Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 36 »
Re: Any altivec experts? (H.264 codec)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor
You got an PN

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rwo
Yes but read the first comments of the News about this bounty. It explains why TommySammy added 10% to the bounty :

http://www.amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2156

About the extra money, maybe that it could be useful for AmiDark to buy a new OS4 system. And only for a OS4 system because all the backers are OS4 users.

Backers, what do you think about this idea ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@zzd10h

I'am not a fan of AmiDark and I very much doubt that it will every be used for anything good.

So I would not put my money into such bounty, and as such can't get my vote.

“The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Is somebody know what are the others opened bounty ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@feanor

[quote]...VAT is not included for invoices within the EU (but would be included if for example invoicing a US company)...[/qoute]
That doesn't sound right. A company/person outside the EU doesn't pay VAT as long as the products/services are consumed outside the EU (which they would be, even if you do the programming within EU borders).

If you were required to charge VAT on everything sold to people outside the EU, then I would get double-taxed with VAT and NZ GST on everything that I buy from the EU. Not only that, but I'd be paying tax that funds a foreign country's government services that I don't even use. That would be a big motivator to never do business with anyone in the EU.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

(Note: I'm talking about services not products, I have no idea what the status is there, but I do know for a fact that it's an entirely different and more complex game).

I've been invoicing companies in the US/EU since 2004, for software development services rendered and I've never had to include VAT inside the EU (mostly Germany and UK), but I did have to include it in the price for US based companies -as I did have to pay it locally in the end. I think this falls in the category of double-taxation avoidance treaties between the countries, I think Greece/USA have been signed only very recently. It's different between every country it seems, the only common ground is VAT exemption between EU countries. For that matter, I have no idea what the case would be if I had to invoice a NZ-based company, when in doubt, I just ask my accountant who definitely knows more than me in such matters :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@feanor
Quote:
(Note: I'm talking about services not products, I have no idea what the status is there, but I do know for a fact that it's an entirely different and more complex game).

I know. What I said applies for both, although the definition of where a service is "consumed" is more complex than a product. Either way, where you do the work isn't the defining factor.

Quote:
I've been invoicing companies in the US/EU since 2004, for software development services rendered and I've never had to include VAT inside the EU (mostly Germany and UK), but I did have to include it in the price for US based companies -as I did have to pay it locally in the end. I think this falls in the category of double-taxation avoidance treaties between the countries, I think Greece/USA have been signed only very recently.

I doubt it. Tax treaties usually cover income tax. VAT, GST, and similar sales taxes are not an income tax, but a consumption tax. You don't pay the tax, your client/customer does; the government just appointed you to be the tax collector.

In fact, if I sell enough to customers in EU countries, then the EU claims that my NZ company would have to become VAT registered and start collecting VAT. Yes, even if my company has no physical presence in Europe. **

I think that this is more of a case of VAT becoming so complex that even accountants don't understand/agree-on the rules. There's a similar problem with sales tax in the USA, where there are disagreements as to whether/when an out-of-state (or even foreign) company has to collect state sales tax. I distinctly remember someone claiming that they had to charge VAT on the software that they sold to people outside the EU, despite the fact that official EU government websites say to the contrary, and that other EU companies don't. Well, that's what his accountant said...

Quote:
For that matter, I have no idea what the case would be if I had to invoice a NZ-based company, when in doubt, I just ask my accountant who definitely knows more than me in such matters :)

Yes, you definitely need to trust your accountant; trying to figure it out on your own can make your head spin.

Fortunately for me, NZ law for GST is much simpler. My headaches start when places like the EU and USA start trying to claim jurisdiction over online transactions involving their citizens, even if the website is in a different country.

Hans

** NOTE: AFAIK, there's still debate as to whether governments can assert jurisdiction over online transactions taking place on foreign websites. My website clearly states that all use (incl. sales) will be governed by NZ law, but I don't think that the jurisdiction matter has been properly tested in the courts.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@feanor
You got a pn

We collected 884,17 Euro
As i understand right, you will send me the invoice
and i have to pay the 19% vat here in germany.

805Euro + 19% vat = 957,95Euro

957,95 Euro- 884,17 Euro = 73,78Euro missing

I will pay it from my own pocket.

Where can i get a vat number in germany?

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommysammy

As I said in a private message, I am pretty sure I have to invoice a legal entity, and not an individual, so that means having a VAT # is a must. Maybe you could find some Amiga-related company that could accept the invoice? Furthermore, I will send the invoice, when I have completed the number of hours promised and when some results can be shown and replicated by others, but not before. It's not going to take long though, I hope to be done sometime within the next 10 days or so.

Edited by feanor on 2014/12/15 13:20:09
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

I think that this is more of a case of VAT becoming so complex that even accountants don't understand/agree-on the rules. There's a similar problem with sales tax in the USA, where there are disagreements as to whether/when an out-of-state (or even foreign) company has to collect state sales tax. I distinctly remember someone claiming that they had to charge VAT on the software that they sold to people outside the EU, despite the fact that official EU government websites say to the contrary, and that other EU companies don't. Well, that's what his accountant said...

I remember some years ago I asked just this thing to my accountant and he had to call the tax agency, and some fellow accountants, on whether one can deduct VAT from services to a US company. He was definitely confused at first but eventually it turned out that services are different from products -for which you can go to customs and collect the extra VAT paid. There is supposed to be some different status quo in this case -he did refer to some laws, I can ask if you like- but the end result was that I had to include VAT in the invoice for s/w development services rendered to a US company.
I also think that this whole situation is hellishly confusing and overcomplicated, but since I got the final ack from my accountant, I have no choice but to follow his suggestion.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tommysammy
Quote:
Where can i get a vat number in germany?

You need to have a company for that.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@feanor
I dont know for Greece, but in Italy it's possible
to do invoices also to normal people, not only to
company, the vat number it's not mandatory everyone
here have it's own fiscal code, naturally this way
the vat is lost

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@pvanni

Intra-EU invoicing needs valid VAT # I think, as invoices are registered to IntraStat/VIES service for cross checks, but I'm going to ask my accountant nevertheless.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@feanor

Ofcourse you don;t need a VAT number from Tommy SAmmy to invoice him, if you did then no utility company could ever send you a bill!

You would only need the VAT number if you were not charging VAT to a VAT registered company.

If TommySammy is willing to pay the VAT (or the fund raiser could raise the extra) then just invoice him for the fee plus VAT.

Ofcourse If there was an amiga related VAT registered company that could legitamatly handle this without teh VAT so much the better.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@feanor

Quote:
...There is supposed to be some different status quo in this case -he did refer to some laws, I can ask if you like- but the end result was that I had to include VAT in the invoice for s/w development services rendered to a US company....

No need to ask. The chances are that if you asked a different accountant then you'd get a different answer. Besides, the insaneness of VAT/sales-tax laws is off-topic in this thread.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all
Are all the others Amiga required VAT payment ?

@Feanor

Why this VAT is necessary ?

Could you simply receive the money as donation and start to work on the optimisation as a "hobby" ?

Thank you for your explanations.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Does invoicing have to come into play at all? That's the first time I've heard invoices being mentioned in connection with a bounty.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@zzd10h

Sure I could do that, but as I work as a freelancer already, invoicing for my services is something I do anyway and thought people would take it for granted.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@feanor
It's just because it looks unusual (and overcomplicated) in Amiga bounty habits.

Therefore, are you OK to work as a "hobby" (without VAT) ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

You can't ask someone who works on something as afreelance professional to take a payment as a hobby.

In fact any works done for pay is liable for income tax, whether it's a hoby or not. The tax man does not differentiate n that way.

The seperate complication of VAT here is because I presume feanors turnover is usfficiently high to require VAT registration or he has voulentarialy registered (whichever is not our business).

The fact is most bounties are taken by amateurs, who probably don't kep their tax affairs in order (unless they are self employed), that's why formalities are overlooked.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 36 »