Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

BillE, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Do SiIL SATA cards go bad?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I've been having trouble with the 2 hard drives in my XE. Since they are the same age, model and brand, I thought it was possible they both started failing at the same time.

Bad checksums, general failure of device, etc.

I just put a new 1 TB drive in, and now I'm getting a general failure notice on it, after successfully partitioning the drive and installing 4.1FE (SFS/00 on the System partition.)

Has anyone had such a problem and solved it by putting in a new SATA card? I tried ordering from acube, but had trouble with their website locking up twice during the order process. (using a different, Windows computer)

So I just want a little feedback before I try ordering again.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: Do SiIL SATA cards go bad?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Paul

SSD?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

No, it's a Toshiba standard SATA platter drive. No jumpers on it for setting anything. The two Hitachi drives I had in the XE already were also 1TB platter drives and are about 4 years old.

It's a SiIL 3112 card. I'm planning on ordering a 3114 in view of eventually getting a SAM 460 and needing to get a SATA CD/DVD drive.

Hmmmmm. . . can an XE's Uboot boot from a 3114?

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, I've had one die on me only a few days ago. The boot process seemed to freeze, but left to itself, it would complete after half an hour or so. The card seemed to be continuously interrupting while ever a HD was connected to it.

Once the system was up, I could move the mouse, but nothing would seem to change for about a minute, when the mouse pointer would jerk on the screen. You can imagine how long it took to type a command on the console.

Replacing the card fixed the problem, but it *could* have been just the act of unplugging the card and replugging the new one. I didn't recheck the old one after satisfying myself that it was the fault of the card.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
but it *could* have been just the act of unplugging the card and replugging the new one.

I've pulled the current card out and replaced it twice now. Apparently it didn't do anything to help

I suspect the card because suddenly TWO drives go bad at the same time, and then a third brand new one doesn't work right either.

. . . and I was so careful to make fresh backups on the second drive before changing anything.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

If you are considering getting a SAM460ex and a sii3114, keep in mind that the driver treats the four ports in parallel, acts as if it is a PATA card in terms of primary/secondary/master/slave setup, and can be very difficult to set up so that you don't have a two minute boot time due to timeouts on ports 1 and 3.

Sold the SAM460ex lite... waiting for money for X5000 or A1222 and OS 4.2
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@interrogative

Yah, I followed your other thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

Haven't heard back from acube yet on whether my order went through or not. But I found a 3114 Masscool card at Newegg and ordered it. Here's hoping it boots and works on my XE.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
Yes, I've had one die on me only a few days ago. The boot process seemed to freeze, but left to itself, it would complete after half an hour or so. The card seemed to be continuously interrupting while ever a HD was connected to it.

Once the system was up, I could move the mouse, but nothing would seem to change for about a minute, when the mouse pointer would jerk on the screen. You can imagine how long it took to type a command on the console.

Replacing the card fixed the problem, but it *could* have been just the act of unplugging the card and replugging the new one. I didn't recheck the old one after satisfying myself that it was the fault of the card.

A brand new 3512 just did the same thing to me. Time to send it back for a refund.

Go to top
Re: Do SiIL SATA cards go bad? NEW PROBLEM
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

I got a Sii3114 from Newegg and put it in the PCI slot on my XE. No luck.

I can boot from my VIA CDROM into FE OK. The hard drives then show up on the workbench. But my new hard drive reports having a write error and will not let me reformat it.

If I try to boot from the HD's it reports no SLB and refuses to boot. I have re-installed the SLB from the FE CD twice now to the RDB on DH0:, but when I try to boot from either of the HD's it reports no SLB.

Any ideas??

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

There might be some help on the Hyperion forums for XE.

Setting up 3114 on XE

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@interrogative

Thanks! I haven't been to the forums for a long time. I'll take a look.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Re: Do SiIL SATA cards go bad? New 3112 not working
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Back again after our move.

One of the first things I worked on after settling in was to put in one of the new SiI 3112 cards I ordered. Still no boot from hard drive.

I get the following after it now finds the SLB:

"No config file found in any supported media/device!"
"No configuration file in any partitions."
"Press any key to continue"

A close look at the SiI card reveals that it is a 3112A Does this revision mean I have two more SiI cards that won't boot?

I've re-written the RDB on the offending drive, repartitioned and reformatted it and reinstalled 4.1 FE using the CD to boot from the onbhoard VIA PATA

Help! I miss my Amiga!

Paul

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post