Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Compatibility of (old) PowerUp/WarpUp PPC software with NG hardware?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Back in 1988/89 I started with an Amiga 500. In 1997 I bought all the parts to build up an Amiga 4000 with CyberstormPPC in a Micronik BigTower.

Now, 19 years later, I'm considering to move on to Amiga NG hardware and OS.

But in the course of the years I collected a lot of Amiga productivity software for OS 3.x - including PowerUp/WarpUp PPC software, e.g. Wildfire7 PPC.

As we all are aware, the biggest disadvantage of the AmigaNG platform is the lack of native Amiga productivity Software, although some say games are more important than native AmigaOS 4.x productivity software.
That's why I'm wondering to what extent I can use my old OS 3.x productivity software on the NG machines, especially the PowerUp/WarpUp PPC software.

I assume I cannot run it natively on NG hardware, despite the software being written to use the PPC chip on CSPPC/BPPC. As this software is a mixture of 68k- and PPC code, I think I'd need an emulator like UAE with PPC support to run this software on NG machines.

But if I have to use an emulator anyway, wouldn't make it more sense to use this UAE on standard x64 PC hardware (from an economic point of view), as this delivers much more performance as even the latest AmigaNG hardware and costs just a fraction of the price for AmigaNG hardware?

I mean - basically I prefer real hardware over emulation.

But back in the days, when the price/performance ratio of the Amiga platform compared to the X86 platform was just the opposite of what it is today, I was also impressed by the possibility to emulate an PC with MS-DOS or an early Win version on my A500 - initially with PcTask and later with the little Vortex AtOnce286 classic hardware add-on. Even later, on my A4000, I used PCx to emulate a Win 3.1 box.

I loved to be able to switch forth and back between the Ammiga and the PC and using both for productive work in one casing in parallel. As Windows became more and more demanding in the course of the years, PCx was no longer an alternative to a real PC with WinXP. So I got one and networked it with the Amiga. This way I could keep up the feeling of running both in parallel - now using Darren Eveland's RDesktop port and smbfs.

I had to accept that today it is next to impossible to emulate a PC running the latest Win version in parallel to the Amiga on the latest AmigaNG hardware, as it offers too little performence for this task nowadays.

Last year my XP-PCs died.

As my house and my workplace are roughly 70 km apart, I have an apartment at my workplaces' location as well and have to commute forth and back every week.

At my house I meanwhile have a 64Bit Quadcore Core i5 PC with Win10 - I still have to get the latest AmigaForever version and to install it (my old AF 2006 version is too outdated now for Win10).

In my apartment at my workplaces' location currently only my Amiga 4000 PPC tower is left after the XP box died. I still have to buy a new PC for that location.

As long as the A4k works flawlessly, I'm fine with it.

But this year the failures started to become more frequently, as there are contact probs in the plug connection between CSPPC and the A4k Motherboard (in the past I just experienced one or two failures per year).

Cleaning the contacts had always helped to get it running again, but now I reached a point where the contacts are worn out and fixing the contact problem is getting more and more difficult with every failure.

I'm afraid I will have to replace these plugs with new ones, if I can get hold of them somewhere, before being able again to use the A4k on a regular basis.

That's why I'm wondering now which way to go...

I nearly had bought an A1X1k, but it was released a few months too late for me.
As I'm nearly 60 years old now, my health started to change for the worse and I had to invest the money I had saved for the A1X1k into my health.

This timing was really bad luck...

Currently I'm flirting with the idea of ordering the A1X5k, but in the face of my health probs I'm not sure if I can afford it.

So I'm looking for alternatives to new AmigaNG hardware now - just in case...

Your suggestions are welcome!

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Re: Compatibility of (old) PowerUp/WarpUp PPC software with NG hardware?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
ok, bad news first, warpup/powerup does not run on OS4.

Many years ago I tested warpup for os4. it worked but the speed difference between the warp version and 68k version was not noticable, some programs like fxPAINT just gave a little eye-candy with little animations in requesters but the actual speed difference when working with it was minimal.

Good news is that the 68k versions will work fine and far faster than on your A4000 as long as they're properly written and don't access the classic hardware directly.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

The old version WarposEMu actually does not work anymore, no but recently a new project reWarp. It works quite well. There is also a new project Warp3DPPC.library.

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/ReWarp

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/ReWarp3DPPC

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

"Now, 19 years later, I'm considering to move on to Amiga NG hardware and OS."
It's hardly a move too, it's pretty much the same thing.
Quote:
As we all are aware, the biggest disadvantage of the AmigaNG platform is the lack of native Amiga productivity Software, although some say games are more important than native AmigaOS 4.x productivity software.

A lot of productivity 680x0 software work, but there is a lot don't that work too; It's really depends on how modern the software is, software designed for AHI and RTG (Picasso96/CyberGraphics) should work. AGA / OCS / PAULA stuff will need emulation we have RunInUAE for that.

Do you have any specific software you like to run?

Quote:
I assume I cannot run it natively on NG hardware, despite the software being written to use the PPC chip on CSPPC/BPPC. As this software is a mixture of 68k- and PPC code, I think I'd need an emulator like UAE with PPC support to run this software on NG machines.

Well no, you don't need UAE to run 680x0 software, AmigaOS4.x has Petunia, and WarpOS programs happily run on ReWarp (I think), and so on.

WarpOS stuff is picky about CPU I won't guaranty anything.
But really what WarpOS software is that Important anyway?
I'm sure there many times more AmigaOS4 software then there is WarpOS software.

Quote:
wouldn't make it more sense to use this UAE on standard x64 PC hardware

No because, emulations have so many limitations on RAM, on speed, and on support for modern hardware, this are too big drawbacks, if you’re a real hardcore AmigaOS fan.
Quote:
Currently I'm flirting with the idea of ordering the A1X5k, but in the face of my health probs I'm not sure if I can afford it.
So I'm looking for alternatives to new AmigaNG hardware now - just in case...

Tabor (AmigaONE-X1222) good compromise all considered, maybe not the fastest box, but not too expletive, but many times faster than your old Amiga4000. Yes there is FPU issue, but if you're on budget, it makes sense.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/10/31 18:14:42
Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/10/31 18:19:38
Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/10/31 18:21:15
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
Tabor (AmigaONE-X3000) good compromise,,,

Tabor (AmigaONE A1222)

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy
While I can't really answer about WarpUp/PowerUp emulation on OS4, as I never found much need for it, you do raise a (rather inflamatory!) question:

Quote:
wouldn't make it more sense to use this UAE on standard x64 PC hardware (from an economic point of view), as this delivers much more performance as even the latest AmigaNG hardware and costs just a fraction of the price for AmigaNG hardware?

I went from A1200+PPC (which became too unstable) to Amithlon (which was awesome but development was halted) to WinUAE (which worked fine but the OS3 software got less & less usable) to finally AmigaOS4 (thanks to new h/w finally being released in the form of the Sam440). I haven't looked back

As I said, this is an inflammatory topic, because some people have strong feelings about their chosen platform. For me personally (I make no claims about anyone else), you couldn't pay me to use OS3.x again, even on screaming fast WinUAE emulation! OS3.x just feels so outdated, even with tons of hacks to 'modernise' it, and some important software (e.g. web browser, video player) is just too outdated to be usable. By comparison, OS4.1 is just such a nicer experience (inc lots of little touches), and there tends to be more & better software available than what OS3 has.

OS4 is basically just an upgraded OS3, so it feels strange to me to ask why you would NOT want to the newer version of the OS! It would be rather like asking if you should run Windows XP instead of Windows 7 !

I think there are also other benefits to having an Amiga OS running on real hardware
* No need to wait for Windows to boot before you can start booting your Amiga!
* Subjectively feels smoother & more responsive, and no chance of Windows causing intermittent lag or stutter.

(Amithlon managed some magic here, as it made x86 feel like native, but sadly as it's not a realistic option anymore.)

Edited by ChrisH on 2016/10/31 17:58:18
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy Quote:

I find that an odd idea, as from my perspective OS4 is able to run most non-games OS3 software (without emulation), plus you get the benefit of a large amount of OS4 native software. So I personally feel OS4 has a better software situation than OS3.

Maybe you can list the software that you are thinking of, as then that might explain your perspective. As far as I recall, PowerUp & WarpUp had almost NO software written for it at all, apart from the occasional "PPC plugin" to speed-up certain slow things (like JPEG decoding or some image processing).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Majority of productive software works with OS4.Even those few wich requires WarpOS.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ Severin - #2:

Quote:

Original by Severin:

Good news is that the 68k versions will work fine and far faster than on your A4000

"Far faster" than what? Faster than the PUP/WarpUp version?

And what if there is no 69k verion of the software?
(Wildfire7 PPC and WipeOut 2097 spring to my mind...)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mufa

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the links!

Ciao,
Dandy
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ LiveForIt - #2:

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

It's hardly a move too, it's pretty much the same thing.

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean here.
"NG hardware and OS" is the same as "classic hardware and OS"?

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

A lot of productivity 680x0 software work, but there is a lot don't that work too; It's really depends on how modern the software is, software designed for AHI and RTG (Picasso96/CyberGraphics) should work. AGA / OCS / PAULA stuff will need emulation we have RunInUAE for that.

Do you have any specific software you like to run?

Oh yes - quite a lot.

Some examples are (68k & PUP/WarpUp):
- DynaCadd
- Maxon CAD
- Maxon Cinema4D
- Maxon PLP v2
- CNC Tool
- Reflections
- MoonZoom Pro
- Imagine
- Real3D
- Wildfire7 PPC
- Elastic-/FantasticDreams
- ArtEffect 4
- MathAmation
- Comgraph (function plotter)
- NewIO
- LogicWorks
- ScanQuix5/fxScan (w. pdf maker and OCR)
- TurboPrint 7
- Office 97
- MorphOS for classics
- OS 4.0 classic
- PUP Linux / NetBSD (Amiga Unix Compendium)
- WipeOut 2097

...just to name a few.

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

Well no, you don't need UAE to run 680x0 software, AmigaOS4.x has Petunia, and WarpOS programs happily run on ReWarp (I think), and so on.

???
Errrm - didn't you just write:
"A lot of productivity 680x0 software work, ... AGA / OCS / PAULA stuff will need emulation we have RunInUAE for that."?

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

But really what WarpOS software is that Important anyway?

In the list above there are some included that are exclusively for PUP/WarpOS, some that have PPC modules, as well as some that are 68k only...

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

I'm sure there many times more AmigaOS4 software then there is WarpOS software.

That may probably be correct, but but I'm afraid there is not a single piece of native OS4.x software that is in the same street as one of the titles included in the list above - especially when it comes to engineering software like DynaCadd, MathAmation, NewIO and the like...

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

No because, emulations have so many limitations on RAM, on speed, and on support for modern hardware, this are too big drawbacks, if you’re a real hardcore AmigaOS fan.

???
I mean - it is some years ago when I started my outdated AmigaForever 2006 on my now defunct XP-PCs the last time - but as far as I recall, I could set up AmigaForever to have more RAM than any of the REAL Amigas ever had...

And a lot of things already worked faster with AmigaForever on my old 1.8 gHz PIII XP-PC than on a real Amiga - I bet today on my 64 Bit 3.2 gHz quadcore core i5 Win10-PC with the latest AmigaForever version they wouls fly...

B.t.w. - what's a "real hardcore AmigaOS fan" today?
I doubt to be "hardcore" enough to be counted among them...

Ciao,
Dandy
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ ChrisH - #6:

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

you do raise a (rather inflamatory!) question

That's why I wrote in the other reply: "I don't think I'm "hardcore" enough..."

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

I went from A1200+PPC (which became too unstable) to Amithlon

Yeah - my A4kPPC is also aging and by that becoming unstable.
Reason being the plug connection between CSPPC and the A4k mobo. They had always been the weak point in my system and I had to clean it's contacts once or twice a year with commercially available contact spray, but I'm afraid now the contacts in the plug connection are so worn out that this hardly helps anymore.
Most likely I will have to repllace both parts of the plug connection, if I can get hold of the spare parts somewhere...

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

WinUAE (which worked fine but the OS3 software got less & less usable)

???
I don't fully understand this - my OS3 soft still works as well as it did on day 1 (e.g. DynaCadd, Maxon Cinema 4D, ...).

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

to finally AmigaOS4 (...). I haven't looked back

Well, OS 4.x looks more modern - no doubt about that.

But I don't use an OS for its own sake.
I need the OS to provide all necessary functions of my hardware to the software I use in the best possible way.

And here the probs begin.

On the one hand there still are no OS4.x-native equivalents to the software I use on my classic Amiga and on the other hand OS 4.0 classic does not support my given hardare optimally (e.g. it supports just USB 1.1, just 10 mBit NIC, and just has limited support for my Mediator PCI busboard). That's why I never upgraded to OS 4.1 FE until now.

On top comes that my health is decreasing, while the costs for it are increasing. I had to invest the money I had saved for the A1X1k into my health. And this is still going on - there are still some surgeries to come and while I'm on sick leave I will just get roughly 60% of my normal earnings.
In short: significantly less money disposable for significantly higher costs...

And I have to admit that my health is more important to me than being an AOS fanboy ... please excuse my selfishness - I have to set priorities.

That's why I'm now wondering if it would not be best for me (read: the most economical way for me) to use my given heap of AOS 3.x/WarpOS software under emulation on real fast given PC hardware, instead of having to spend a fortune on new AmigaNG hardware, that is much less powerful than my given PC hardware (despite all the desire I have for A1-X1k/X5k - I would really love to play with the XENA/XORRO thingie).

Would I move to AmigaNG, I would have to buy new hardware.
If I could afford it currently, I would like to have an quadcore A1X5k, but even then I could not be sure to be able to run all my given OS 3.x/WarpOS software on it.
Furthermore, it is not very likely that OS4.x-native versions of 'my' classic productive software will be released within the rest of my remaining lifespan - and even if so, they would not be for free.

Would I move to the PC entirely, I would have to buy expensive PC productivity software to replace my given Amiga productivity software with it.

So the best (read: most economic) solution to my probs seems to be to get the latest AmigaForever, install it on my given quadcore 64Bit core i5 hardware and use my given OS3.x/WarpOS productivity software on that, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

OS3.x just feels so outdated

That may be, but it supports my given hardware better than OS 4.0 classic does and furthermore has significantly more productive software that I'm interested in than OS 4.x.

Or - the other way round - would you try to run Win10 on old 80386 hardware, just because Win10 feels so much more up-to-date than Win3.1?

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

and some important software (e.g. web browser, video player) is just too outdated to be usable.

Well, IBrowse 2.4 is still usable enough to browse all Amiga pages I use to visit.
And some other pages look 'ugly' (like Google or pulic transport schedule here in Germany), but work.

But you are of course perfectly right - a decent OS3.x-browser would be more than welcome and a decent video player for the latest formats as well (although I'm not bound to the Amiga with regard to watching videos).

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

By comparison, OS4.1 is just such a nicer experience (inc lots of little touches), ...

This is the part I can believe, ...

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

...and there tends to be more & better software available than what OS3 has.

...while that's the part I don't believe.
Not the software I need and not within my remaining life span (I'm 59.5 now)...

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

OS4 is basically just an upgraded OS3, so it feels strange to me to ask why you would NOT want to the newer version of the OS!

I did not say I would not 'want' the newer version of the OS - just that it doesn't seem to make sense to me, as it neither does support my given hardware satisfactorily, nor does it have the software available natively that I need.

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

It would be rather like asking if you should run Windows XP instead of Windows 7

Hehe - I would really like to run WinXP (if it would still be supported) instead of Win7/10.
I always used the "classic compatibility look" (skin?) that I was used from Win95/98SE.
This has been dropped in Win10 - at least I didn't find it up to now.

One of the things I hate about Win is that M$ tries to "re-invent the wheel" with every new version.
Nothing works the way you are used anymore.
If you e.g. look for a certain setting you will find it was moved over to the 'other end of Windows', if it is even still there at all.

Best example in this regard is the commercial virus checker I have.
In the XP version it offered the functionality to check drive x or USB stick y.
Now, in the Win10 version, this feature is no longer part of my virus checker - no, it has been moved to the context menu of Windows Explorer!
Stupid me - I should have known that I have to go to a bakehouse, when I want to buy a pair of shoes - and not to the shoe shop!
Arrrgghhh!!!

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

I think there are also other benefits to having an Amiga OS running on real hardware
* No need to wait for Windows to boot before you can start booting your Amiga!

These 30 seconds are easily compensated by the speed advantage of the emulation over the speed on real Amiga hardware.

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

* Subjectively feels smoother & more responsive, and no chance of Windows causing intermittent lag or stutter.

Haven't experienced that when I ran Amiga software on an emulated A4000 with OS3.9 in AmigaForever on my XP-PC.

Ciao,
Dandy
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ ChrisH - #7:
Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

I find that an odd idea, as from my perspective OS4 is able to run most non-games OS3 software (without emulation),

That may very well be, but I cannot test (only outdated OS4.0 classic).

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

plus you get the benefit of a large amount of OS4 native software. So I personally feel OS4 has a better software situation than OS3.

Your statement may be valid for some areas of application, but certainly not for the areas I'm interested in. I would have heard of that...

- Native 3D CAD software (mechanical engineering) for OS 4.x, like DynaCadd?
- Native math and function plotter software for OS 4.x, to be able to do the necessary calculations (like MatAmation, Comgraph and DataPlot)
- Native CNC software for that on OS 4.x, to be able to produce the parts I designed with DynaCadd on CNC machines?
- Native raytracing software for OS 4.x, that is able to use the 3D models from DynaCadd to generate photorealistic 3D views of the designed parts?
- Native animation software for OS 4.x, that is in the same league as Maxon Cinema 4D and enables me to generate photorealistic animations from these photorealistic 3D views, to be able to author "visual collision analysis"?
- Native schematics, (auto-)routing and logic analysing software for OS 4.x (like NewIO, A&O, AmiGAL/AmiBURN, ProNET/ProBOARD, Maxon PLP, LogicWorks, ...) to be able to design electronic controls?

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

Maybe you can list the software that you are thinking of, as then that might explain your perspective.

See above...

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

As far as I recall, PowerUp & WarpUp had almost NO software written for it at all, apart from the occasional "PPC plugin" to speed-up certain slow things (like JPEG decoding or some image processing).

Wildfire7 PPC?
ArtEffect 4 (various plugins)?
WipeOut 2097?
Fusion?
PCx?
Amiga Unix Compendium (Linux/NetBSD)?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

- Real3D - Not listed and I don't have this program.

I think that program is AGA, but there is something called fake AGA modes on OS4.1,
But I guess it will depend on hardware as well like bitter.

- TurboPrint 7
- ArtEffect 4

TurboPrint and ArtEffect 4 should work.
Note OS4 has few drivers included for PCL5 and PostScript, you might not even need TurboPrint.

Quote:

- DynaCadd
- Maxon CAD
- Maxon Cinema4D
- Maxon PLP v2
- CNC Tool
- Reflections
- MoonZoom Pro

http://www.intuitionbase.com/
This is what I have found "Cinema4D" is patrilocal supported, the install script does not work, you need to do some manual installation.

While looking for "Cinema4D", I found that "Cycas CAD" worked grate on AmigaOS4.1, according to IntutionBase compatibility list.

"Maxon CAD" Works fine under Final Edition, but you will need to use the Screens prefs tool to define the screenmode and palette. By default it wants a PAL screen and the pens are not quite correct.

"Imagine 3D"
DSI on launch, works thereafter; verified by scabit (31/08/12)
(this means the program has bug, that might corrupt memory, ignoring wrong and the program starts.)

- Wildfire7 PPC - Not listed and I don't have this program.
- Elastic-/FantasticDreams - Not listed and I don't have this program.

- MathAmation - Not listed and I don't have this program.
- Comgraph (function plotter) - Not listed and I don't have this program.
- NewIO - Not listed and I don't have this program.

Found source code to a program that can convert files from this program to postscript. The file format of this program looks simple. My guess is that won't take much to make program that like that.

- LogicWorks - Not listed and I don't have this program.
- ScanQuix5/fxScan (w. pdf maker and OCR) - Not listed and I don't have this program.

- Office 97 - Not listed and I don't have this program.
(Wordworth and TurboCalc works.)

Quote:
- WipeOut 2097

I got that last working on my AmigaONE-XE, using WarpEMU, I have not yet gotten it working on AmigaONE-X1000.
Quote:
- OS 4.0 classic

E-UAE for AmigaOS4.1 don’t have support for emulating a PowerPC CPU.

Quote:

- PUP Linux / NetBSD (Amiga Unix Compendium)

PowerUP Linux (PUP Linux), clearly not wrong kernel for wrong hardware, try instead Red Ribbon, Debian or Ubuntu Linux. Don't know of anyone who has tried to run any version of BSD (OpenBSD, FreeBSD)

Quote:
- MorphOS for classics

Really are you asking for this???

You need MorphOS for AmigaONE-X5000 or AmigaONE-X1000, you run into problems with graphic cards there, currently does support the newest graphic cards.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/11/3 20:26:18
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

Quote:
I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean here.
"NG hardware and OS" is the same as "classic hardware and OS"?

Well what I mean is that AmigaOS4.1 is not that different from AmigaOS3.9, it not like your major difference there, sure there is some improvements here and there.

Well yes the hardware is different, it's lot faster, but of course chips on AmigaONE, was not originally designed for AmigaOS. But that does not stop any one from making a driver or two.
Anyway how cares what chips it have; unless you look at chip never know what inside the box.
Quote:
I mean - it is some years ago when I started my outdated AmigaForever 2006 on my now defunct XP-PCs the last time - but as far as I recall, I could set up AmigaForever to have more RAM than any of the REAL Amigas ever had...

Well, Amiga1200/4000 can only have 256 or 128mb of ram, this what WinUAE can emulate.
AmigaONE-X1000 has 4 x DDR2 SDRAM slots, one stick is like 4GB, that’s 16gb of ram.

AmigaOS4.0 only supported 1.5 Gb or something, AmigaOS4.1 can use 2Gb, and can also make use of some of memory above 2GB limit, some of that excess memory is used for swap memory.
so it actually uses 4GB of ram.

The graphic cards WinUAE emulated is like 32mb graphic cards. Modern graphic cards like: RadeonHD 7990 has 6GB of graphic memory.

AmigaOS4.1 under WinUAE does not support things like Warp3D Nova or Composition.

Wells so you did not need so much memory on AmigaOS3.x, that might be true, but OS3.x most of the graphics where planar graphics, not more bits where used the colors needed, now most of the graphics is ARGB, even if alpha channel might not be needed.T here is also the JIT cache for petunia, and some other stuff that takes up ram.

Emulating other operating system like MacOS7/8 also take big chunk of memory, so the more you have the better in my option, Web browser also take lots of RAM.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
CYCAS CAD 1.78 does indeed work great on my X1000.
Unfortunately it seems to be in German only... Anyone managed to get it into English? The help file suggests it's possible...

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

Quote:
Fusion?

no not possible, can't relocate the memory, needed to do that.

You need to use Basilisk II, it work lot better then on 680x0 I found and fixed a few issues, but not every one manage to get it working. don't know if its finger problem or what.
my guess is that using wrong rom files.

Quote:
PCx?

Yes, there is two versions of PCx, there is JIT version and there interpreted version, the interpreted version works.

Hemmmm, or was it PcTask , its long time ago I tried it.

Better to use DosBOX for AmigaOS4.1.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/11/3 21:05:30
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

Quote:

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

???
Errrm - didn't you just write:
"A lot of productivity 680x0 software work, ... AGA / OCS / PAULA stuff will need emulation we have RunInUAE for that."?

Well 680x0 software is not just AGA, it's programs that open windows on workbench too, draw graphics by calling graphic.library functions. The true AGA program pokes hardware registers and do stuff like that.

Petunia is the JIT compiler built into AmigaOS4.x, that is responsible to translate 680x0 machine code into PowerPC machine code, so it that program's that where written for 680x0 can run a long side PowerPC programs.

RunInUAE is program that starts E-UAE, and lunches the program in E-UAE, running 680x0 program in E-UAE, is safe but its slower, and E-UAE does not have TCP/IP support, so there is some limitations there.

Latest version of the E-UAE has JIT compiler as well, it not the same JIT compiler, E-UAE emulates a complete computer so AGA/Paula and so on so it will always be slower then program that work without E-UAE.

So there is really two different ways to run 680x0 program, hope I'm being clear now.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Wipeout 2097 works now with Sakura It's ReWarp. Also Heretic II demo starts and it is possible to play some seconds.

Abouyt a speed of Petunia.

Napalm works with fixed RTG master library from OS4 depot. However it is unplayable as it is so fast that enemy destroys home base less than 30 seconds. With my 68060 machine this is about 15 minits.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ LiveForIt - #14:
Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- Real3D - Not listed and I don't have this program.

What do you mean with "not listed"? Where is it not listed?
You may want to download it here:
"Real3D v3" download at AmigaFuture

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

"Cinema4D" is patrilocal supported

Did you mean "partially"? Otherwise I don't know what "patrilocal" means...

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

I found that "Cycas CAD" worked grate on AmigaOS4.1

I'm not especially interested in "Cycas", as this is for architectural engineering.
I'm focussed on mechanical and electronic engineering.

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

"Maxon CAD" Works fine under Final Edition

"MaxonCAD" ist just 2D CAD and by that unusable for CNC. You need 3D CAD parts to generate an executable CNC code of it with "CNC Tool". The only real 3D CAD program for the classic Amiga was "DynaCADD".

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- Wildfire7 PPC - Not listed and I don't have this program.

In case you're interested in more information about this program:
"Wildfire7 PPC" documentation

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- Elastic-/FantasticDreams - Not listed and I don't have this program.

In case you're interested in more information about these programs:

"ElasticDreams" download at AmigaFuture

"Fantastic Dreams" review and download at AmigaFuture

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- MathAmation - Not listed and I don't have this program.

I could find no review or download link, but it was mentioned at AmigaFuture:

"MathAmation" mentioned at AmigaFuture

It is a quite advanced math program and function plotter with modules for mechanical engineering, physics, electric engineering, mercantile calculations and chemistry for the Amiga from 1987 by PS Squared Ltd. (Paddy Scully, Paul Sikorra), distributed by Progressive Peripherals.
As it is from 1987, the GUI looks rather antiquated, but it nevertheless is still usable.

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- Comgraph (function plotter) - Not listed and I don't have this program.

"Comgraph" review and download at Amiga Fish Disk database

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- NewIO - Not listed and I don't have this program.

Found source code to a program that can convert files from this program to postscript. The file format of this program looks simple. My guess is that won't take much to make program that like that.

"NewIO" download at AmigaFuture

I'd be careful with reasoning "NewIO's" complexity from the structure of it's output.
It is about autorouting PCBs from electronical schematics.
Its GUI may look rather antiquated, but I highly doubt that such a piece of good productive software "does not take much to make".

If it REALLY "does not take much to make" such a program, then go ahead, please, and make one e.g. with a more up-to-date GUI...

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- LogicWorks - Not listed and I don't have this program.

watch "LogicWorks" at work on YouTube

LogicWorks download at AmigaFuture

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- ScanQuix5/fxScan (w. pdf maker and OCR) - Not listed and I don't have this program.

In case you're interested in more information about these programs:

obviouisly you can still buy "ScanQuix5" here

IOSPIRIT information on "fxSCAN 4.05" on Amiga.org

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- Office 97 - Not listed and I don't have this program.
(Wordworth and TurboCalc works.)

Was an office bundle by SoftWood.
It contained "FinalWriter 97" (word processor), "FinalData 2.00" (database) and "FinalCalc 1.04" (spreadsheet software).

The problem with word processors on the Amiga for me is that I'm German and obviously need a word processor with a German spell checker. All the spell checkers included in the Amiga word processors I know only support the old German spelling rules. Since July 1, 1996, we have new spelling rules here in Germany. All the spell checkers included in the existing Amiga word processors do not master the new German spelling rules. Here an up-to-date solution would be required.

Furthermore, support for mainstream document formats (.doc, .docx) is mandatory.

An Amiga database software should be SQL-capable and Amiga spreadsheet software must be able to handle "Excel" formats (open and save).

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- WipeOut 2097
I got that last working on my AmigaONE-XE, using WarpEMU, I have not yet gotten it working on AmigaONE-X1000.

Sounds promising, but as I frequently said I rarely play games on my Miggy...

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- OS 4.0 classic
E-UAE for AmigaOS4.1 don’t have support for emulating a PowerPC CPU.

Well, I mentioned "OS 4.0 classic", "PUP Linux / NetBSD (Amiga Unix Compendium)" and "MorphOS for classics" more in reply to ChrisH's comment
Quote:

Original by ChrisH in posting #7:
As far as I recall, PowerUp & WarpUp had almost NO software written for it at all, apart from the occasional "PPC plugin" to speed-up certain slow things (like JPEG decoding or some image processing).
as those are especially for PowerUp & WarpUp systems...

Quote:

Original by LiveForIt:

- MorphOS for classics
Really are you asking for this???
You need MorphOS for AmigaONE-X5000 or AmigaONE-X1000, you run into problems with graphic cards there, currently does support the newest graphic cards.

Nah, I'm not asking for this, I once downloaded it to give it a try on my A4kPPC, only to see that it does not support my given hardware satisfactorily - just like "OS 4.0 classic"...

Ciao,
Dandy
(...
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »