Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Workbench Explorer v2.3 build 9400 has been released!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Workbench Explorer v2.3 build 9400 has been released!

Use "Check Latest Version" from the menu, AmiUpdate, OS4Depot, or Aminet, to upgrade.

###### [2.3 build 9400] - 2019-5-13 5 Year Anniversary
### Added
- Downloads from Aminet and OS4Depot now have the path set in the filenote.
- Version column. On by default, disable in Preferences->Columns.
- Version is shown in search results if applicable.
- Preferences->Window->Toolbar image size.
For normal (24x24) or more compact (16x16) toolbar.
- Preferences->Operation->Use internal Information system.
Not using this will use the default program, usually RAWBInfo, to display
information about the selected item. Not using WEx's internal Information will
limit some extra useful data. Use Menu->Tools->Tool type editor
to edit icon tooltypes.
- The version or picture details, if applicable, is shown in the paste exists
box for each file. The "Get version" button still shows the complete version
information.

### Fixed
- Blank menu images now done internally.
- Cleaned up context menu alignments.
- Sort arrow was put on wrong listbrowser column when columns were re-arranged.
- Content view style was not showing the correct data.
- Changing drawers order was not refreshing.
- Improved sorting routines.
- Small bug in SAK_GetVersion().
- Rare bug when close Preferences dealing with using own screen or not.
- Bug that would crash WEx if the Preview pane is open and then open a new tab
at Computer.

### Changed
- The paste exists requesters are much smaller allowing for future expansion.
- The StatusBar now uses my InfoData.class.

Go to top
Re: Workbench Explorer v2.3 build 9400 has been released!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mritter0

Great Job Mark!!!

Thanks for all your hard work :)

apsturk
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mark
Dunno if it was discussed before or no, but when i download latest version, install it over old one, and run : it did take about 40 seconds to show up me a root of work: partiion. Then i do search over the aw.net topic, and found it is "version" column which slow things that much which need to be disabled.

So if you need it, i have suggestion to update latest version you have by hands to have it disabled by default.

Another issue i have is that pure opening of TBIMAGES: directory (lot of small images) taked up all my GFX memory and take a lot of time to show them up (even with disabled version column). I think it take about minute, and then files showns, but as all memory filled up, everything freezes.

I imagine it tries to read all at once to the memory and then fail, while probably (and that is another suggestion if you care) better to show content by parts or kind of. Maybe some background process which will read content of filesystem, but in the same time not block main programm and start to show things.

In that respect Filler for example (i know, is another type of programm, just as example), open that directory fast (3 seconds) and correctly show all previews (which probabaly, generated on the fly , to avoid that slow and big loading). And gfx memory didn't eats-up after that.

In other words, currently, if you open directory which contain lots of small files, it takes veeeery long time. And if you enable icons, or thumnails, or so , it take even longer, eat-up all gfx memory, and then lockup the os.

And another issue, which there from begining, and which probabaly not your fault but of some gadget class you use: in Preference/Columns, all "Name" entries have "tickbox" gadget of "bold" look, like you can tick or untick it. While you can't untick it. "image" entry at top from other side looks correctly ghosted, so user understand that he can't untick it. But "image" one, looks like you can untick it, but you can't (i.e. also should looks ghosted). But if i remember right i already report it before, so can be some OS class issue.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I have new features turned on by default because from past experience, people don't read the ChangeLog and would never know about them. I am sure you have been asked "Can you add XYZ feature?" "Dude, it was added 2 versions ago."

TBImages:, I may be overlooking some things like it's speed. For my X5000 it takes 14 seconds to load and display it. No crash for me. 8,952 images. With "Show actual icons" checked it took twice as long, still no crash. (I have a 4GB graphics card, though.)

Images column, tied in to above, is forced on. I have always liked the look of a drawer/file next to the items. For the average user and average drawer it is not a big deal. Yes, for drawers with a lot of photos it does slow down. But that falls to the speed of the datatypes loading the image. Scaling is not the slow part. And the drawer/file images are loaded once then copied in memory.

I have debated about allowing the image column to be turned off. I guess I envisioned more people getting X5000s and this not being a real issue. I have it in my notes.

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0

Quote:

I have new features turned on by default because from past experience, people don't read the ChangeLog and would never know about them. I am sure you have been asked "Can you add XYZ feature?" "Dude, it was added 2 versions ago."

If new feature slow down opening of root of partition to unusable speed, that feature sure have no needs be enabled by default, as user anyway will disable it.

Quote:

TBImages:, I may be overlooking some things like it's speed. For my X5000 it takes 14 seconds to load and display it. No crash for me. 8,952 images. With "Show actual icons" checked it took twice as long, still no crash. (I have a 4GB graphics card, though.)

Need to ckeck, maybe i have enabled some other option which slow things that much.

Quote:

I have debated about allowing the image column to be turned off. I guess I envisioned more people getting X5000s and this not being a real issue. I have it in my notes.

Now i remember that i report it before, but probably due to my bad english it wasnt correctly explained: i didnt mean that image column need ability to be turned off, i mean that visually, in options, that column looks like it CAN be turned off, because it not ghosted. I.e it looks like use CAN tick/untick it. Because it not ghosted. I.e. wrong look of entry itself. Any entry which cant be controlled by user should ve ghosted,while that "image" entry not ghosted, and user have opinion that he can control it.

Hope this time i was able to explain it correctly :) if you still think i ask about ability to turn images colum off : no, i asking that in prefetences that entries should looks ghosted, so user will know just from look that he cant turn it off. Just like entry above.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I understood you, I didn't reply to it directly. There is not a way to disable the checkbox in the listbrowser. So I have to make that line read-only so user can't click on it. It's a hack.

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top

Register To Post