Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Picasso96 sold to Hyperion & Individual Computers
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
from Locutus over at EAB:
------------------------
Well.... http://picasso96.tabt.de/

Its something, lets see what comes of this....

--------------------------

sounds like great news to me

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: Picasso96 sold to Hyperion & Individual Computers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Picasso96 is unfortunately a development dead-end with many obstacles encountered in the RadeonHD driver work. The most notable being the 256 MB VRAM limit which cannot be easily solved.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Seems a very good news to me, perhaps a chance to have full support form the overlay on old r200 radeon card

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Well done!!

@amigakit
So maybe now the new owners can expand/update/remove such stoppers and create a new P96 V3 (or whatever version will come) into AOS4 (already built-in into gfx_lib) and AOS3.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So many issues with P96, we need a completely new modern 2D system.

Apart from the 256MB VRAM limit, P96 does not support tiled bitmaps, no multiple gfx card outputs, P96 does it's own copies between RAM and VRAM, renders one primitive at a time with no flush function, poor allocation page algorithm and many other constraints...

Its a system designed in the 1990s which unfortunately is not suitable for today.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The amiga classic seems to be part of the hyperion plan recently (see the update of os3.1)

It would be nice that there is a conductor at the head of the universe amiga (A-eon seems to me the best choice)

@Amigakit why not contact all the actors (applo team, hyperion, a-eon, morphos, aros, etc ...) and define a common roadmap

At some point it will have to be done to make it move Amiga better and faster

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit
Why buy if it's a dead end, then?

Retired
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Dunno why hyperion need it at all now, when they told milion times to all of us, that p96 deprecated, old, and repeat all what amigakit say in previous post. And that indeed true. For what it need it for now to worry about .. Maybe just to hold some rights for just in case ?:)

In the os itself it was almost removed from eyes and keeps only for compatibility reassons..

And, i do not know, maybe now, when Ben is not one of active directors of hyperion its all will be better, but i feel that this double-deal (i.e. solding to hyperion and to jens) will give us some popcorn later, for sure :)

The only good way can be its like jens will share newest p96 code and hyperion can reuse it :) But dunno why it all need it today anyway for os4..

@samo79
Quote:

Seems a very good news to me, perhaps a chance to have full support form the overlay on old r200 radeon card

What make you think, that now any kind of those demotivated and little kind of development resourses will be spend on p96, which was told deprecated ? I mean, overlay wasn't priority before, and for now, when there is RadeonHD where no needs for overlay anymore, and they not hyperion's property, and there is no one in hyperion works on old drivers anymore : why you think it can be any good or better now ?:) Probably all will be instead worse:)

I prepare some popcorn.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
What make you think, that now any kind of those demotivated and little kind of development resourses will be spend on p96, which was told deprecated ?

Well, if they bought it maybe they have in mind some kind of future development ...

Quote:
I mean, overlay wasn't priority before, and for now, when there is RadeonHD where no needs for overlay anymore

No need if you are using a RadeonHD, but for poor old users like me it could be very usefull .. even if i had to admit that it could be interesting for Hollywood at most as current video players have already some sort of support to play video decently

Quote:
why you think it can be any good or better now ?:) Probably all will be instead worse:)

I do not, just hope

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The driver you refer to, the ATIRadeon.chip driver used for the old R200 chipsets is owned by A-EON Technology Ltd. It was purchased from the original owner, Joshua Helms of ForeFront Technologies a few years ago. It is not part of the sale of Picasso96 RTG API.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hyperion did buy it maybe because 1) it has been integrated in the OS 2) because they're updating th 68k. Edison of the OS.
Kamelito

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmigaKit are you working on removing all these limitations by developing a new 2D API with Hyperion or without them?
Kamelito

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

im preparing pop corn too...

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit, @kas1e

Quote:
So many issues with P96, we need a completely new modern 2D system.

I don't understand Hyperion's move either but my best guess would be legal - rather than technological - reasons.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Indeed, it prevents any third party in the future who might get their hands on it, from pulling the rug from under OS4. So it might well be as simple as a security thing.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daedalus Quote:
Indeed, it prevents any third party in the future who might get their hands on it, from pulling the rug from under OS4. So it might well be as simple as a security thing.

It's rather sad to see all the tin-foil-hat reactions on amigaworld.net . The comments there used to be mostly intelligent (if rude), but now the first ones posted there are all just paranoid.

I hope it's not an indication of the general mental state of remaining Amiga users, and is only limited to AW.net (perhaps due to the MooBunny no-longer being available as an outlet for those with an unstable mental disposition).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:

Dunno why hyperion need it at all now, when they told milion times to all of us, that p96 deprecated,

LIBS:Picasso96API.library is "deprecated" with the API being merged with gfx library with tweeks to the API to make it more graphics.library comptable, but at this point it's likely still based on the p96 code, at least in a lot of places, and the backend (ie the gfx drivers) is still p96 based. If the rghts to use that are pulled from under hyperion by some other less friendly party aquiring them, they would be in an awkward position.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
I hope it's not an indication of the general mental state of remaining Amiga users, and is only limited to AW.net (perhaps due to the MooBunny no-longer being available as an outlet for those with an unstable mental disposition).

Some of them are getting their conspiracy theory fix elsewhere now.

If you go to a certain site you can see the sanity slipping further away from one of the more prominent posters on Moobunny.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post