Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

The Castle Doctrine game (source code & game files available)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've been very interested in the game The Castle Doctrine for a while now (it's pretty unique), but was put-off by the relatively high price on Steam & rumours of it's multiplayer base having died a death recently.

I've just discovered that the original author made the unusual move of making all source code & games files Public Domain. Which means you can download it without having to buy it. Someone has even updated it after the original author appears to have abandoned it:
http://s566692309.online.de/CastleDoc ... erver/client_download.php

In theory you'd still need to buy the game to play it, due to needing to connect to a multiplayer server, but the same person has also set-up their own server for which registration is free:
http://s566692309.online.de/CastleDoc ... ticketServer/register.php
(This server also attempts to solve multiplayer base issue by implementing "bots" to create houses you can rob. Among other improvements.)

The Castle Doctrine has very basic graphics/etc, so I'd guess it MIGHT be easy to port to AmigaOS4 (at least worth a look).

I haven't yet actually played the game, but I expect it to be very addictive... The initial learning curve is probably very steep, so I plan to learn to play the game by trying to rob other house, and only bother protecting my house (i.e. spend money) once I understand the robber's point of view (and thus how to hopefully thwart them). i.e. Die lots of times learning how to rob houses, without worrying about loosing my stuff due to poor security of my house & mistakes while robbing other houses.

Edited by ChrisH on 2015/5/16 19:43:43
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: The Castle Doctrine game (source code & game files available)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
The game uses immediate mode OpenGL, so it can indeed be easy to port.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

meh I'm more the Avatar in Ultima or Demon Hunter in Diablo so this game really does nothing to pique my interest

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BSzili

I like it when you say things like this! ;)

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
i ported some of his older games, they where all endian safe and used SDL, making it more or less a compile and run thing.

Go to top

Register To Post