Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Wordworth7 on public screen
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
On the WW prefs you can either choose for opening WW on Workbench or its own screen, whichis what i prefer to use.

This last one however is not a public screen..

I want to be able to position other applications on it by making it public.

Is there some way to do this?

Go to top
Re: Wordworth7 on public screen
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
As a user, you can't AFAIK.
As a developer, you need to read:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Public_S ... _new_Custom_Screen_Public

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Elwood

Thanks

I also read

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Screen_Programming
"the default public screen (which is normally the Workbench)."

There must be a possibility to define an other screen as the default public screen then?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Use Screens prefs to define a public screen and tell wordworth to open on that.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin

I tried that,
Can't make it work.
Wordworth prefs allows you to vhose between Workbench screen and its custom screen Wordworth
Even if i create a public screen with same name and open it before launching Wordworth, Wordworth opens its own screen.

If i could make some other screen the default screen, perhaps WW would open on that one when i select Workbench screen in prefs.

Other possible solution is maybe to patch the Openscreen() call for the Wordworth screen.
That's above my abilities

Why do i need this?

Well, WW does come with 3 language dictionaries & corresponding spellchecking.
You install WW for one of these languages (Englisch French German)
So installing WW 3 times you can have spellchecking on 3 different languages.
For other languages i use Abiword under Cygnix. (including dutch)

As Abiword is slower on my sytem i would prefer to have spellchecking in dutch for WW

I developed a spelchecking gui using aspell to do this with BareEd, NotePad, CED. It works witn WW too, but only in Workbench mode.
Less well than for the other editors., WW playing hide & seek with the gui. and other open windows. This should be less of a problem with WW & its gui being the only users of a public screen.

The gui is easy to adapt to the languages you prefer (& available with aspell)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt
You're right. You can't turn a custom screen into a public screen with SYS:Prefs/Screens. You can create a public screen with the Screens command and then trick Wordworth into opening on that screen. If you set Wordworth to open on Workbench, you can use a pubscreen utility like Setdefpubscreen at OS4Depot to change the default public screen and Wordworth will open on it like it normally would on WorkBench. However, you need to start WordWorth with a script that will reset the default public screen back to WorkBench after starting Wordworth; otherwise all your Workbench programs will open on the Wordworth screen. Here is an example of a script similar to one that I used:

---------------------------------------------------
; Wordworth start script
Setdefpubscreen "<screen_name>"
run <NIL: >NIL: *>NIL: Wordworth
Wait 5
Setdefpubscreen "Workbench"
---------------------------------------------------

Substitute your screen name where the script has <screen_name>. The delay is necessary to give Wordworth time to open completely. You may need to increase the delay or experiment with decreasing it.

I don't think you will be happy with the results though. Wordworth does something to the screen palette and you will have bizarre colors like green dragbars and purple string gadget backgrounds.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

You can promote a private screen in screns prefs ( I think) but you can't force it public.

@Xenic

That' the approach I would suggest, make wordworth open on default public screen then togle which screen is default. That assumes wordwrth doesn't explictly choose workbench rather than default, havent tested.

@JosDuchit
Quote:

Well, WW does come with 3 language dictionaries & corresponding spellchecking.
You install WW for one of these languages (Englisch French German)
So installing WW 3 times you can have spellchecking on 3 different languages.

Within Wordworth settings there is an option to choose the dictionary. No need to install wordworth 3 times! If you can reverse engineer the dictionary format, you might comvert your aspell dictionsaries or other sources in a wordworth dictionary.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

That' the approach I would suggest, make wordworth open on default public screen then togle which screen is default. That assumes wordwrth doesn't explictly choose workbench rather than default, havent tested.

If it does the SHANGHAI mode flag of intuition.library SetPubScreenModes() function can be used to get around it.

Quote:

SHANGHAI: workbench windows are to be opened on the default public screen

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
That assumes wordwrth doesn't explictly choose workbench rather than default, havent tested.

I tried it and it works. I was going to use Wordworth instead of FinalWriter but I couldn't overcome the weird system colors when it was tricked into opening on a public screen. I still have Wordworth installed but I use FinalWriter.

EDIT: I assumed that Setdefpubscreen set the SHANGHAI mode but apparently it doesn't; Wordworth may be explicitly requesting the Workbench screen like you suggest.

Edited by xenic on 2015/3/22 21:03:47

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all
I assumed that Setdefpubscreen worked like the similar utility that I wrote and use. I just tried Setdefpubscreen and apparently it's not setting the SHANGHAI mode. Sorry for the confusion.

@JosDuchIt
If you want to try my pubscreen utility which does set the SHANGHAI mode and does work with Wordworth, just give me an email address and I'll send it to you (or PM me with and email address).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

but I couldn't overcome the weird system colors when it was tricked into opening on a public screen.

Make sure that the public screen you create doesn't copy the workbench, and uses default palette. ie the '3.1 look'

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Overlooked that dictionnary settings, thanks

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Thanks for the proposal

see PM

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt
Email sent. Let us know here if it works for you.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

It worked like this (a bit strange)

have a Wordworjth screen defined with screenprefs
>defpub Wordworth // an initial screen opens, this screens remains there
launch WW from Icon, // opens on its own screen ( i had crash with launcn from CLI, as its WW icon's is set to launch from WB)
change WW settings screen to Workbench ,, WW openson public screen (with strange colours)

save the settings
close WW
//initial screen still there
2nd round:

>defpub
> defpub Wordworth
launch WW, opens on its public screen (with strange colours again"
close WW // the initial screen is still open
A have a killscreen command in Gui4Cli so i can get rid of it. in a scriptI guess equivalent CLI commands do exist

Thanks for your kind help.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

If you run defpub with no arguments after Wordworth opens on the public screen, then the screen will close automatically when you quit WordWorth. If you follow broadblues advice and leave the GUI & palette settings in the Screens prefs as "Use defaults" then Wordworth opens with an OS 3.1 style GUI (plain dragbar and scrollers) with normal colors.

There are other problems though. If you set the default public screen back to Workbench by entering "defpub" then Wordworth windows (settings etc.) open on Workbench. If you leave Wordworth as the default public screen then most Workbench programs (prefs etc.) will open on the Wordworth screen. Tricking Wordworth into opening on a public screen just isn't going to work perfectly and may not be worthwhile.

Go to top

Register To Post