Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

VooDoo, Marcian, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: First Warp3D Nova game released
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
How much RAM is AmicraftNova using on your machines? On mine, it runs well, but crashes because it runs out of RAM when 1600MB have been used.

I have alerted Caras to this.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ddni

That's quite a lot of RAM used.

I have 2GB on my Sam460 and no SWAP partition.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00

It doesn't grab that much initially. It creeps up during usage. Caras says it is likely a memory leak and he will fix it. I just wonder if that may be the cause of other peoples issues?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ddni

That sounds plausible at least.

@Caras

If you need more help with testing this issue don't hesitate to ask.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I did get a few crashes that the GR caught and was able to generate a stack trace. They were in glDeleteBuffers(). I assume I passed in a value that wasn't a valid buffer, but after much looking can't see how.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmjv7wjzkqi9 ... 6-09-30_14-56-08.txt?dl=0

And another one... doesn't say what opengl call, but must have been in glBindBuffer() or glBufferData().

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gcs2jc798vs ... 6-10-02_17-16-45.txt?dl=0

I'm giving up on this for now, it runs fine on my PC and on some OS4 machines, but gives seemingly completely random crashes on others.

Edited by Caras on 2016/10/2 10:29:07
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Caras

Have you reported these findings to Hans de Ruiter who is the developer of Warp3D Nova?

It might be a bug in the W3DN_SI driver or Warp3D Nova itself or the ogles2 wrapper.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Caras
Quote:
I did get a few crashes that the GR caught and was able to generate a stack trace. They were in glDeleteBuffers(). I assume I passed in a value that wasn't a valid buffer, but after much looking can't see how.

I took a quick look at the spot in the W3DN_SI driver listed in the stack trace, and it looks very much like an attempt to destroy a buffer that doesn't exist (so a stale/corrupt pointer). It's crashing at a FreeVecPooled() call, and there's actually a NULL pointer check in there. This suggests that the VBO in question has been freed and the memory reused before an attempt is made to free it again. Either that, or something's trashing memory and managed to corrupt that pointer.

@salass00
Quote:
Have you reported these findings to Hans de Ruiter who is the developer of Warp3D Nova?

It might be a bug in the W3DN_SI driver or Warp3D Nova itself or the ogles2 wrapper.

I certainly want people to report potential bugs. However, please make an effort to figure out if it's your own code, the GLES2 wrapper or Warp3D Nova first. I don't have time to be the "general graphics bug tracker."

The reason I'm saying this is because I've been sent far too many invalid bug reports in the past, and ended up debugging other people's code.** "It works on Linux/Windows" is not enough. When I was working on MiniGL I saw code that had uninitialised variable and/or array overrun bugs. They only worked on Linux/Windows because those OSes zero all memory before allocation. AmigaOS doesn't, and so is less forgiving for such bugs.

Likewise, AmigaOS does not have automatic stack extension, so we can still get data corruption caused by stack overflows. That can be checked fairly easily by allocating a ridiculously large stack before starting the game/app in question (start from a shell window, and use the stack command). If that solves the problem, then a stack cookie is needed.

If, after checking, you still think it's likely a driver bug, then please report it at http://amigadeveloper.com/bugreports/.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
nevermind

Edited by Caras on 2016/10/5 14:27:15
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've uploaded a new version 1.0.3 on os4depot. Please let me know if there are anymore crashes in opengl/warp3dnova.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@caras
It worked just fine for me today...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
My two cents regarding this leaking issue:
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.mussener/posts/1599164646776643

The game looks good btw., performance on my sam460 and low-end SI is great, no hickups.

Cheers,
Daniel

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Caras

Thanks to Daniel I can now use OGLES2. I've tried the latest Amicraft. and tried it, I do got a system lockup (while mining) and had to do a case button reboot. but when I started the game again I could not move. I was underground and had to dig out all the blocks again. I cleared a large space around me but trying to move in any direction fails, I can repeatly hit w and I move forward and backward a little (just the run stretching effect). I assume I'm stuck inside a block which isn't rendered. I can email the game files if you need them.

I'm using creative mode. is there a way to die and respawn so I can get out of the mancave I'm building?

Edit:

Tried again, got asnother lockup while underground and on restart I'm trapped inside a block again. can remove all the blocks around me but not the one I'm in.

Edited by Severin on 2016/10/11 17:42:27
Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

You could use a hex editor (I just tried this with FileX) to set your health to zero. Open the 'gamedata' file in the save directory, find the 17th last group of 32 bits (from the end) and set them all to zero. Take note of where you died and you should be able to get your stuff back. There is also a bug after respawning where the chunks wont be visible until you move around a bit, but it's still safe to move.

Or send me the file if you want and I'll edit it.

I'll re-enable flying mode in creative in the next version.

Edited by Caras on 2016/10/12 3:58:20
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Caras,

is it possible in future to add some ways to "mod" the graphics? Yesterday i tried to replace some textures and i found out that in the raw files the tiles are only 22x22 pixels, not much space to make some reworks. It would nice if a system where available where users can put its own artwork into the game, maybe make an alternative drawer with single textures instead of the tiled texture.

Minecraft also lives from such a modding community, would be cool if some AmiCraft users could do some stuff in Arteffect and upload it to os4depot ;)

Thanks,
Thomas

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@imagodespira

That's definitely possible, I'll have a think about it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Caras

Thank you! (is not the most important feature but nice, so first the "game" itself ;) )

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Caras

That worked. in this grab you can see the stone block my 'head' was stuck in:

Resized Image

Amicraft locks up regularly for me unless I play for a dew minutes, exit, restart play another few minutes etc.

The lockups are really annoying when for example I'd found coal, set up a furnace and was creating stone, locked up, restarted and the furnace, coal, cobbles and stone were all gone.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Caras

A bit more info:

It looks like the lockups occur during the auto save. I did a proper exit and restarted until the system locked.

a list of the game drawer shows:

furnaces 164 ----rw-d Today 17:35:49
chests 4 ----rw-d Today 17:35:49
gamedata 18296 ----rw-d Today 17:35:49
region.7.7 594064 ----rw-d Today 17:26:37
structures 262144 ----rw-d Yesterday 02:01:37
region.8.8 725168 ----rw-d Today 17:26:37
region.7.8 2101760 ----rw-d Today 17:26:37
dummy 2 ----rw-d 23-Oct-15 20:00:20
biomemap.raw 589824 ----rw-d Yesterday 02:01:37

As you can see the region.x.x date stamps are 10 minutes older.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

The region files contain the actual world when it has been altered from the procedural generation algorithm. These are only saved when needed so they could all have different date stamps.

Also saving the game shouldn't be able to lock up the whole system (could crash though). But you could test this by pressing escape to go the the main menu a few time. The game is saved every time you do this so that could confirm if it is a bug on save.

Being stuck in the block was caused by the game crashing before that chunk was saved. You destroyed the block, occupied its space, the game crashed but your new position had been saved and the chunk hadn't. The chunk appeared invisible because of back face culling (3D system doesn't render faces that aren't supposed to be visible).

In Minecraft you would suffocate and die if glitched in a block, I should implement that.

Also, always check the log.txt file, it could contain a clue to the crash.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »