Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: PUZZLE: How to launch a custom script during first OS41FE boot?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

WOW, interesting! I am not sure if I want to go that far :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit
Quote:
WOW, interesting! I am not sure if I want to go that far :)

Yea. You should probably consult some other programmers first. I'm not sure if it would work if a classic system is already running OS4. OS4 uses different patching functions. By the way, I checked the scripts in the install ISO and it appears that the installer is already adding a post-install script to WBStartup that executes the first time OS4 is started and then deletes inself.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
By the way, I checked the scripts in the install ISO and it appears that the installer is already adding a post-install script to WBStartup that executes the first time OS4 is started and then deletes inself.
Yes, that's what Rigo also explained above. AFAIR, it deletes itself once you have run the Extras installer (regardless of what, if anything, you install with it), since its purpose is to give you this option.

This functionality shouldn't prevent the solution you proposed, though, nor be harmed by it.

But apart from preventing a reboot, there may be more to look into, as I think the OS installation also inhibits all volumes just before doing the reboot. You'd have to prevent that as well, or you won't be able to do much.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache
Quote:
But apart from preventing a reboot, there may be more to look into, as I think the OS installation also inhibits all volumes just before doing the reboot. You'd have to prevent that as well, or you won't be able to do much.

Since he said he's installing to a hardfile, I don't know if a hardfile can be inhibited or if the filesystem device containing the hardfile would need to be inhibited. Either way, it might be possible to add 'uninhibit' code to the ColdReboot() patch. A further complication might be that the post-install script is added to WBStartup with a very low priority and I'm not sure if AmiKit's script should be started before or after the post-install script (probably after). In my opinion the real "show-stopper" for the whole process is the fact that modifying the Install process puts the responsibility for a clean install (no damage to users system) on him instead of Hyperion.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
Since he said he's installing to a hardfile, I don't know if a hardfile can be inhibited
Well, the OS installer runs under AmigaOS and must be seeing a volume, it doesn't know about such a concept as a hardfile. And yes, I guess you could un-inhibit in a patch, and inhibit again before rebooting (it's done for a reason - making sure all writing has stopped before the reboot; probably most relevant for those who still use FFS).

Quote:
In my opinion the real "show-stopper" for the whole process is the fact that modifying the Install process puts the responsibility for a clean install (no damage to users system) on him instead of Hyperion.
Very true. I'd steer well clear of messing with all this in practice if it were me - but it's great fun trying to invent theoretical solutions .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)