Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Network attacks blocked... *from* FTP Mount!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Does anyone have any idea why Kaspersky's firewall occasionally (but regularly) reports that it has blocked a network attack, when I am using FTP Mount on OS4 (over a local network) to access a FileZilla FTP server on my PC?

It has done this for at least a year or two. The IP address is clearly my Amiga, and the port numbers range from about 50000 to 50099 (seemingly at random). It happens about once per minute when heavily using FTP Mount (say to compare files).

The FileZila FTP server listens on port 21, of course.

EDIT: From browsing FileZilla's settings, I just discovered that "Passive mode settings" has "Use custom port range" set to "50000 to 50100"... So the next question is, how do I stop it the problem? Would unticking "use custom port range" be sufficient & safe?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Network attacks blocked... *from* FTP Mount!
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
It's probably PASV mode, is it the 'QUICK' tooltype in FTPMount? There's one which uses a spread of ports which is likely the reason.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
From browsing FileZilla's settings, I just discovered that "Passive mode settings" has "Use custom port range" set to "50000 to 50100"... So the next question is, how do I stop it the problem? Would unticking "use custom port range" be sufficient & safe?

I never understood what "passive" mode is.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Possibly, and if you add the SLOW tooltype in your connection in FTPMount that will stop it spamming the server.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Passive is when the client and the server start talking on port 21 but then the client is passive and the server talks to him on a port from its port range (50000 to 50100 in your case).
The server chooses a communication port at random from the defined range.
My guess is that Kaspersky warns you when the server chooses a port which is not opened in its settings. You need to change the settings to open all ports of the range.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top

Register To Post