Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Paul, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Heretic 2 sort-of working - any tips?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@outrun1978 Quote:
The Heretic II demo I have from my copy of Freescape runs on my X5000

I didn't believe this, as I've never been able to get it to work on OS4, so I thought I'd retry it on my X1000 (which has RadeonHD card with new Warp3D) :

Initially it just crashed when I started it. GrimReaper showed it crashing in the lowlevel.library, so I tried attaching a USB joystick, and then miraculously it starts without crashing! (But because AmigaInput sucks, this must be done AFTER AmigaOS4 has booted. So if you soft reset, you must un-plug & re-plug the joystick again.)

(It does cause RunInUAE to open lots of requesters, so I closed RunInUAE to simplify my testing. If I get Heretic 2 to work then I can retry it later with RunInUAE running in the background.)

To my surprise I got to the menu screen. (I had deleted the "h2.prefs" and "RtgScreenMode.prefs1" files to be on the safe side. Dunno if they caused me problems before.)

Amazingly I am able to get into the Tutorial, the 3D graphics look correct, and I am able to move my character using the mouse & keyboard. HOWEVER:

1. Double-buffering seems to cause problems (screens flickers) unless I use a 640x480 screenmode. Since Heretic 2 only seems to use a 640x480 resolution (even on larger screenmodes) this isn't a big problem, although annoying it can't use better screenmodes.

2. There is NO sound. Since it's a 68k game, I assume it is trying to use Paula directly, rather than use AHI . edit: The README mentions AHI, so I don't know why I have no sound :(

3. It's using software rendering. If I change to using hardware (i.e. Warp 3D) then I see no 3D graphics, and the menu is unusable (no text). (Tip: If you quit Heretic 2 in this state, it remembers to use Warp 3D next time & so is unusable. In that case you need to delete the file "user/config.cfg".)

I'd like to know if outrun1978 or anyone else has gotten this to work any better? And if so, how?

Edited by ChrisH on 2017/5/23 22:30:15
Edited by ChrisH on 2017/5/23 22:31:02
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Heretic 2 sort-of working - any tips?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Sound like you only got software-rendering working, should look better in higher resolutions, in the menu of H2 you should be able to select rendering mode, details, and screen resolution.

Last time I tried, it was on AmigaONE-XE using WarpEMU from Guru Mediation (I think). When I tried it the walls was rendered transparent, so you were able to see what was behind the walls, there were also, some level MiniGL worked some level I was forced back into software rendering.

I played it using the keyboard and mouse combination, I think that’s best for this kinds of games anyway.

I also remember having problem with installer, I think I ended up unpacking files manual in shell.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Hi Chris

The Heretic II i have is a demo version and it states in the readme that it has no sound although reading the file it says the sound is supported via AHI.

I just simply copied the folder files from the Freescape disc it came on to one of my partitions and then run the file with no grim reaper and no DSI, although i am running a kind of cleanish install on my X5000 which i know doesn't really help matters but if when you are trying to open your full version and it is asking for requesters for RuninUAE there are probably some issues with some of your internal configs for the game.

It will run in a number of resolutions 640x480 1024 x768

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@outrun1978

Quote:
I just simply copied the folder files from the Freescape disc it came on to one of my partitions and then run the file with no grim reaper and no DSI, although i am running a kind of cleanish install on my X5000 which i know doesn't really help matters but if when you are trying to open your full version and it is asking for requesters for RuninUAE there are probably some issues with some of your internal configs for the game.

Way did you not download the AmigaOS4 version of Freespace?
it works a lot better then old CD version.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The Heretic II demo has no AHI, sadly.

Also see

http://amigafun.blogspot.nl/2017/05/t ... ewarp-on-amiga-x5000.html

regarding state of ReWarp. Not sure if WOSEmu works on X1000 actually?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

I have now downloaded the version of Descent from Hyperion's website as the old one was working with corrupted graphics perviously, so it is all working ok

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hedeon Quote:
The Heretic II demo has no AHI, sadly.

I'm using the full commercial version of Heretic 2.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH Quote:
Initially it just crashed when I started it. GrimReaper showed it crashing in the lowlevel.library, so I tried attaching a USB joystick, and then miraculously it starts without crashing! (But because AmigaInput sucks, this must be done AFTER AmigaOS4 has booted. So if you soft reset, you must un-plug & re-plug the joystick again.)

It seems this might be due to my having ReWarp installed:
http://amigafun.blogspot.co.uk/2017/0 ... ewarp-on-amiga-x5000.html
Quote:
In the video you will witness two crashes. One in the lowlevel.library

This also seems to suggest that my non-working Warp3D in Heretic 2 might be due to ReWarp, although I am not aware of using the ReWarp3DPPC wrapper, so maybe not.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Does it run ok with WOSEmu then?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hedeon
Where can I find/get that? (I failed to find it.)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@outrun1978

Don't works for me :(

I don't get any reaction, No Grimm, no window, nothing at all.

:(

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RIBDEVIL

make sure you have the latest libraries in your libs folder from the following links

http://amigafun.blogspot.co.uk/2017/0 ... ewarp-on-amiga-x5000.html

as you can see from Hedeon's video, this will run

Go to top

Register To Post