Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

x-5000 long boot delay with sii3112
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi All,

I have a long boot delay, after a cold or warm reset when I plug a sii3112 pci card with nothing connected to it.

this card was provided by my dealer so that the x-5000 is equipped with 1x SSD, 1x HDD and 1x DVD.

I had a rather long boot delay and I was surprised that it much more shorter when the card is unplugged.
so the question is how to reduce the long boot delay with the sii3112 plugged in ?

Another oddity is that the AOS4.1 logo is garbaged with the sii3112 plugged in...

here are the boot delays :
* boot with sii3112
warm 50"68
hard 1'23"37
AOS4.1 logo garbaged
* boot without sii3112
warm 10"75
hard 44"00
AOS4.1 logo normal

Go to top
Re: x-5000 long boot delay with sii3112
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Lio

The device driver (sii3112ide.device.kmod) looks for a specific configuration, and, if not found, polls all ports (in your case, both ports) looking for attached devices.

The polling takes about 20 seconds to time out if no device is there - hence the delay you are experiencing.

You can prevent the delay by connecting devices to both ports, or alternatively, by adding an SDRAM variable which says "no ports":

Go into U-Boot command and type:
setenv sii3112_conf 00 <Enter>
saveenv <Enter>

That will tell the driver that there are no devices connected to the ports and to not poll it. When you add devices, change the "0" to a "1" for an SSD/HD or "2" for an ATAPI CD/DVD drive.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thx Tony for taking the time to answer...

Nevertheless something is wrong with UBoot because even with sii3112_conf set to 00 I still get the same (long) boot delay time ???

interestingly if I connect 2 HDs with 00 I get a normal boot delay (58sec for cold vs 14sec for warm), same time when set to 11 ???

lesson learn : if you put a pci sata card, make sure to connect all the ports to devices, if you dont want to have extra long boot delay !

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Lio

Note that Tony made a typo above (which you repeated in the response, so it may well be the problem):

The variable in question is not sii3112_conf, but sii3112ide_conf (i.e. there should be "ide" after the number).

Please have another go and see if that helps.

P.S. Full documentation can be found in SYS:Documentation/IDE/sii3112ide_dev.doc on your disk.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Damn! Thanks, Niels.

cheers
tony
Go to top