Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: Enhancer Software v1.1 installation observations & suggestions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
ADRipper (at OS4Depot) puts "Ripped&encoded by ADRipper" in the MP3 comment that is displayed when you load an ADRipper encoded MP3 file into AmigaAMP.

I've been thinking if it made sense to make this configurable from the ADRipper Prefs ("Metadata" tab).

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
I've been thinking if it made sense to make this configurable from the ADRipper Prefs ("Metadata" tab).

I don't see a "Metadata" tab in my ADRipper Prefs. Maybe you mean adding a tab? Originally I thought that the text box below the "Category" gadget in the main GUI was for adding a comment but no text I enter in that box seems to be added to the encoded file. Adding a configurable option certainly can't hurt.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

sorry to hijack this thread but I sent you a PM mid-june about an issue between ADRipper and GoogleDrive and never got any answer.

I can send it again...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Okay got it all working now.

Here's a teaser of the new improved tune info window

Resized Image

(along with a subliminal advert for my latest CD )

[edit] fixed image url....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Mmm it seems that you finally found a solution

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

I'm installing the Enhancer Software for the first time, and noticed various smaller & bigger issues: I was expecting it to be difficult to tell which software would replace existing OS4 components (which I wish to avoid as an OS4 beta-tester).
it will presumably warn that I am replacing existing components
the software you are (un)ticking will replace standard OS4 components.

While I think that keeping the OS "up-to-date" is basically a good idea, I nevertheless would like to point out that this also may cause problems.

Firstly I have to say that I have near to no experience with OS 4.x.
Though I have an "experimental install" of OS 4.0 classic on my A4k with CSPPC, I rarely used it, as OS 4.0 classic does not support my given hardware config as good as OS 3.9/WarpOS does.

Back in October 2011 I read about Grunch.
I thought it is a good idea to have the latest versions of my installed software, including the latest versions of e.g. libraries, dosdrivers etc.

So I installed Grunch and tested it. It worked as advertised and updated a lot of stuff on my system.
Initially I was happy, but then I detected that more and more programs stopped working, which worked flawlessly before.

Why?
The problem was that Grunch updated some components of OS 3.9 with files that were provided by third parties and were not 100% backwards compatible.

As I wanted to avoid such problems, I deleted Grunch frommy system fairly quickly. I tried to track everything that had been "updated" by Grunch and to reinstate the original state - but with moderate success.

I still had some progs that continued to refuse working.

Then, some months ago, I read about Chris's NetSurf port for AOS 3.x.
As I wanted a more up-to-date browser on my system than my AWeb- and IBrowse versions, I decided to download and test it.

But every time I tried to start NetSurf, my system crashed. With the help of Chris I tried to figure out what exactly the problem is. At some point we came to the conclusion it would be best to make a clean re-install of OS 3.9 and the corresponding official BoingBags I & II, to make sure that only the original system components are used.

After that, starting NetSurf still resulted in a system crash, but a bit later. Now I can at least see the splash screen before the system crashes...

So there still are issues - caused by this infamous "Grunch" packet manager.

So now my conclusion is NOT to use "Updater"- or "Enhancer"-software again, unless it is guaranteed that only officially certified and backwards compatible software will be used to replace system components.

It simply is too much work to get back a "clean" system, once the damage is done by some "updates"...

It's a real pity, as it basically is a good idea to have a "up-to-date" system - but only as long as it can somehow be ascertained that the software used to update the system is really compatible with the previous versions.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy Quote:
It simply is too much work to get back a "clean" system, once the damage is done by some "updates"...

Actually, AmiSystemRestore makes this pretty easy... although I haven't released a non-beta version.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Andy, if you're reading this thread, as you appear to be doing TuneNet updates I want to point this other thread out to you ==> http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3541

In case it's relevant and you haven't seen it already

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

I confirm, your program is fantastic. And works very well.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Odyssys bug aint TuneNets problem....

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Dandy

Quote:
At some point we came to the conclusion it would be best to make a clean re-install of OS 3.9 and the corresponding official BoingBags I & II, to make sure that only the original system components are used.

After that, starting NetSurf still resulted in a system crash, but a bit later. Now I can at least see the splash screen before the system crashes...

So there still are issues - caused by this infamous "Grunch" packet manager.
If you reinstalled from scratch on a clean formatted partition, how can any remaining problems have anything to do with wrong versions of OS components installed by Grunch? Don't you think there must be other reasons?

Best regards,

Niels

P.S. Not that I don't agree; you should always be careful replacing system components with alternatives. Know what you're doing, make plenty of notes and backups. And do only one thing at at time.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

I know Odyssey has the Curl fix already, so I figured TuneNet was the one crashing (I don't know if it uses libcurl of course)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

But it's Odyssey that crashes in that thread and Tunenet is not using curl, can't see how it could be TuneNets fault

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

I can't see anything in that thread that identifies Odyssey as being the one crashing... but if TuneNet doesn't use Curl then it's irrelevant anyway, however I thought it best to mention it!

I don't know why Odyssey is crashing as I'm fairly sure it was kas1e who told me the fix for that problem

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Rereading the thread it's not explictly obvious that odyssey is the one crashing, so I suppose it was obvious to me because TuneNet doesn't use curl for anything. (And other s had reported seperatly it with more explictly info about odyssey hanging till the GR was ignored).

But to be sure I looked through the TN code and it has a Class called SockAssist that handles all the netwrk stuff which opens it's own instance of bsdsocket.library and there is a distinct intance for each thread that needs it (there two one to atream a url and one to fetch a playlist from a url) , and the name resolve is not threaded seperately.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

Cool, thanks for checking.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
We are fully committed to the Enhancer Software project and welcome all feedback for the ever expanding set of utilities, drivers and libraries that it has. There is more work to do and the project will continue to grow larger and be refined as we implement improvements and new features on the development road map.

We will continue to respond to bug reports and produce regular updates whenever they are needed.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit
DISREGARD: SOLVED

I can add to what others have pointed out about replacing system components. Yesterday I got my SAM Flex out of the closet to update the UBoot with the new version just released. I haven't used the SAM since I updated it with OS4.1FE last year but it runs fine. Since I had it running I decided to do an Enhancer update too. After installing Enhancer my SAM would boot to the OS4.1 splash screen and stop. I was locked out. After a day and a half of booting with the OS4.1FE install CD and debugging, I finally discovered that the Enhancer "SmartFilesystem" won't boot from an SFS/0 partition and I had to remove the Enhancer "SmartFilesystem" and replace it with the previous version.

I don't use SFS/0 on my X1000, so I didn't notice this problem until I decided to update my SAM. I keep my SAM for a backup system and only get it out when it's needs updating.

I think the Enhancer package should be split into two Installers; one for system software additions and one for system 'replacement' software. It would have been a lot easier to determine what went wrong with my SAM if system replacement software was installed seperately. I haven't had time to check the Enhancer docs to see if it warned that the new SmartFilesystem won't boot from SFS/0. If not, others should be aware that installing the Enhancer SmartFilesystem on an SFS/0 boot partition (on a SAM anyway) could cause boot failure.

Edited by xenic on 2016/10/22 2:10:15
Edited by xenic on 2016/10/22 19:18:25
Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

I'm using the Enhancer Software Pack on bonth my Sam440 and my X1000 and both have SFS/00 partitions for the system. I boot both flawlessly.

There seem to be another problem.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic Quote:
I think the Enhancer package should be split into two Installers; one for system software additions and one for system 'replacement' software.

I like this suggestion! Go on AmigaKit, you know it's the right thing to do (whistles innocently).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »