Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

what wifi pci card is good for os4 ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hi all,

Have needs to setup wireless network on my x5k, and need to know what PCI card is 100% supported by os4 drivers. By 100% works i mean: bug-free, do not loose data, do not drop speed and just good enough for everyday use.

I know there is external ones whih connects to the Ethernet ports , but i need exactly PCI based card.

thanks!

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: what wifi pci card is good for os4 ?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

You need a Prism2-based card. AmigaKit might have one for sale, otherwise good luck - they are rather rare these days, as nobody wants 802.11ab 11Mbps cards any more.

Mine is a 3Com, I forget the model. There are lists of compatible cards within the Prism2 driver archive.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Way not use Wifi Addapter.

TP-Link TL-MR3020

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

There's also my 54Mbps atheros5000.device. Although some people have had problems getting it working on certain systems, when it works it works well. See the archive for details of supported cards.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Well you need a RTL 8169 PCI card (the best) or a RTL 8139 PCI card. They will both work with an X5000 out of the box. The RTL 8169 card does 10/100/1000 speed and the other one does 10/100

I am adding a PCIe (8169) card to our store (Amiga On The Lake) with worldwide shipping over the weekend but you can most likely get the 2 I recommended cheaper with less shipping cost in your area.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ncafferkey

i have been unable to get either the atheros5000.device or prism2.device drivers to work on my X5K system with any supported card. the cards and drivers work fine, though, on my pegasos2. would you be interested in the grim reaper logs?

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ncafferkey
Thanks for point out on. I may try to buy one of the supported , but will you in interest to fix bugs if they will not works on x5000 ?:) I may help with fast debugging, etc.

@eliyahu
What cards you try with ?

@apsturk
On your site i only see deprecing and emotional post, which should't be there, as it looks a bit over the top and unproffesional. Not sure if i want to buy anything from company who allow yourself to bring that kind of internal stuff with personal anger in the face of customers.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

for the prism2 driver i used a netgear MA311 and for the atheros 5000 driver i used a d-link dwl-g520. both worked great on my pegasos2 system. the netgear card even worked in my old SAM -- but both cause crashes on my X5000 when the wirelessmanager tool is run.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

try to find a pcie wifi, if possible do not use the pci bus

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
tested a dlink dwa556 on my x1000, it was working according to the readme.txt but no luck.

some old working/not working :

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... t_id=86165#forumpost86165

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tlosm

that statement is based on your own, actual experience, or you're just guessing?

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
I know there is external ones whih connects to the Ethernet ports , but i need exactly PCI based card.

I use Netgear WNCE2001 & WNCE3001 ethernet WIFI adapters. I only paid $30 for the WNCE2001 & $40 for the WNCE3001. They work great and don't need any drivers. They have internal HTML pages for making settings. Now that those adapters are out of production, some people are asking $99+ for those adapters. It seems that fewer companies are making ethernet WIFI adapters since the most people want USB WIFI adapters.

There is really only one PCI based card for OS4 that I know of (Prism). Personally, I would advise OS4 users to get a universal ethernet WIFI adapter (any brand) before they are unavailable and all start selling for rediculous prices.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@eliyahu

personal testing. better use the pcie less issue everyware.
i just switched my pci lan to a pcie lan and all is better on os4 and linux side.

plus im using a marvel pcie sata3 board i have 400MB/s on a samsung 840ssd on internal was 180MB/s with same ssd i hope will be a driver for it on os4 one day

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@xenic

TP-Link make them too (although they need external power unlike the NetGear). You can also make your own with a Raspberry Pi and a USB WiFi adapter (or a Pi3).

However, Kas1e specifically said he didn't want an Ethernet adapter.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

i just suggest better bus option ... better do not use pci.
use pcie bus will gave better speed and system stability. less issue.

Tested this on Linux and on Amigaos.
Example Rtl board on pci gave me on X5000 max 1.6MB/s DL on my ADSL( linux) 500kb/s on Amigaos
the Pcie Lan gave me 2.1 MB/s DL on Linux and 700 kb/s on Amigaos.

If i suggest is because i know and i test

Use of the pci bus is not the best option.

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
I'm very late in replying, but am hoping it might be useful for other people:

I bought one of these ages ago from AmigaKit:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... _info.php?products_id=158

Worked great in my Sam440, and now tested as working well in my X1000 with OS4.1 FE. But in the latter case I installed the latest prism2 (v2) drivers, rather than using those supplied by AmigaKit (ages ago).

I had previously manually installed new firmware in it (using a Windows PC), so that I could use WPA/WPA2 (rather than just WEP), and I can confirm this works great! I was able to use WPA2 to connect to both my home router's WiFi AND my phone's WiFi (in portable hotspot mode).

It's a shame that AmigaKit does not supply them with the updated firmware, because it's hard to do, but once you've done it once it's easy to do again.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Currently, that product from AmigaKit is listed as "Preorder" and Stock Expected: T.B.A.
I think that has been the situation for some months now.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top

Register To Post