Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

My wish-list for Gallium3D :-)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi

So Gallium still wasnt annonced/released for this year ... again

The good thing is that is not finished so perhaps can add those features that often are missing in Amigaish OpenGL implementations...

The facts :
AmigaOS graphics are based on struct bitmap.
There are others "things" like windows, screens, etc...
but at the end they are bitmaps too
CompositeTags (aka the "Compositing") use intensively
bitmaps as "input" (=textures) and as output (="screen")
It will use it for YUV conversion too so for displaying videos (btw GREAT !!!! it will allow great effects in the most Amigaish way)
But Wazp3D use bitmap as output (="screen") but NOT as input (=textures) also current Warp3D cant render in a texture

So the wish-list for Gallium3D:

1) Create GLcontext from a screen or a window or a bitmap
2) Once GLcontext created and running can change the output bitmap
3) Can use a bitmap as input for creating a texture without conversion/reallocation (if the format is supported of course)
4) Can render in a texture as output
5) An existing texture can be seen as a bitmap without conversion/reallocation (if the format is supported of course)

Then it will allow to mix Composition/video/3D : big fun

Alain Thellier - Wazp3D

Go to top
Re: My wish-list for Gallium3D :-)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thellier

Being able to mix 2D/3D APIs would definitely be nice. As far as the GPU is concerned, graphics.library bitmaps are simply linear textures/render-targets with no mipmapping. So, what you're suggesting might be possible.

Well, it depends how Gallium3D is structured. Using decoded video frames directly in OpenGL is a struggle on Windows too due to API design. AFAIK, it officially isn't supported, although NVidia created a custom extension specifically for this.** Warp3D was created back when there were separate 2D and 3D units on the graphics card, and APIs like OpenGL treated textures as totally separate.

Gallium3D definitely allows render-to-texture. Hopefully using system bitmaps as textures is possible too.

Quote:
It will use it for YUV conversion too so for displaying videos (btw GREAT !!!! it will allow great effects in the most Amigaish way)

I really hope that someone does use composited video for effects. Doing cross-fades between 2 videos should be dead easy, and it has the potential to do a lot more transitions and effects (like Videotoaster did).

Hans

** IIRC, AMD support NVidia's video extension too, but the drivers on my machine are too old (thank's to Apple not updating Bootcamp regularly with the latest drivers).

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
although I can't even pretend to understand the all the technical goodness you guys are talking about BUT it sounds like good news & good times coming to us in OS4.2, heck maybe we can jump straight to V5.0 with full3D

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
i hope with gallium 3d and the new 4.2 kernel will come on amigaos some good software free like Qemu.
And why not the Dolphin (game cube/wii) and the nulldc 360 (dreamcast) for close the Ludo-gap of with much modern games .
This last emulator was released for Xbox 360 a ppc machine and can gave an opportunity for have it on miggys
I know this last too porting will be hard but let me hope :P

Go to top

Register To Post