Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

geennaam, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 36 »
Re: Any altivec experts? (H.264 codec)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans

Yes but you are in a small market where if you consider the time spent for develop like any other platforms or project you will never see nothing new. You cannot ask 3000 eur for a couple of fix. Sorry but Amiga platform has so few developers that if you think that you can make money like other platforms will destroy all we have done in this years.
I think that anyone (and this is for sure) will donate to Live4it if he will release the fixes. I think he has already received many donations for his work. No one is telling that the work should be free. But not at that prices. Not on our OS.

And it is also curious that no one want to see OS4 open sourced but ALL want to make money on open source projects. Why don't release OS4 open source? This will save the OS otherwise there is no way to get out of this situation. Why OS4 is so different from any other project in the world??

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

So, conclusion is that feanor's work is void because noone wants to build mplayer (at a reasonable price in Amiga-land). That's too bad, I was looking forward to this new version...

@kas1e

So how much do I have to pay you to give us a new Odyssey with the latest webkit?? The current engine is showing its age with an increasing number of webpages starting to fail. We need a new build soon...

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Deniil
On AROS deadwood has already experimented with updating webkit in the currently public version of Odyssey. It might be problematic to build with GCC 4.4.5 though as webkit is getting more and more C++11-heavy :\

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil
I only port what Fab do (with your help if you remember :) ), dunno if my skills is enough to put myself newer webkit code in.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
Yes but you are in a small market...

The market size is irrelevant. LiveForIt has made it clear that he needs to focus his time and effort on getting a new job (hugely important). Given the situation, either we pay him to work on what we want (i.e., an updated mplayer), or he's got to focus on what's important for him. Yes, it's a shame that the price is too high for us, but that simply means that we're going to have to wait until he has the time and motivation to work on it (or until someone else decides to do the work).

Personally, I think that he'd be better off putting everything else aside (AmigaOS projects included), and focusing on finding a new job. There'll be time for hobbies later.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I'm in the same situation. Indeed i've stopped to work to any OS4 related stuff since i've lost my real work. I know what are his feelings.
Regard the market size. Well i think this is really important. If we (all) want to resurrect the AmigaOS we must understand that we aren't on windows or mac where you can sell all your software without any problems. And if someone that isn't in the amiga land wants to come back to use cannot see that if he wants to buy something must spend all his money. We have already expensive hardware. We want also expensive software?
This is only an opinion of course.

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@afxgroup

+1

@all

I really think that, especially now, AmigaOS developers have to do what they do in their "free" time I think since the real life was every day more difficult unfoprtunately...
However I dont think LiveForIt will go around looking for work 24/24 every day...but I'm sure him motivation was really low since it dont have no bases to support him life so also Amiga related motivation was low...and than? Simply:

- Accept the small market tha tAmigaOS have and to what to do in spare(from looking for work) time geting from that some little money but always better than nothing....Amiga related stuffs, imho, cant be like real work or as someone spoke wait for a new work and than regain motiovation also on hobbyes(and I also know perfectly that unfortunately...)

So noone I think wants from noone to do anything for free or something like it but in Amiga-land, imho noone have to hope to work for "real" prices while also on real life often that dont happes...

Just for an example...

I spent something like 250+ EUR to buy Hollywood from version 4 to version 6 and I get about 25 EUR from my (not so)little Program "LoView" that ok was a crappy Hollywood program and also was made by me that I was all but a programmer but I do it for fun and dont really expect anything in exchange...and REALLY we need a good image viewer in AmigaOS4 I think...quite also need mplayer...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
We have already expensive hardware. We want also expensive software?

Or you can see in different way if they can afford expensive hardware, then you have cash to pay for software. If people are not interested to pay for it to get it NOW, it just shows there not so important it can wait.

No one are forced to donated or give money to a bounty. If people don't have money and can't pay for it, or think it's too expensive that’s fine also.

Anyway is 10 Euro Is not affordable? X1000 price is 2975.00 GBP that is 4141.22 EUR.

AmigaOS4.1 Final costs 31.50 Euro, sure there are lots of work done on that and most time was done for free, but no thanked 31.50 Euro was too expensive.

And if you're really lucky MikeJT might do it for free. You don't need me to do it. But if you want me to do it my cards on the table.

I don't understand the need to go crazy over some asking for pay.

If you want people to donate 5 Euro for the same work, and your willing to do it, or your willing to do it for free, that's OK too.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 16:04:23
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 16:21:10
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 16:30:56
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 16:36:05
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 16:36:53
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 16:37:25
Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/4/15 22:09:43
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tuxedo

Quote:
I dont think LiveForIt will go around looking for work 24/7 every day...

True, I waste time on lots of things, I should not, TV, Games, I go to toilet and sh*t, and so on, I eat and do lots things, I stay on forums, I use Facebook, and bunch of other stuff I should not.

It's easy to think just because I'm unemployed I have nothing to do, that’s not the problem, focusing on what is important is the problem.

AmigaOS projects are just one more distraction I do not need, I'm easy sucked in and when I am sucked in its hard to let go. I am not that great at multitasking. I'm good at solving problems by not giving up.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

If there are prjects that you'd like to port, or software you want to write. Why not ask for some money? If people like or want it. They will support you. No harm in asking???

@Liveforit
Just put up a bounty, with the desired sum. And we will see how much you will get.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

"Anyway is 10 Euro Is not affordable?"

But to fill your bounty (more than 2000€) you will need to find 200 OS4 users (at 10€ each).

I doubt that there is still 200 actives OS4 users around but even if there are, as you know, a lot of os4 users want things but don't want to spend their own money.
They prefer give advices but when it's time to pay, it's better when it's someone else.
Look at feanor bounty, not a lot of backers... OK, Altivec only bounty but applicable on AOne XE, Pegasos2, X1000.

Or look at Odyssey Bounty, certainly than 90% of os4 users uses it but only 192 backers in total including a lot of MOS and Aros guys.

"X1000 price is 2975.00 GBP that is 4141.22 EUR."
X1000 price is 2975€ and not 4141 but, yes, a lot more than 10€. It doesn't change your point.

Nevertheless, as Antique say, let's go ;)

And did you see my AmiUpdate "how-to" ?

Edited by zzd10h on 2015/4/15 20:20:20
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@afxgroup

Please sell your software at amistore or directly by paypal. We need your software as well as others.

From music industry, even many bands are arranging pledge campaigns for new recordings.

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

well...mybe my bad english was not clear but basically I mean that on Amiga-land since it was a tiny market the work done have to be done without so much hopes in revenue...because:

1 - work done on AmigaOS have to be done for fun primarly I think
2 - I dont think that you have time to waste...only said that even a bit of income doing something you (I hope) like was nice to have
3 - noone will forse you to do what you wont to do...but was right to expose the opinion of everyone....
4 - I think that was not so good complain for bad donations in the last year...if you started work on some project(s) and dont get what you want maybe at beginning you dont asked what you are doing and why are you doing it...

And excusme if it seems rude or so but, I repeat, my english wasnt so good...

@afxgroup

honestly I miss a lot your works!

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Quote:
And did you see my AmiUpdate "how-to" ?

Sound easy, maybe 30 min work, I don't need cash for that.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Haven't read the whole thread, but why do we begrudge supporting liveforit who has delivered many thing for us, yet many willingly gave money to feanor for iterative and as yet unproven tweaks...? Crazy.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
We'd better wait for DvPlayer to be released (if it ever happens, I doubt it...) or wait for Fab1 to integrate Feanor's changes to MorphOS's MPlayer and then wait for Kas1e to port it to AmigaOS 4.1

Then we will (well I will anyway), as usual, donate to those people to thank them for their work.

If at least the actual MPlayer version from LiveForIt was bug free. But it's far from being the case (P96 output is buggy, lots of YouTube videos are trashed, only X1000 can get speed enhancements, not Sam460, etc...).

This i the reason why I did not send any money to LiveForIt. But I gave away 150 bucks to Feanor's bounty for his improvements (and he must laugh at us regarding how we behave today).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
I'm in the same situation. Indeed i've stopped to work to any OS4 related stuff since i've lost my real work. I know what are his feelings.

Yes, it sucks to be in that situation, but that's life. You should fully be able to understand him not being willing to work on OS4 stuff unpaid while he's in this situation, then.

Quote:
Regard the market size. Well i think this is really important. If we (all) want to resurrect the AmigaOS we must understand that we aren't on windows or mac where you can sell all your software without any problems. And if someone that isn't in the amiga land wants to come back to use cannot see that if he wants to buy something must spend all his money. We have already expensive hardware. We want also expensive software?
This is only an opinion of course.

Nobody is disputing that the AmigaOS "market" is too small for developers to make a full time living off it. It's certainly great that there are developers with the time and motivation to donate their efforts for free. We've certainly benefited from their efforts.

However, and this is key, developers donated their time and effort of their own free will. They had the time, and decided that this is what they wanted to do. We have no right to demand that they do it, especially from people who cannot afford to. The market size is not an excuse.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

Quote:
...only X1000 can get speed enhancements, not Sam460, etc...).

The composited video and DMA transfer enhancements work on both machines. It's not his fault that the Sam460 is a much slower machine.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

Firstly, I am not laughing, maybe a bit sad. Secondly, I completely understand LiveForIt's reasons. Coding for free is what I do only for my pet projects, for things that *I* want to code, because I like to, it benefits me some way or because I believe in it. If other people find any of that useful or interesting so much the better, but there is no guarrantee for that. In the case of FOSS, of which I have become part since 1997, I both like it and believe in its open/free nature. A small contribution in a foss project will probably benefit many people but I would still like it for personal reasons mostly. For work, I was lucky to be paid for many years to work on FOSS projects like Debian and others. However that is no longer the case unless there is an exception -as it was in the ffmpeg optimizations- and I charge companies for my services, which is fair and just for both parties.

However, AmigaOS even as superior as it was at its time -and in some aspects still is- decided to stay in the closed/proprietary with no change over the years. The accepted paradigm in this case, at least as I remember it has been shareware. When I still had my Amiga, I was happy to pay for software that I used and I still remember MUI, ProEdit, IBrowse and several others that the names elude me after those years.

Some of those might probably use components that were open source already but so heavily modified/optimized for AmigaOS that the work involved definitely justified the amount paid. I would never consider it unfair just because the main component was open source -heck iirc, the whole TCP/IP stack was based on BSD4.4 at that time.

I don't want to rant, but since AmigaOS is so different that it justifies a week's -or more?- work from LiveForIt -or anyone else for that matter- to get Mplayer to shape and there is no way for someone to just do a recompile, and since current society is hard and people have to work in order to survive, I find the whole discussion unfair to LiveForIt. For that matter, nobody is forcing anyone to play movies on AmigaOS, you could easily load another OS for that. You all *want* to because it is your system of choice. Since there is not enough critical mass like in Linux/Windows to get enough developers to code multiple renditions of a single software on the OS (think VLC/Mplayer/Mplayer2/Totem/FFMPeg/Libav/etc), the way I see it you have 2 choices, either do the integration yourselves, or pay someone else to do it for you. Someone with knowledge and experience of the platform.

(Just said that I don't want to rant and here I am ranting)
To cut the long story short, I agree with LiveForIt, as someone that knows how hard it is to fix bugs in software written by others, he has the right to charge whatever he feels like. Bashing him for having asked for his work to be respected -in monetary form- is unfair. Many of you paid thousands of $/€/* for your hardware, why expect the software to be free? Even in Linux, *ALL* the core components are written by people who are paid to work on them.

Sorry for your time, (and knowing that I still have some remaining code to commit and some patches to send upstream, which I have not forgotten).

EDIT: Come to think of it, I don't think it was IBrowse, and maybe it was ProfEdit or Pedit and not ProEdit, but anyway it was a great editor for developers, which I was so glad to have bought, and a great tool for Exec.library optimized replacement functions, still forget its name :)

Edited by feanor on 2015/4/15 23:31:19
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Issue 26: Implementing menus in mplayer I think that take around one week so - 750 Euro.
Issue 27: Drag and Drop, (3 days work) - 450 Euro.
Issue 33: Install script, (2 days work) - 300 Euro.
Issue 34: Adding Screenshotdir and EXTPATTERN (2 days work) - 300 Euro.
Issue 36: AmiUpdate support (30 min) - 0 Euro.

Come on,let us make a fixed price.
1200 Euro for all without taxes and i will create a bounty at bountysource.com
We have to collect:
1200 Euro
+10% bountysource fee
+1,9% + 0,35 Euro per transaction

1343,15 Euro

Live rates at 2015.04.16 05:40:00 CEST
1.343,15 EUR = 1.438,25 USD
Since there are always fluctuations, i would collect 1.450 USD

Certainly it must be open source

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 36 »