Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Got my A1-SE G3 running, now what ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I wasn't to active here but since today I have my A-SE G3 running after finally finding 2x 512MB memory modules that were compatible and did not cost an arm and/or a leg.

I am currently running OS4.0 on it to test the hardware, to see if I could get it running in the first place. I suppose next thing is buying OS4.1, I didn't want to buy it before I knew everything was working.

For now I have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 and a Radeon9000 pro. What can/should I put in there ? I placed a NEC USB 2.0 card but doesn't do much.

Proud Member Of The Belgian Amiga Club Since 2003
Go to top
Re: Got my A1-SE G3 running, now what ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SimonV

Congratulations. From what I've heard, SE's are harder to get going than XE's.

As for the NEC USB 2.0, I don't remember when the drivers for USB 2 came long, but if you're still with 4.0, I'm guessing the necessary drivers aren't in there.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So the nec USB can stay, I just need to upgrade to 4.1 ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SimonV

Like I said, I'm guessing, trying to remember when we got the drivers for USB 2. But the NEC USB2 card in my XE is working fine. I just can't remember when in the timeline I got it running. I remember it was a dramatic upgrade --speedwise-- when I made the jump from USB1 to USB2 on the Amiga. At any rate, the price for trying 4.1FE is not that high, if it ends up not working on your SE for some reason.

Nice video card, by the way. I hear they're better than my 9250.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

I bought that video card long time ago for my pc and it's equipped with one of those big silent zalmann coolers. I like it very much, good enough for the G3 is suppose.

Got to buy 4.1 this week. I hope it goes as well as 4.0 on the old SE.

Weren't there problems with SE boards to start with , USB and IDE ? I forgot about it, I had ùA1 10 years ago and when the cpu died that was the end of me using OS4.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SimonV

I don't think the IDE and USB issues were limited to the SE. I sent my XE-G4 off to Kurt Grach in New York to have those issues fixed on my board.

I ran across this YouTube reference, and thought you might find it interesting. SE running 4.1 update6

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@SimonV

I'm using Sii0680 card for IDE on my SE. You can test the onboard IDE but using a SiliconImage card is better idea. If you'll go that SiliconImage route the newer device drivers doesn't work with the SE. I'm using an older 53.3 version. So keep the old driver from your AOS 4.0 installation in case you will need it.

Other people have said that the NEC USB should work but I haven't had such card myself. Usually I burn my own AOS installation CD with all USB related stuff being removed.

Do anybody remember if 3D was supported on 9000 pro ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK

Yes 3D is supported on the 9000 Pro.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I found a radeon 9600pro with 256mb ram in a pile of cards I salvaged from old winboxes .... is that supported somehow ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@SimonV

Quote:
I found a radeon 9600pro with 256mb ram in a pile of cards I salvaged from old winboxes .... is that supported somehow ?

I doubt that. Wasn't 9250 the best supported model from those old Radeon series ? Also newer AGP cards might require different voltage than what the AGP port of the SE supports, if it's an AGP card. You might break your graphics card and/or the motherboard if the voltage is wrong. Also you'll need the correct voltage with PCI cards.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK The 9000 Pro is the best to use with Warp3D of those older models. I remember reading that even the 9800 works but only in 2D if you got the right model.

The 9250 seems to be the most common gfx-card. Yes checking voltage is important and also depending on the model some gfx-cards works with the whole 256MB VRAM and some, like mine, use only half of the 256MB.

9000 Pro for maximum speed or 9250, preferably the 128-bit model seems to be the choices available for AGP and Warp3D.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I keep the 9000pro in that case

Concerning pci cards, should I look to voltages there also ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html

Interesting read on agp voltages.

An other source on the net states a 9600pro needs 4x or 8x agp slot but says a 9500pro can use agp 2x. Anyway for now I stick to the 9000.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@hotrod

Quote:
I remember reading that even the 9800 works but only in 2D if you got the right model.

I have one of those 9800's which will actually work with my XE. 512 MB, but only 256 is recognized. But I'm using the 9250 because of more complete compatability.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes, I did found out that a 9800xt would work in AGP 2x but if a warp3d or "xyz" isn't supported or working as it should then I do not see the point in upgrading.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
After some trial and error I got OS4.1 running, a NEC USB card in it that seems to work and also the network does what it is supposed to do.

Only strange thing to me is that it's always booting in to the early startup menu without me asking for it ?

Go to top

Register To Post