Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Futaura, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Zombies 3D for AmigaOS 4 coming ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mailman

I was quite happy to see another software/porting approach
coming along, although i don't like (say: i hate) FPS thus
i don't feel that put off from the canceling.

Yet i'd like to hear from other projects, namely Adventure,
RTG and epic like storyline action adventures

@proostsoftware

You hear me?
Crap all the FPS and resurrect adventures

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@mailman

1. Porting takes time.

2. If nothing comes, what difference does it make?

3. Are you one of those that allways writes that coment to everything that isn't released yet and if you are just stop it since it's really anoying.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Menthos

As longs as the game where originally written for OpenGL there is some hope for port to AmigaOS4, but there are not many that have the skills to do the port that?s the main problem, MiniGL will do for now, but we need the full featured Mesa3D API.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hotrod

1. Porting takes time.

I am aware of it but look at the events. Announcement has been made two weeks ago and now we are reading that the project is halted/canceled. Proost Software have no experience in porting software to Amiga OS, especially OpenGL software which is not a piece of cake.

2. If nothing comes, what difference does it make?

I guess in the Amiga world we are really bored/annoyed/irritiated with broken promises and empty words. It does not make any difference if nothing comes out but at least we would not have a hope or this thread in the forum. By such things people become more and more aware of every word which is announced and laugh out loud with every another announcement that becomes potentially good news. It is because of such actions, threads on many portals and news sites considering OS4 are turned out into flame wars. It is necessary to bear that in mind. Nothing happens without a reason. And such actions are the reasons.

3. Are you one of those that allways writes that coment to everything that isn't released yet and if you are just stop it since it's really anoying.

No, I am not although I don't like reading enthusiastic comments under the announcement which end after 10 days in the trashcan. I am not one of those who cheer on every ocasion and announcement "just because there is a reason to cheer".

Edited by mailman on 2007/6/5 22:37:54
Edited by mailman on 2007/6/5 22:44:27
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mailman

If they announce when it where done, then we be happy surprised.

Now that we know what they intend to do we disappoint if they failed.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Personally, I would like to see Neverwinter Nights ported to AmigaOS. Would even gladly do it myself. I just love that game.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@mailman

Quote:
I am aware of it but look at the events. Announcement has been made two weeks ago and now we are reading that the project is halted/canceled. Proost Software have no experience in porting software to Amiga OS, especially OpenGL software which is not a piece of cake

Actually, it is easier than most people think. I ported Q2E by merely exchanging the system dependent part that opens a display and stuff like this, everything else compiles (and runs) verbatim.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Yes but source code to that game probably is not free.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:
Actually, it is easier than most people think. I ported Q2E by merely exchanging the system dependent part that opens a display and stuff like this, everything else compiles (and runs) verbatim.

Well that depends on the configure script, if you can?t even get this running then its not where likely you are going to be able to port anything, at least that my experience, (maybe its easier using a cross compile..).

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/6/6 18:56:51
Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/6/6 18:58:01
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

You can download the source code for Racer from the game's homepage.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

From my experience, it is quite easy to write a makefile without configure. Just go over the Makefile.am and collect the source files to compile. It takes a bit more time, maybe half an hour for a larger project, to write a makefile by hand, but the lack of configure is certainly no reason to not be able to port anything.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:

Yes but source code to that game probably is not free.

No, unfortunately not

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

hmmm interesting approach, the .am oner.
I'll keep that in mind when everything else fails.

configure scripts mostly can be tweaked to work though,
sometimes with brute force, sometimes with some gentle pushing.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

Personally, I would like to see Neverwinter Nights ported to AmigaOS. Would even gladly do it myself. I just love that game.

I don't know this game, really have to read it up on the net.
It's something like World of Warcraft, isn't it?

Hmm, 3D action adventure, just what i'm looking for.
Maybe there will be a chance of a port as part of an official
deal with the creators? Like with Heretic.

Would be cool

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:

Hmm, 3D action adventure, just what i'm looking for.
Maybe there will be a chance of a port as part of an official
deal with the creators? Like with Heretic.

Would be cool

It's mostly a roleplaying game, based on the D&D 3.0 rules. The nice part about it is that contrary to World of Warcraft, everybody can make their own server and host their own game or even an entire game world.

Unfortunately, there aren't any free development resources at the moment to tackle an official game port. I would do it in my spare time though if the source code was available, but I wouldn't count on it. It's one of those things I always wish for, and hope that repeating it often enough will make it happen one day.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I myself only ever used configure once , rest i have done was to write my own makefiles or for smaller projects i just done everything step by step, as Rogue said, its all in the .am files or in some pre mf one, sadly sometimes theyre relying on additional stuff.

that said, after hnl and co fixed up our shell (abc) then it became easier to use configure automatically but i somewhat had grown to use everything in my own way so instead of wasting time in trying to understand confuigure files i just did it the way i had to do with all my sdl recompiles/ports.

As to porting racer , i have faith in proost for the port and since most developers theese days are occupied with their usual tasks, well i welcome any new ones and imo everyone here should.

But what i don't have faith in is the current AmigaOS4 hardware, it won't perform good enough compared to the other allready running ports of the game, or so i like to belive now anyway.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ToAks

In the meantime, there is another project aiming at providing similar functionality as configure (CMake) already in use by some projects (Icculus uses it for some of his stuff). I had a brief look at it and it should be fairly easy to port, just didn't have the time to do it yet.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rob

You can only get an old version of the Racer sources from the hompage. I have no idea which version Proost are using. Maybe they have to start with that old one to prove to the coders they are up to the task, and then they might get the latest one. As the website says: "This project is NOT OpenSource.".

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

i tried to compile cmake a while ago. i think it was paragui that used it in it's latest version. i think i managed to get it 80/90% compiled, and then came some platform specific code, and I was clueless. not meaning that it a tough port though. :) i'd like to see it ported, and scons too.
it would be nice if they would become part of the SDK.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP

If I ever get the time for it, I'll have a go (currently hooked up on OS 4 still)

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »