Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
173 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 173

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 36 »
Re: Any altivec experts? (H.264 codec)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor
Nice progress

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor
You got your money. A few minutes ago I was at my bank to transfer the money.

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommysammy

Thanks!
I am in the process of producing a report with some benchmarks with several videos -apart from the Prometheus. And I also have to clean up more patches and commit them to my tree.

Rest assured, I found plenty of stuff to continue work on Altivec so I'm not going to stop regardless the bounty (for the record I'm at 32/35 hours). Of course, nothing would please me more to continue to work on Altivec on a more permanent basis :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor
That sounds good

@all
feel free to donate some extra money for feanor's extra work.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

Here are some benchmarks with the "unpatched" version (as in the one I forked from on github) and mine (until rev 893065a), using 30 second clips (-t 30 on the command line). I have many more patches to apply but I have to clean them up first.

Video           Container  |Resolution Video Codec Audio Codec Time/FPS(unpatched) | Time/FPS(893065a) | Gain(%) |
Prometheus      |    mp4     |   1080p   |   h264      |    aac      50.908s/14          48.912s/15        |   4,0%  |
Big Buck Bunny  |    mov     |   1080p   |   h264      |    aac      61.976s/11          56.708s/12        |   9,0%  |
Big Buck Bunny  |    mov     |    720p   |   h264      |    aac      27.492s/26          24.944s/28        |   9,9%  |
Big Buck Bunny  |    mov     |    480p   |   h264      |    aac      12.180s/58          11.548s/61        |   5,4%  |
Tears of Steel  |    mov     |   1080p   |   h264      |    aac      45.740s/15          41.332s/17        |  10,6%  |
Tears of Steel  |    mov     |    720p   |   h264      |    mp3      22.252s/32          20.244s/35        |   9,9%  |
Tears of Steel  |    mkv     |    720p   |   h264      |    aac      24.856s/28          23.196s/30        |   7,1%  |
Sintel          |    mkv     |   1080p   |   h264      |    ac3      77.408s/9.1         75.284s/9.4       |   2.8%  |
Sintel          |    mov     |    720p   |   h264      |    ac3      36.452s/19          35.088s/20        |   3.8%  |

So, conclusions, so far not unsurprisingly even though there are some obvious gains, it's going to be very hard to achieve proper playback on h264 1080p on low end machines. I still have some patches that may give an extra few %, but at least on my system (G4@1Ghz) I don't expect that. Maybe with more optimizations 720p will be playable, but I'm not really hopeful for the 1080p. On the other hand, my machine is a really low end and with a very slow memory bus.

However, I'll keep working on this so regardless of the bounty as it's extremely intriguing, so it can only get better I think :)

I'll be posting updates here, as usual and on my blog soon.

Edited by feanor on 2015/1/20 14:43:02
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor

Interesting results!
Do you know why the gain differs so much between seemingly equal movies; same codec, same resolution?

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@feanor

I know that the goal was not guaranted but, regarding your results, have we any chance to see "Prometheus h 264 1920x1080 works on a X1000" regarding than X1000 is 1,8 ghz ?

Thank you

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Deniil

It depends on the codec parameters, and the movie itself and actually it changes within the same movie as well, for example, Prometheus is decoded at ~30fps in the beginning as it's a plain green background with some letters. The more action packed a scene is, the harder it is to compress/decompress, and hence the lower the FPS are.

@zzd10h

what's the current fps on that one? (don't forget that ffmpeg is benchmarking the decoding only, not display itself, so you have extra overhead there). Right now, on that particular movie, the gain is 4%, I expect it can get up to 6% with some more twiddling, but not much more. Otoh, there are other aspects, like ac3/aac decoding which can get optimized as well, or better memory prefetching -as suggested by corto in personal email- and general optimizations.

I'm sorry if that is not sufficient, the fact that my powerpc system is slow does not help the pace of development, I am thinking of getting an cheap old imac g5 to help with that, waiting for a G4 to build stuff -even upgraded with a SATA SSD- does not really help compile times :-/

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@feanor

Thank you for the honest reply.

Is somebody know at how many fps runs Prometheus ?
(as everybody said that it was too slow, I never tried myself)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@zzd10h
Here it runs with 21 fps with RadeonHD 2.4+FE+RadeonHD6870.,There are 4fps missing. Note that there is room to optimaze RadeonHD 2.4 driver. I think in a few month it is possible.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommysammy

21 fps, that's ~15% slower than needed. We got the 4-5% covered, so we need an extra 10% improvement, which is not something trivial, but it's not unheard of either. I'm always saying "there is _always_ room for improvement", but it's unclear how much.

Anyway, I'll post the remaining patches and new numbers soon.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tommysammy
Quote:
Here it runs with 21 fps with RadeonHD 2.4+FE+RadeonHD6870.,There are 4fps missing. Note that there is room to optimaze RadeonHD 2.4 driver. I think in a few month it is possible.

No.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

No. Not possible, or No. Not by you?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
No. It has already been optimized to its extent by Hans. It will be the best the driver can achieve in this domain.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

Quote:
No. It has already been optimized to its extent by Hans. It will be the best the driver can achieve in this domain.

Correct. While I can never say that it's perfectly optimal, the composited video code is about as optimal as I can make it.

More importantly, if you look at the benchmarks then the driver overhead is tiny compared to everything else. You won't be getting any extra fps from driver optimizations.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Ok, many thanks.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

I checked Prometheus trailer again.
It runs here with 19fps and not 21 fps.My fault.
I read somewhere that there is room for optimization for graphic.library and RadeonHD driver. Maybe i am wrong.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor

Maybe you can send me your new work and i can do some benchmarks too.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommysammy

It's at https://github.com/markos/FFmpeg

Just finished another small optimization and will do some more commits today.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tommysammy

Where can I grab the benchmarked Prometheus video please ?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 36 »