Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Why AmigaOS 4.x autodocs are still containing classics info?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi
I've done a quick grep on the latest SDK and I got :

8520 (CIA) :
cia.doc 4 match
disc.doc 2 match
timer.doc 1 match

Blitter :
disk.font 1 match
exec.doc 1 match
graphics.doc 86 match
Picasso96API.doc 1 match
warp3d.doc 1 match

Copper :
exec.doc 1 match
graphics.doc 56 match
intution.doc 3 match

And I don't even look for others things like 68k registers or 68k code etc..

Why are the latest SDK still not up to date after all those years? Why nobody fixes this things?

Kamelito

Go to top
Re: Why AmigaOS 4.x autodocs are still containing classics info?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
OS 4.x also runs on classics you know...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus

Are you serious? I didn't knew that you could run it under OCS/ECS/AGA.
If I read here (see link below) I don't see any mention of classic chipset and AmigaOS for classic do not use the 68k processor to run. (Except for bootstrap I guess)
It run on Classic but nobody is going to use the SDK to program AmigaOS 4.x using 68k assembly and Classic chipset banging there Is NDK's for that Already and I don't even speak about the migration guide recommendations.
So my point is still valid.
Kamelito
http://www.amigaos.net/hardware/40/cl ... amiga-ppc-equipped-models

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Kamelito

If it's possible to do it, it should be included in the SDK. Just because it's unlikely to be used is no excuse for it not to be documented. OS4 can use the classic chipset so the methods for doing so should be documented, just in case someone for whatever reason wants to do that.

I don't see how it's any different from something like fpga.resource for example. I can't use it on my A1-XE G4, and yet it's included in the SDK. Should that be removed? Can you name any current application that uses it?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kamelito

Quote:
Are you serious? I didn't knew that you could run it under OCS/ECS/AGA.

Well, yes you can, but it's really slow because 32bit desktop has to be dithered and rendered on 8bit screen, and it looks bad too.
Quote:
If I read here (see link below) I don't see any mention of classic chipset and AmigaOS for classic do not use the 68k processor to run. (Except for bootstrap I guess)

Well Processor MC680x0 is parked after the PowerPC is started, but Denis, Paula, Agnus, Alice, whatever chipset on AMIGA does not vanish into thin air.

Quote:
It run on Classic but nobody is going to use the SDK to program AmigaOS 4.x using 68k assembly and Classic chipset banging there Is NDK's for that Already and I don't even speak about the migration guide recommendations.

Well let's say you have an old programmed in 100% 680x0 assembler, you wont that program to changed from hardware dependent to hardware agnostic, in order to rewrite part of the code that directly access chipset, you need to understand what code does, in that case the documentation can be great value.

Quote:
So my point is still valid.

Well No, not completely, as I wrote, you need the documents when your poring games/programs from Paula to AHI, or AGA hardware banging code to Picasso96 or modern graphic library.

I think it's important to update the examples and documentation that is not hardware dependent, and I think all examples today should be in C, as this default program language today, as it the program language every one use. With few exceptions.

Anyway, the obsolete documents are useful for reference, not as a guild line.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/6/30 17:37:57
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
The "old" information is also very useful when writing something to work on both OS4 and OS3, or porting something from OS3. Information which says "prior to v40, this function used to require blah blah blah" is very helpful, and not the sort of thing you necessarily want buried in the old Autodocs.

Go to top

Register To Post