Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

CANDI cpu usage seems high? (on X1000)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've tried all CANDI's themes, and they all appear to use 50% to 90% of CPU (typically 80%). Is that normal for an X1000?

(Also, I notice it has a task priority of -1. This rather high for a non-essential utility that is very CPU hungry. I'd have thought it should be -127 or similar, otherwise it risks heavily impacting speed of other "low priority" tasks. )

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: CANDI cpu usage seems high? (on X1000)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It is and I have no use of something eating so much CPU for nothing.

It is in the Enhancer Pack, otherwise I would never have bought something som much useless and using so much CPU.

Moreover, I'm using my X1000 daily and I have many programs opened so Candy will eat a lot of CPU while I won't watch anything of what it does in background.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L
Thanks for confirmation.

High CPU usage is not necessarily a problem, as long as the task priority is low enough that it does not prevent any other tasks from doing their thing. (Pre-emptive Round-robin Multitasking for the win!) But as I said, the task priority should really be -127 or similar. -1 is too high.

Oddly, if I choose "Low CPU", then the animation stops *completely*. I assume this is a bug.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

I think CPU usage depends on graphics card, I had very hight CPU rates when I first tested it (on a 5450), much better with my newer card (7700) though still other might be faster still.

Some animations are also much haevier on the CPU than others, the autmn leaves be agood example.

Priority wise I think -1 is low enough, it does give way to appliactions that need the CPU, -127 is dangerously slow for anything that renders graphics, you'll likely end up with deadlocks when as the rendering task locks the screen bitmap then can't get the CPU back to realease it.

I don't run it as a rule myself, but many seem to like it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

The CPU power used depends on a number of factors. One of the biggest influences is how many icons you have on the desktop. Animated backgrounds require the icons + labels to be redrawn every frame, and that involves software rendering.

Quote:
Oddly, if I choose "Low CPU", then the animation stops *completely*. I assume this is a bug.

Not necessarily. You could have something else chewing up all spare CPU power. IIRC, I remember some CPU load measuring tools working by basically using up all spare CPU power, and then subtracting its CPU time from the total. If the CPU load tool runs at a higher priority than the low CPU version, then it'll get no CPU time.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

CANDI is a hate-it or love-it program

I too have an X1000 (with a RadeonHD 7750) and ten icons on Workbench.

I use the "Default Light floating bubbles V1.7" on a 24/7 basis.
Together with the right background it just looks awesome and soothes my "work" hours on the miggy.

I use the "Low CPU" setting and my CPU load never goes (and stays) beyond 10% (normally jumping between 5 and 9%, very seldomly peaking at 12%)

So, it's either something else that's interfering or as others have said your gfx card or the amount of icons is the culprit

btw, i *love* CANDI

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues Quote:
Priority wise I think -1 is low enough, it does give way to appliactions that need the CPU, -127 is dangerously slow for anything that renders graphics, you'll likely end up with deadlocks when as the rendering task locks the screen bitmap then can't get the CPU back to realease it.

IMHO you should probably raise the task's priority while it is doing something like that. So you can have your cake & eat it (kind of).

Go to top

Register To Post