Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
240 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 72 »
Re: Odyssey 1.23 progress: r5 RC2
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Gregor

If you have issues with DDG and DDG lite is not working for you, maybe try FrogFind? It should work just fine on OWB since it works great on IBrowse and AOS 3.2 for me. FrogFind is a search engine wrapper for DDG (DuckDuckGo) which converts the results to basic HTML.

Link to DDG Lite: https://lite.duckduckgo.com/lite/
Link to FrogFinder: http://frogfind.com/

How to add to OWB quick search bar:

RMB/Windows/Search Engines:

Resized Image

I hope this helps!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
If you want an up to date browser which isn't obsolete on release already forget getting one with an AmigaOS GUI, way too few AmigaOS developers left for something like that.
With OWB it was possible for a short time, as long as Pleyo supported it and had several full time developers doing nothing but updating the WebKit parts and OWB's platform abstraction layer 2-3 times a week. The OS and CPU parts didn't need any, or at least only minor, changes because nearly all incompatible changes in WebKit were covered in the OWB BAL updates instead.
It's very unlikely that there ever will be a web browser again which is as platform independent as OWB was.

Instead a browser using a common GUI instead should be ported, something like the QT6 Browser, if required using AmiCygnix. But with only 1-2 developers, Alfkil and Edgar, working on it there probably wont be anything usable any time soon either...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache
Quote:

Could that be fixed now?

Dont know: there always will be issues with sites because of old core.. maybe if somebody can debug this particular issue and find out what wrong something can be done. But who will do that ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
From my side i only can update 3d party libs, rebuild with clib4/new binutils, add/fix some bits there and there, but nothing hardcore like core update so to have desktop-youtube, telegram and whatever else. Do you need that ?
There's a bug related to pages with login (e.g. some Bugzilla or beta tester pages) where you get an error twice and then have to do a refresh (F5) before it will accept your login.

I think we discussed it - maybe in private? - at some point after you released 1.23 r5, where you wanted to wait until the next round.

Could that be fixed now?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:Mine is set to:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&kp=-2d

which also works. It does take a while to display the response, though, but I don't think that's special for Odyssey.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

We all know that the biggest gap of AmigaOs4.1 is the somewhat outdated browser and we never had anything better than Odyssey.

What is the possibility for someone who is not familiar with AmigaOs4.1 to port a decent browser or write it himself without using AmigaOs4.1?

My best friend studied computer science and has been doing this professionally for about 17 years and could help with this, of course he doesn't have a developer system and could only develop this under MacOs/Win/Linux and of course not for free. The whole thing could be financed by donations. It's just an idea...mainly with Java and Kotlin this someone is familiar.

Otherwise are there not other possibilities to make a project out of it with the help of the community to be able to realize something like this ?

But then it will probably fail because there are no capable developers who could realize it for us.

That's why I need as much information as possible about whether something like this would even be possible.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Gregor

I am using duckduckgolite which still works fine with the following line :
https://lite.duckduckgo.com/lite/?q=%s

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RazielQuote:
:
Try
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&t=h_

Works nicely! Thank you, Raziel .

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

I wasn't arguing, I just expressed a consideration :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
No needs to argue, try yourself or find someone who prove me wrong by commit to Odysseys repo updated core working with exiting gui :) i will then accept i was wrong and will pay such person 1000$ right away as "thanks".

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah, aniway must be said that even rewriting a new GUI that has the same numerous features as Odyssey must not be simple... rewriting a GUI from scratch every time means always having a more modern browser but with fewer features ...
In this sense, re-adapting an already existing GUI certainly has its real advantages... after all, when browsers are updated on other platforms I think they do exactly this

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gregor

Try
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&t=h_

I get the blank reults page from time to time, too.
Nothing much you can do, close Odyssey, restart and hope for the best

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:

One question, why does upgrading to a new core mean rewriting the entire browser?

Since our version webkit just changed very much: layout, api, connection with gui, everything. Adapting current gui to different core (which later webkit are) mean the same as writing new gui, but writing new gui always better and easy in compare with rewriting pieces of other's code.

And basically GUI not the problem for adequate gui ptogrammer who know how to wrote UI. Problem is core.

Everything possible of course, code of Odyssey open, with as much as possible desribed steps of how to build it - maybe someone have skills to update to later webkit, but so far no one.

Talks is cheap, and currently only George (Walkero) with help from others tryied to port at least core of webkit from Morphos's Wayfarer. And new GUI still need to be written. Of course an Odyssey's one can be taken as reference, but as i say GUI is not problem, just GUI should be written by one who know UI and didnt introduce "amiga only" logic :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

I’m think the same unless complete API’s have changed.
can be gradual thing, where you can’t just take A and apply it on B, but have rewrite things step by step.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
From my side i only can update 3d party libs, rebuild with clib4/new binutils, add/fix some bits there and there, but nothing hardcore like core update so to have desktop-youtube, telegram and whatever else. Do you need that ?

Certainly yes, generally even just an update to the libraries brings benefits in term of speed and stability

One question, why does upgrading to a new core mean rewriting the entire browser? Couldn't we reuse the current Odyssey's MUI interface by making to it only the necessary changes to use the new core?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gregor
With time more and more things will not work with Odyssey. If you need any particular site fixes, try to invistegate why exactly it didnt work, and maybe you will be able to fix it by scripts (as Walkero do for example for github, to some extent).

@all
As i say, core update near to imposible with their massive changes, and only new browser will help, but any of you can try to do it anyway, Odyssey code open, with all how-to-build, so feel free. But reporting sites issues make no sense, as core will be still old. Even if i will update it to some better version, like one in 1.25 version for aros, it still will be too old to render modern sites today. So realistically speaking : new core mean new browser.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Search with 'Duckduck' does not seem to work anymore with Odyssey. If I input any word in the search field, there appears only a blank page with this text on it:

"If this persists, please email us. Our support email address includes an anonymized error code that helps us understand the context of your search."

Is there any fix for this? The link defined on 'search engines' window is currently "https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=%s".

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Primax

Yeh… think maybe best thing is just focus on JavaScript, JIT compiler and JavaScript Binary format. It seams to me good way go about be looking at NodeJS, also we other browsers like NetSurf I think can be good.

I think part of problem, is that we want latest stuff now, and as result we keep taking shortcuts. Not saying retrofitting new components, parallel development is good idea, as it ends in incompatible side projects.
On the other hand, one problem with EUAE, is the maintainer kept porting over newer code, but did not work on integration with OS, as result EUAE sucks on many parts like network support, protection bits etc, let’s say user experience can be better, then what it is now. The same you have any large project; we need to customize it our needs. It can’t just be recompiled. Well technically first modern web browsers we had, was SDL based, without any integration at all.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Okay, thanks.

But maybe generally, this is also the right way for OS4: not a full, but fast and slim web browser which does not have to support "everything"...?

For example, I would do without YouTube (and any other video), but would like to have a browser which supports HTML5, CSS und JavaScript.

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Primax

Quote:
Just stumbled upon this project:

https://github.com/arthurchoung/RELISH

We don't have Objective-C, and it does not look like full web browser. If it is, then lots other project also needs to be ported.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 72 »