Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New game in the works by AmiBoing
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yes, it looks like they're working on their first 3D game. Here's a video they released recently:
https://youtu.be/WdlTILCTDKo

Obviously, it's very much a Work-In-Progress (WIP). I look forward to seeing it progress.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Re: New game in the works by AmiBoing
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Wow that is looking really good. I presume this is using the new Warp3D Nova API?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@gregthecanuck
Quote:
Wow that is looking really good. I presume this is using the new Warp3D Nova API?

No idea. I haven't asked them yet.

I just found out about the youtube video and thought it was worth sharing.

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I wonder if amigasoft.net will release some 3d games e.g. wolfenstein enemy territory using Warp3D Nova?

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello,

this was a quick and dirty try to show on an Amiga meeting two weeks before.

Quick and dirty because it uses MiniGL and the "Old" Warp3D SI. This here runs smooth (60fps here is the vsync limit) in fullHD on X1000 and Radeon HD7750. Also on my sam460 (where i test my 3D scenes) it works well. Warp3D nova will boost it a bit ;)

For Warp3D Nova currently we have to code direct (not on MiniGL) and this would need more time (We had only some days before the meeting). As Daniel Müßener will work on OpenGL ES, we will use this as layer between the upcoming Warp3D Nova. As we have limited ressources we have to be effective, a GL layer helps us a lot to work on all our platforms (Android etc.).

We also have tried Warp3D Nova with direct coding, works well. Bump Mapping, Specular Maps etc. no problem. As we do our first steps in making a 3D game, we have a long way before. Maybe the first project will be a smaller one. We will see ;)

Resized Image

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Great! I like your games!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

awesome it looks like we'll be getting a new 3D game incorporating Warps3D Nova goodness

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@imagodespira

Quote:
this was a quick and dirty try to show on an Amiga meeting two weeks before.

It's looking good so far.

I see in the photo that you're using Blender for modelling. Is the game/graphics engine custom built? Or did you start with an existing one? There is a game engine out there called XEngine.

Quote:
For Warp3D Nova currently we have to code direct (not on MiniGL) and this would need more time (We had only some days before the meeting). As Daniel Müßener will work on OpenGL ES, we will use this as layer between the upcoming Warp3D Nova. As we have limited ressources we have to be effective, a GL layer helps us a lot to work on all our platforms (Android etc.).

That makes sense. Using a cross-platform API certainly cuts down on coding time when you need to support multiple platforms.

Quote:
We also have tried Warp3D Nova with direct coding, works well. Bump Mapping, Specular Maps etc. no problem. As we do our first steps in making a 3D game, we have a long way before. Maybe the first project will be a smaller one. We will see ;)

Sounds good.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
It's looking good so far. I see in the photo that you're using Blender for modelling. Is the game/graphics engine custom built? Or did you start with an existing one? There is a game engine out there called XEngine.

The game engine is custom built. We don´t want to use existing engines because we have in our own engines more ways to optimize. The own engine also contains only the needed functions. XEngine is currently an internal work in progress name and maybe changed. As this engine will only used for our own games, there is no need to give it a big brand. We also have an export format that our game engine can read without modifications, so i can test all things i need instantly. Currently i build it on windows blender, then save it on my NAS, then load it on AmigaOS to test it. As the Warp3D (SI !!) is very limited, it is a perfect test platform to see performance issues.

Quote:
Quote: For Warp3D Nova currently we have to code direct (not on MiniGL) and this would need more time (We had only some days before the meeting). As Daniel Müßener will work on OpenGL ES, we will use this as layer between the upcoming Warp3D Nova. As we have limited ressources we have to be effective, a GL layer helps us a lot to work on all our platforms (Android etc.). That makes sense. Using a cross-platform API certainly cuts down on coding time when you need to support multiple platforms.

As we are a two man team and only Frank is coding, we need to be effective. Currently the versions on Android and AmigaOS are on the same Level (Vertex coloring, single texture, multitexture, multiple UV coords, simple collision, fog, some optimizes for hidden objects, specular maps + normal map (nova tests)).

I spent around one year to learn blender. It was a very hard task for me because it is not very intuitive. But it is free and has all features we need, so i had to learn it. My hope is that we someday get an updated Version of Blender (2.7x), the current AmigaOS Port runs well but it is very different from the current versions (layout + shortcurs + file format). Also the tutorials in the web are for newer versions, so the entry is very hard if you want to use the old one. If there where a new version i could 90% of my current work do on AmigaOS ;)

The game:
It is far from finishing! As we do all from scratch (game engine, all graphics/texture painting, 3D objects building + optimizing) and we are only two, it will take time. We have a concept for story and gameplay but it may change while working on it. Maybe before the big project, we will do a smaller game before (with parts of the big projects).

Regards,
Thomas

Resized Image

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@imagodespira
Quote:
The game engine is custom built. We don´t want to use existing engines because we have in our own engines more ways to optimize. The own engine also contains only the needed functions. XEngine is currently an internal work in progress name and maybe changed. As this engine will only used for our own games, there is no need to give it a big brand.

Nice!

Quote:
We also have an export format that our game engine can read without modifications, so i can test all things i need instantly. Currently i build it on windows blender, then save it on my NAS, then load it on AmigaOS to test it. As the Warp3D (SI !!) is very limited, it is a perfect test platform to see performance issues.

Yes, Warp3D (and MiniGL) is pretty limited. I pulled every trick that I could think of to boost performance of the W3D_SI driver, and to workaround things MiniGL does. However, you're still dealing with the large overhead of doing TCL on the CPU (20-30% in some cases, when we profiled it on a Sam460), and then copying every transformed vertex to the GPU (which still doesn't use DMA/GART).

Quote:
I spent around one year to learn blender. It was a very hard task for me because it is not very intuitive. But it is free and has all features we need, so i had to learn it.

I admire your perseverance. I've personally never got far with Blender. Mind you, I've never done much 3D modelling to begin with.

Hans

Go to top

Register To Post