Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

Capehill, more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

CPUDock vs CPUInfo
Just popping in
From Hawaii
After a recent minor AOS 4.1FE glitch, which mainly caused the loss of my CPUInfo Docky, I hunted a replacement copy in my backups, using "Find #?cpu#?" because I didn't remember the exact name.

As you may imagine, "Find #?cpu#?" brings up a lot of hits (184 on my system).
Apps:archives/zTools/Data/zTools/Dockies/CPUDock/CPUDock.docky caught my eye, and I assumed it was what I was used to, so I "re-"installed it in my TopDock. I saw immediately that it was not the one I was used to, so I looked again and found the old familiar CPUInfo, which I installed right alongside CPUDock, instead of replacing it.

What intrigues me is that for reasons I cannot fathom, CPUDock almost constantly reports "100%." But sometimes it gives quite reasonable figures, in the same range as CPUInfo, but never the same figures.

No big deal, but I'm curious. Have I done something wrong with CPUDock that prevents it from working right?

Report Go to top

Re: CPUDock vs CPUInfo
Just can't stay away
From France
@kilaueabart

Don't use CPUDock with another CPU monitor. Used alone, no problem on my x1000

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From England
@kilaueabart
I use "CPUTemp" docky for monitoring CPU usage. Works well for me. I can't recall why the "Temp" part, as it doesn't display temperature for me (maybe it was an option).

Report Go to top

Quite a regular
From Lyon, France
@ChrisH

CPUtemp will display temp on selected supported CPUs (such a some G4). Otherwise temp monitor is disabled.

Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Hawaii
@ChrisH
I have X1kTemp, which always makes it clear when summer is setting in here. (I understand the 55°C that it just complained about in "Core 1" is not really worrisome.) And I don't need a third CPU usage indicater, so I won't take your advice on that.

As for zzd10h's suggestion, I wonder if that means CPUInfo reporting 14% usage is what makes CPUDock claim 100%? Usually (but not at the moment) CPUDock reads well under 100%, but never agrees exactly with CPUInfo, currently "11%." I'm going to keep both for now.

Hmm. Case just reached 40°C and inspired a new warning.

Report Go to top

Quite a regular
From Sydney
@kilaueabart

All "CPU load" monitors work by running a very low priority task and counting over the sampling period, just how much total CPU time they get. So if you have two of them, they are going to be fighting for their share of the idle time and neither is going to get the proper result.

[Advanced Search]