.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it except use another machine to plug it into. Have you tried using an externally powered hub? It might work without the need for a computer.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

So why is it ignored on other systems?

Yes I can use batteries so that's a solution and it's ok for now :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@hotrod

apparently other systems' usb stacks are configured to complain only once, while OS4's complains for as long as the conceived problems continue.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Vulture

I hope that this will change in the future. There are lots of USB hardware that only uses the power from the USB ports and it would be pretty bad if none of them worked with AOS 4.x.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

A little off-topic, but, is it right to use the USB ports directly from the PC to power such things as fans, lights and the likes? Could that damage the USB ports? Maybe better to use a powered hub for those things?

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@hotrod Quote:
There are lots of USB hardware that only uses the power from the USB ports

And there are some 'hybrid' devices which connect using one USB port, but (only) gain extra power using a second USB port. OS4 wouldn't work with those devices either, I imagine.

Although IIRC I did plug one into my Sam440 once, I think it worked! But maybe because it didn't draw enough power to need the second USB port.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post