Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

Question about ATI Radeon 9250 AGP graphics card
Just popping in
From Berlin. We're all a bit mad here.
Hello Amigans.

Should AGP graphics cards work in an AmigaOne XE? I was under the impression that yes, this is the case, so I bought myself an ATI Radeon 9250 AGP graphics card. But I get only a blank screen when I turn the system on.

I am very interested to know if anyone else is running an AGP based graphics card and if so, what type it is!

I have been trying to find something (anything!) that will allow me to do some basic OpenGL programming, but on this old AmigaOne XE it is pretty difficult. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Report Go to top

Re: Question about ATI Radeon 9250 AGP graphics card
Not too shy to talk
From Michigan, USA
@Hitman

I have a Radeon 9250 running in my A1-XE G4. It has 256 MB. I think only versions 1 & 2 of the AGP standard work in the A1 AGP slot. Maybe yours is a later version?

I think the 9250 is the most common card in use in A1's.

Paul

Just popping in
From Indianapolis, Indiana USA
@Hitman

Radeon 9250 graphic cards were one of the most popular cards to use with the AmigaOne XE. I sucessfully used one made by AMD, however the first one I tried was made for CompUSA and it did not display anything but a black screen. Apparently not all 9250's have identical specs. I would try to find one manufactured by AMD

Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Auckland, New Zealand
Try switching it on and leaving it for a while. I believe what happens during boot up is the card does some PCI initisation. Some cards take a while to initialise.

Many years back I bought a Radeon 9250 256MB for my A1XE. Installed it, booted, got nothing but a blank screen.

Oh well, I thought, sitting there sadly...

But after about 30 seconds or so, uBoot came up and the machine booted.

So it takes a while to boot, but it does work.

Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Berlin. We're all a bit mad here.
Thanks for the idea @daveyw. I tried it, but no luck.

In the meantime though, I found the old Voodoo-3 that came with the system (I got it second hand from a friend and thought that I had thrown the Voodoo-3 away). The Voodoo-3 is AGP and it works, so that proves that yes, you can use AGP on the AmigaOne. I might look into the AGP version mentioned by @Paul. It is also possible that the card I bought is simply broken. It was only €19 so no big loss - I might try another one.

Can anyone tell me if the 9250 supports Warp3D and/or Open GL? I was under the impression that it does but I saw it mentioned somewhere recently that it doesn't...

Trying to get some sort of 3D acceleration going for an old AmigaOne XE is almost impossible it seems. :-/

Not too shy to talk
@Hitman

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the 9250 supports Warp3D and/or Open GL? I was under the impression that it does but I saw it mentioned somewhere recently that it doesn't...

The 9250, 9200, 9000, 9000 pro and Voodoo3 are all supported by OS4. The 9000 pro is the most powerful of those cards but they are harder to come by and the memory is usually limited to 64MB although 128MB versions exist. Some 9200 and I believed 9250 cards only have a 64-bit memory interface which halves bandwidth compared to a card with a 128-bit interface.

You probably read that the 9250 isn't supported by OS3.x but that doesn't matter on the A1.

As above, the Voodoo 3 will run Warp3D software albeit at a slower pace than the Radeon cards and IIRC it doesn't do compositing which features in OS4.1 onwards. IIRC all of Amiboing's games use compositing.

The latest version of MiniGL can be found here.

Report Go to top

[Advanced Search]