Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

5.1 or more sound (emulation)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
The X1000 has a supported 5.1 (or was it 7.1?) audio chip.

Are there any programs in AmigaOS4.x that actually use all the channels for output?
I haven't tried to plug in a 5.1 speaker setup because I have none, but I'm curious.

It would be nice if the underlying software (AHI, Sound Preferences, Mixer etc.) would be able to at least emulate a stereo signal (or 2.1) to 5.1 (just like it is done on other platforms).

Why not br able to use all the possibilities instead of being limited to only the green audio jack.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: 5.1 or more sound (emulation)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Personaly I'm quite glad to be limited to stereo.

n.1 is flawed concept and positive liabilty IMHO. It's OK for ciematics sound but crap for music. (nothing is mixed for it). My linux laptop always forces my MAudio Ultra 8x8 USB sound card in to 7.1 mode thus rendering it useless when using headphones as you only get the side sounds and not the main feed! (that's under pusle using jack it can be access properly but only dedicated audio apps work with that, not video players etc.

My 5.1 hardware DVD player also only plays stereo through two speakers, and the bass not the whole lot leading to imbalanced sound. (unfortunatly no external 5.1 inputs to drive it from a computer).

But setting my predjudices aside, I think AHI does support 7.1 ? There is definetly a hdaidio:Hifi 7.1 channel++ mode. But I don't have a 7.1 speaker set to test with, so I don't know how that handles output from steroe sources.

Whether an apps do is another matter, mplayer and other video players I guess would be the main candidates.

Go to top
Re: 5.1 or more sound (emulation)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Correct.

hdaudio:HiFi 32 bit 7.1 channel++ etc.

Hence my question about the possibility of it being "automatically" spread over the whole speakers of a possible 7.1 sound system.

I can't test aswell as i don't have such a setup.

It would be cool if AHI would do that automatically.

Thank you for your contribution

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post