Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sam440ep-Flex: upgrading gfx to Radeon HD4350
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've got hold of a cheap used ATI Radeon HD4350 (PCI, 512MB), with which I'd like to upgrade my current Sam440ep-Flex setup and replace the Radeon 9250. I have installed the latest RadeonHD driver from the Enhancer Software pack.

The card arrives tomorrow and I'll be glad for some tips. Is there anything special I need to do in order to prepare my OS4.1 FE system for the card swap? Will I need to enable the "RadeonHD.chip" module in Kicklayout? (The driver installer placed the module into SYS:Kickstart but didn't add it to Kicklayout.) Do I need to change anything about my existing DEVS:Monitors display driver?

Is it better to use the VGA or the DVI output on the Radeon HD4350? Does Warp3D Nova support this card?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Re: Sam440ep-Flex: upgrading gfx to Radeon HD4350
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

AFAIK Warp3D is only for R7/R9 and some radeon (highend) HD77xx/HD7900.
If you have AEON's EnhancerSoftware just check/read Warp3dNova doc.

You will loose Warp3D compatibilty, so maybe keep the "old" 9250 on such system.

Just copy/update the RadeonHD.chip to SYS:Kickstart (add an entry in kicklayout) and IIRC add/change your monitor (DEVS:Monitors) to 'Radeon HD' and tooltypes:
CMPLENGTH=9
BOARDNAME=Radeon HD

(or whatever name you want)

IMO (or my eyes are getting old) DVI has more clear image/output in monitor, VGA blurs the image/output a little.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Yes you need to enable the RadeonHD.chip module in Kicklayout.

You can use Radeon as the monitor driver in Devs:Monitors with tooltype CMPLENGTH=6
and it will work for the Radeon 9250 as well as a Radeon HD card.
I used DVI output when I had a working Flex and Radeon HD card.
No current Warp3D or Warp3D Nova support.
Invitations for anyone to do Warp 3D Nova drivers for Radeon HD Cards before the HD7000 series are open. Check with Hans if you are interested.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

The 4350 has much higher core clock and at least double the memory bandwidth of the 9250.

While there is no 3D support you should see a noticeable difference in software using compositing.

I'd recommend using the 4350 as the main card and keeping the 9250 as an exclusive output for Warp3D software and maybe fullscreen video since the 4350 lack overlay.

Sadly the Sam440 seems to be being left behind by Warp3D Nova. The supported 7000 and upwards series cards fail to initialise on the Sam440. I've read that a Uboot update could solve this but none has been forthcoming.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rob
Quote:
Sadly the Sam440 seems to be being left behind by Warp3D Nova.

You mean the 4350.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rob

Quote:
I'd recommend using the 4350 as the main card

Oh, I completely forgot to update my story in this thread

I got the card recognized and working OK, but I was surprised to see that the rendering of Intuition windows contents is noticeably slower than on the 9250. I mean: I run a program, it opens the window, the window stays empty for a second or two, then the contents gets rendered in. Window resizing is much slower, too. (Video playback feels faster using the Emotion player, though.)

I do have compositing on in Workbench, so I wonder if there's something else I need to enable or disable in GUI prefs to get better results?

I have the latest RadeonHD driver. By the way, the result is the same with an old 1.x version of the driver.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Is INTERRUPT=YES enabled in the ToolType of the monitor ?

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Trixie
Not sure if you still need some of the functions from this utility.
http://www.soft3dev.net/pages/sam440ep_setup.php

Also the HD4350 is relatively slow compared to the other Radeon HD cards when used with a pci to pcie adapter .
A Radeon HD6670 gave me good results.

http://hdrlab.org.nz/benchmark/gfxben ... aOS/Motherboard/Sam440EP/

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@K-L

Quote:
Is INTERRUPT=YES enabled in the ToolType of the monitor?

Yes it is.

@Spectre660

Quote:
Not sure if you still need some of the functions from this utility.

I do have this utility enabled in WBStartup. (No change if I remove it.)

I know the 4350 is a slower card but I definitely didn't expect such a noticeable downgrade. I hope there's some solution to this; maybe Hans could help?

The Rear Window blog

Go to top

Register To Post