Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 45

salass00, orgin, benny, more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

WPE WebKit
Just popping in
From Poland
Maybe this is a good solution for a new browser for amigans?

https://webkit.org/wpe/

Report Go to top

Re: WPE WebKit
Home away from home
From Russia
Everything we may try out in terms of web engines come to question: is it support big-endian. If not, we are out of luck. If yes, it can be possible to follow route Andrea do when first time build first owb versions which was just simple window. For start that can be enough. But problem is official and normal support of big-endianes: if there none, forget about. Morphos devs doing something now with webkit, to make a new browser, but it will be the same out of time because core updating will be pain because of endianes.

Quite a regular
From Hungary
@kas1e
On MorphOS they backported some new features (e.g. flexbox support) to the old WebKit engine.

Home away from home
From Italy, Perugia
@mufa

As kas1e say the only problem still the big endian support that at some point were "broken" in javascript part of webkit, however the day they fix it (if ever happen) the logical solution would be to update Odyssey rather than rewrite another browser

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From Russia
@samo
I am not about webkit only, but about any possible engine. If there is no endian support then no luck for us. And i didn't mean even endian support for just javascript, but for anything else.

Also forget about idea that even if webkit will have someday big-endian support again (probabaly never), to update latest webkit core to current odysses's gui : morphos devs tryied hard, and have no luck with, so they choice to made a new browser on top of recent webkit (yeah, again new browser). But even then, that mean they need to fix endianes issues AGAIN. What mean, even and if they will made that new browser, they will be forced to be in pain all the time when they will want to update core. It will be always pain in the ass.

Basically, if we found any new core of modern web engine which have big-endian support (that not necesary should be webkit), then create a simple window and render to it will be easy. Then on top of that any new gui can be done in a half of year or in year, which in general nothing and no problems.

The main and big problem, there is no opensource engines with big-endian support which any of us can use. And we have no solution there.

One may say about some "ppc-webkit-port" for macos, but then again, its one-time deal of some already old webkit core. Once you will made some sort of good gui for it, it will be obsolete, and it just never ended loop of problem.

The only solution really is to find out any engine with big-endian support, which will be supported and not dropped for at least few years since start.

Or waiting when netsurf will be matured enough.

Quite a regular
From Hungary
@kas1e
I wouldn't bet on Netsurf either. It's a nice lightweight browser, but I can't see it being able to catch up with the modern JavaScript-heavy web. Even mainstream browsers started dropping their own engines in favor of Google's Blink (Opera, Edge). The last major one holding out is Firefox, and even they broke alternative platforms by introducing Rust.

Home away from home
From Russia
@BSzili
Yeah, i think we all need to realize that probabaly we need forget about some decent supported browser on amigaos4. Just maybe some engine someday by some luck will support big-endian (maybe some phones or some tablet or something will still have big-endianes some day).

Not too shy to talk
I'm not a coder but itc busines anyway. I have been situations like this and at least Netsurf should have a Plan-B status.

It is not a mature enough, but speeding up development is just matter of involved people. If there is a Amiga people involved, there woun't be any problems with endianes ever.

Report Go to top

Quite a regular
From Hungary
@kas1e
I've been thinking about stopgap solutions, like dedicated programs to use popular internet services. Unfortunately the big companies (Facebook, Google, etc.) are moving the internet towards a more closed direction.
For example Facebook Messenger used to use the XMPP protocol, you could use Jabber clients with it, but now they switched to a proprietary MQTT protocol. There are open source clients (e.g. Pidgin, Adium, bitlbee have facebook plugins), but these are based on reverse engineering, so who knows how long are they going to work.

Quite a regular
From Palencia (Spain)
Other option will be try to make one port of Chrome kit.

Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 F.E.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.12
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.12
   Report Go to top

Supreme Council
From Sweden

Mr Bobo Cornwater
   Report Go to top

Just popping in
@orgin

IBM has a branch of blink that includes updated BE support.

Report Go to top

Quite a regular
From Hungary
@terminills
Are you sure? AFAIR IBM's work was for PPC LE, not BE.

Home away from home
From Italy, Perugia
Still also SpiderWeb for PowerPC, not based to WebKit but XUL/Mozilla

https://github.com/wicknix/SpiderWeb

Report Go to top

[Advanced Search]