Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4 recovery software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What is the current situation in OS4 ?

I have to repair/recover files from a DOS/07 partition, that has been validating for a couple of days (no disk activity led blinking though).

Go to top
Re: OS4 recovery software
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cass

Not good i'm afraid, all the "old" recovery software doesn't really work reliable anymore.

The only one i remember working pretty well was DiskSalv, but i doubt it will handle >4GB (i might be wrong, though)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cass

The only recovery tool for FFS2 partitions is PartitionWizard.

If you are using 4.1FE you will need the updated version which is part of A-Eon's Enhancer Pack as version which came with 4.1FE is broken or your other option is to boot from a 4.1 CD and use that version to fix it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@RussellB

To be clear, is PW 53.4 not doing correctly?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thematic

The version which comes with 4.1FE the partition list is empty this is a known problem which is fixed with the newer version 53.7 in the enhancer pack.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Cass

I remember a problem with FFS, where if you were booting from a partition which was in validation state, FFS would crash, leading to symptoms like you describe (staying unvalidated with no visible disk activity).

Before trying various more or less capable tools, try booting from another boot partition (if you have one) or from your CD. After (hopefully) having booted to WB, leave the thing alone until your other partition has finished validating. Especially don't try writing to that partition while it validates.

See if that does the trick.

(Then, of course, make a full backup and set up a means of regular backups, so you can just format and restore next time ).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cass

I think you finnaly use diskdoctor, did they not fix it for AmigaOS3.1.4?

Edited by LiveForIt on 2018/10/10 21:01:17
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Are you confusing this with the OS 3.1.4 just released?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@OldAmigan

Yes it is.

http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/ind ... downloads/188-amigaos-314

And the new disk doctor program should work.

AmigaOS4.1 is able to run classic software, so finally we AmigaOS4.1 users can fix hd disk as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9X8ON6Ris8

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

That's not necessarily true.

Just because the new DiskDoctor can fix disks using the FFS from OS 3.1, doesn't mean it also knows everything about the ones using the newer FFS found in OS 4.x.

It may be possible, but I would be very careful and make sure I only work on data I can afford to lose.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

> Just because the new DiskDoctor can fix disks using the FFS from OS 3.1, doesn't mean it also knows everything about the ones using the newer FFS found in OS 4.x.

Actually, it does

I started working on what would become the new Disk Doctor when it became apparent that AmigaOS 4 would no longer include a diagnostic, recovery and repair tool for the OFS/FFS/DCFS/LNFS file system flavours.

This turned into quite a long research project and when it became just useful enough to test it, it seemed like it would make a good addition to AmigaOS 3.1.4 and ship with it.

The plan is still to make the new Disk Doctor work on AmigaOS4, but first I have to make the repair operation work well. This is what I "cut" from the version which was released for AmigaOS 3.1.4 since I had misjudged the effort required to make the examine and copy/recovery operations work well and usable, too.

> It may be possible, but I would be very careful and make sure I only work on data I can afford to lose.

The new Disk Doctor is for the time being limited to examining volumes for defects and for recovering their contents. No changes are made to the volume, this is a strictly non-invasive tool.

Given the time to finish development on it, and testing, too, of course, it won't be limited to these operations. There will always be a situation in which copying/recovering data from a volume is not the best option available and a repair in place would be preferrable. I intend to deliver that for both AmigaOS 4 and as an update to AmigaOS 3.1.4 when the repair operation is ready for release.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@olsen

Aha - nice

Thanks for the correction.

And of course looking forward to seeing it finished for OS4 as well (although I don't use FFS much any more).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@olsen

Excellent news. You d'man!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@OldAmigan

Hello

I have a corrupted partition that is uses the new NGSFlleSystem and is giving me serious preocupation

Does anyboidy knows how to fix this partition? Is 230 GB big and it has 16 GB free.

It was all after coyping some WHDLoad games

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MamePPCA1

You should have NGFCheck on your OS4 machine. I can't remember whether it is in the C/ directory or System/. There are docs for it in Documentation/.

NGFCheck can check your disk for you and can make some repairs.

I suggest that you copy what you can to another partition before trying to make any repairs to the suspect partition. NGFCheck will delete data that it can't repair.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@olsen

If i put my HD OS4.1 FE system on a Windows machine as an additional drive wil diskdoctor be able to salve it from Amikit ?
- i guess it will not, from a laptop where there is only the possibility to put the HD in an USB case. A valid Amiga HD was not recognised on my system
- my SAM460 ex recognizes the USB Hd so that should be possible

So when can weexpect diskdoctor to be available for OS4.1FE ?

Will it come with some documentation?

Edited by JosDuchIt on 2019/2/20 20:19:31
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@olsen
Could you answer the edited question?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Sorry for the late answer

As of this writing, there is a working AmigaOS4 port of Disk Doctor, which is currently available to beta testers only. It is based upon the considerably reworked and updated Disk Doctor which is intended to ship as an update to AmigaOS 3.1.4.

I have no idea when either version will become commercially available

Please note that this Disk Doctor is only intended for data recovery on volumes which have been formatted using the Amiga OFS/FFS/DCFS/LNFS file system flavours. If you were using SFS or NGFS you may need specialized software to recover data from the disk.

Go to top

Register To Post