Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 51

tolkien, more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Workbench Explorer feedback
Just popping in
From Bettendorf, IA, USA
@ChrisH

Those images are used once, in the Go menu for Users. Do you see the Users menu item? You should not. So those images should be skipped and not loaded.

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From Russia
@Mark
Probably i do something wrong, but feels like a bug. To reproduce:

-- go inside of any .lha archive
-- mark directory from archive
-- press RMB
-- choice Archive/Extract Archive

Now there is workbench explorer window with all that where to extract, full pathmeaes, overwrit mode, etc.

-- there press gadget to choice "Path"
-- select RAM DISK
-- press OK
-- now press OK in that unarchive workbench explorer window

=> result: nothing unpacked to ram.

If set in options "show output" , then when we trying to do all this we have "Processed nothing , press [Enter]..".

Home away from home
From Russia
@Mark
And as you ask for feature requests, there is few:

1). Will be good to have every window be resizable. For example "pattern one". Or that "unarchive" one. Or rename one. I.e. any window. They looks a bit like "non system" ones.

2). Add positibility to drag&drop stuff from Worbench Explorer to WB, and from WB to workbench explorer.

3). Add ability to change backgroud colors in listers. I.e. same as in filler for example. Check filler preferences "main" tab. In WeX In Appearance i can change only colors of all stuff , but not background color.

Ability to change background colors are pretty handy.

4). Will be cool to have in options Lister item. Where everything will be about Lister, and all the options about lister which placed now anywhere, put just to that entry.

PS. And i offten have crash in the HandleConnetListBrowser task, when i just run Wex and right away dbl-click on the any entry in lister. Probably that happens because of the same problem of slow resiing : it doing something, interrupts and crashes. Ignore DSI works through.

Also, probably that auto-save of prefs of hundrends of times in second make everything in the system act slower. Imho just save it only on exit, that will be clean and elegant way. Imho.

Home away from home
From England
@mritter0
I see no "Users" entry in the "Go" menu... But the image files are still "in use" & cannot be deleted...

kas1e wrote: Quote:
2). Add positibility to drag&drop stuff from Worbench Explorer to WB, and from WB to workbench explorer.

This would be great. Probably tricky to do (at least from WEx to WB) but Filer showed it is possible (and it's source code is available I believe)...

@kas1e Quote:
Imho just save it only on exit, that will be clean and elegant way. Imho.

Yeah, I think that is way it should be done... but it sounds like mritter0 has a different opinion :(

Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Bettendorf, IA, USA
@kas1e
I will double check on archive extract. I used to only support LhA, then switched to xad. LhA could do, xad can't, IIRC.

You can drag from WB to WEx, but not WEx to WB, and not WEx to WEx.

@ChrisH
I believe I fixed the images issue.

@all
The prefs are no longer saved automatically. I added Load/Save Preferences menu items and a "Save prefs on on exit" option. I can live with it.
I still may auto-save some settings, though.

The move/resize issue is also fixed. Left over command from testing it from months ago. Oops.

New version coming soon.

Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Cologne * Germany
@ChrisH
Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

Some initial observations of Mr Ritter's newly release WorkbenchExplorer. Feel free to add your own comments!

As my 'AOS 4.1FE u1' setup is not operational yet (harddrive failures - possibly due to instable voltages caused by drying caps in the psu of my towered A4kPPC) I cannot test the 'WorkbenchExplorer' myself.

I can only form an opinion by looking at the screenshots at your link.

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

It looks like a very promising start to what could be a Filer (or light-weight DOpus5) replacement (except a bit more inspired by Windows Explorer than I'd personally prefer).

I agree entirely!
What annoys me most with 'WindowsExplorer' (or with 'WindowsExplorer'-alikes) is that it just has one lister window.

Back in the old M$-DOS days there was the 'Norton Commander', which could be set to operate in one-window-mode or two-window-mode.

In 'WindowsExplorer', I have to click through the directory tree until I reach the location where the file I want to copy is located.
Then I can mark it and select an action (e.g. 'Copy').

And now comes the 'unnecessary part' (from my POV) - I have to click through the tree again to select the destination!

And the most annoying part is that I have to select source and destination each time I want to perform an action, while in 'DOpus 4.16' I select source and destination just once.

Maybe it is down to my own preference, but I prefer the way e.g. 'DOpus 4.16' does it.

It offers two lister windows where you can assign 'source' to one window and 'destination' to the other.
That's why I'm still using 'DOpus 4.16' instead of moving on to 'DOpus 5.x' or 'Magellan' (with OS 3.9/WarpOS, that is).

In my opinion it should at least offer the option to switch to a 'two lister windows'-mode in 'DOpus 4.16'-style.

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
   Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Bettendorf, IA, USA
@Dandy
Multiple tabs, not listers. It's not the 1990s any more.

And unless your destination lister changes to what you want magically, then what is the difference with WEx and tabs?

Report Go to top

Just can't stay away
@mritter0

Actually use of TABS is the killer for me, TABS are *not* suitable for browswing multple drawers at the same time because you can only see one drawer at a time.

Multiple listers DOpus 5 style (or Filer style) is much easier as you can dynamically copy between multiple destinations.

Tabs are fine in a webbrowser because you can only really read one at a time, but with file manger you can be readinh one and editing another whilst refering to a third.

There again I think you can run seperate instances as well with WEx , though it places a multiple dockies in the dock which is a bit clunky. One docky with popup menu to open / bring forward the relevent lister would be better.

THis *is* a matter of taste to some degree but don;t think that ideas created in teh 90s are autamatically out of date, I mean what system is the program designed for again?

Just popping in
From Cologne * Germany
@mritter0

Quote:

Original by mritter0:
@Dandy

Multiple tabs, not listers.

Yeah, I noticed the "Tabs"-item in the preferences window, but was not sure if that is comparable with multiple instances like in DOpus5.x. That is not bad, just that I'm used to the style of DOpus4.16 and by that prefer this design. A matter of personal taste, I think.

Quote:

Original by mritter0:

It's not the 1990s any more.

I know, but do you refuse e.g. to ride on a highway that was built in the 1990s, just because it was built in the 1990s?

Quote:

Original by mritter0:

And unless your destination lister changes to what you want magically, then what is the difference with WEx and tabs?

As I wrote before, I cannot test WB-Explorer, as I have to solve the issue with the harddrive failures in my old A4kPPC first. Once my harddrive (or possibly SSD) works reliable again I can continue setting up the OS 4.1FE u1 setup and test WB-Explorer.

This said, I can imagine that WB-Explorer with tabs is as usable as is DOpus5.x.
Just that my personal preference is the DOpus4.16 style...
As I said - I see the advantage of it in having to select source and destination just once in 'DOpus 4.16'.
That's why I went back to DOpus4.16 after testing DOpus5.x ...

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
   Report Go to top

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]