Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Just an idea: Dynamic disk buffers?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi.
Would it be a good idea to add the feature of dynamic disk buffering to SFS, in order to reduce unecessary memory consumption in setups with many SFS partitions?

SFS would have to detect somehow if a partition is being accessed and whenever this happens, it would increase the read-ahead buffers for this partition (and the AmigaDos buffers if this is feasible) to a user defined amount.
When this partition is not accessed anymore, SFS would drop the buffers to a minimum.

Go to top
Re: Just an idea: Dynamic disk buffers?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Amigamancer

What you describe could be achieved by a "global" dynamic cache (I think that the thing you describe is pretty similar to the practice of linux kernel ).
It can use the whole ram as a cache and free it on demand.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Amigamancer

Sounds like the (OS4-SFS) diskcache.library.kmod to me.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

So, this OS4 system module adjusts the buffers of a partition depending on if it is being accessed or not? Ok. I didn't know this because i haven't bought it yet.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigamancer

if your speaking about dosbuffers, not.

It adjust the read ahead cache system embedded in SFS (the way you/we adjust via SetCache or SFSConfig under 68k)

Go to top

Register To Post