Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

BillE, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

MPV why not?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi guys and devs,
i been tested the mpv player on linux ppc and it is really much more better compared the mplayer2 and mplayer.
it is faster and lighter plus dont desencronize audio and video with heavy video/movie
It is based on mplayer2 an evolution of mplayer
im thinking why not on Os4?

wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpv_(media_player)
sources
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Re: MPV why not?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Looks like it'd need a bunch of source changes to remove POSIX specific stuff.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tlosm

Well I don't think it will be any better then mplayer, just because the things we really need like (OpenGL) VDPAU, VAAPI and so on is missing.

And don't fool yourself, mpv will also be using avcodecs that comes from FFMPEG, so it wont be playing any faster.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt
here on x5000 i been tested mplayer, mplayer2 amd mpv
same configuration and on the same videos
1080p mp4 and 1080p mkv
result
mplayer really strong desync of videos 3/5 secs
mplayer2 desync video 1/2 secs
mpv perfect play
im sure have the same result will be hard on os4 because the miss of vdpau/va and smp but it can be a better player compared the old mplayer.

in any way the best player is kodi

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt
It would be nice if we had a multi-codec player that doesn't "desyncronize audio and video with heavy video/movie". (DvPlayer is good, but doesn't cover many codecs.)

I had always assumed it was a bug in the porting of MPlayer to OS4, but it sounds like this is not the case if the same happens on Linux PPC. (Or maybe it is a subtle Endian issue?)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Linux PPC. (Or maybe it is a subtle Endian issue?)

nope is just an old player it works good with 320,480 max 720p bigger video have problems

vlc and kodi are the best on linux ppc and on OsX PPC .
mpv is good too.

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

The Audio output code controls, the synchronization of the audio / video in mplayer. It has to do with buffering of audio, please have look at the code.

The other factor is CPU power, if you don't have power to decode the audio/video always in time, it effect the sync, there are also some differences between codecs, some codes are worse then others.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

DvPlayer is good, but doesn't cover many codecs.

It's not codecs support that is lacking in DvPlayer as it uses the same libavcodec as MPlayer does only implemented as a shared library.

If anything is lacking it is support for container formats (demuxers).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Quote:
same libavcodec as MPlayer does only implemented as a shared library.

All versions of mplayer is compiled normal GCC linking, not shared objects.

And DvPlayer does use Not use shared objects it used Amiga library's, as DvPlayer was pre shared object support. This makes it more tidies to upgrade avcodec.

General requirement for commercial products is that commercial and open source parts has to be separated, this can only be done if components are dynamical linked (shared objects), or Amiga library's.

As long as Mplayer is open source + plus all it components, it not in breath of GPL, the problem is really that avcodec library consists of many codecs with many difference licenses.

The problem with shard objects, is that API changes between versions, I needed to retrofit some newer avcodec code to make work with mplayer.

In other word, shared objects are not interchangeable, this is one major problems with Linux, in my option, there might also multiple revision between distributions of Linux, of the same version shard library's, so called DLL hell.

It not tempting, to distribute some knowing that outcome of user experience will be effected by user's ignorance, and changes to his system installation.

The way shared objects work on AmigaOS4.1, it does save memory, only disk space, in my option there are more disadvantages, then advantages to distribute software that way.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/7/13 0:39:30
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post